Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Ride to the Sun 2016 – Carlisle-Cramond beach, overnight, solstice, 100m ride
  • fasthaggis

Bring it 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve subsituted training for a last minute dynamo wheel build

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve substituted training for a last minute cram in a week of commuting to give a semi semblance of fitness!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What time are y’all planning on kicking off from Carlisle?.

thenorthwind

Me and a couple of mates from work planning to leave 6, half 6. Will be in Carlisle a bit earlier as we’re cadging a lift. STW meetup anyone?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Looking forward to this.

Setting off from Carlisle at 8. I want to be in Cramond for sunrise, and I don’t want to be rushing!

thenorthwind

My preparation has included destroying my legs with the Clennell Colossus on Sunday and spending the rest of the week mainly eating cake.

fatmax

Folks, the weather is indeed looking good. Fingers crossed.
    Last eshot with a bit of timeline coming tomorrow lunchtime.
    Sincerely hope you all enjoy it.
    Of the two organisers I’m the tall lanky one, please come and say hello. We’ll be at Carlisle from 6.
    Do I need to put up a STW sign in Bitts Park for a rendezvous point? 😉
    All the best, Fraser

fatmax

856 as of today, which is pretty cool, though there’s a late flurry of injuries and excuses from a few folk…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hebden – my plan exactly!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve just started 3 12hr nightshifts in preparation 🙂 should be a scoosh. Body clock will be the right way round. Me and Nobeer will be pedalling back to Glasgow afterwards too……mibee 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmmmm… we’ll see…. 👿

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hopefully the first train from Edinburgh to weegie on a Sunday morning will be quiet enough to get bikes on. And a sleep!.

fasthaggis

I had half an idea to go down to the coast then ride back up to Carlisle for 8.00 .Make it a proper coast to coast an all that 😉

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I did wonder how far away the coast was…

joshvegas
    Free Member

If the mainline is looking dubious for bikes to weege try the helensburgh line it takes longer but a bit more “dump bikes” friendly

fasthaggis

I did wonder how far away the coast was…

Silloth is about 25 miles.
    Don’t know what it would be like zig zagging on the B roads.
    I will see how much time I have once I get to Carlisle.

fatmax

Bowness on Solway is 13 miles out of Carlisle…or the stretch of the River Eden that you go over is still tidal if that makes life easier?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Fatmax, I’ll take the river eden 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Well having broken my wrist 4 weeks ago today… I’ll be at the start line (and hopefully at the end too!)

Hoping the road surface is quite good.

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh good, I see there are veggie options at the end. I guess I’d better just HTFU if the wrist plays up then!

Looking forward to it!

Chew
    Free Member

Anyone planning on doing the double?

Unsure what the rails will be like to get back to Carlise, so was just planning on a few hours of kip of the Beach before heading back.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Vaguely VERY VAGUELY considering riding from peebles to carlisle.

Having said that I’m just in the sorting office hoping they have my aforementioned rim.

JPR
    Free Member

This’ll be fine on fixie, right?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

, I see there are veggie options at the end.

I’m guessing there is no vegan option?

Anyway I’ll be there probably on my Brown/Gold Mercian 2 speed

philjunior
    Free Member

This’ll be fine on fixie, right?

In a word, yes. Devil’s beeftub will drag on a bit and from there it’ll be a bit spinny, depending what gear you’re running.

imnotverygood

Oh good, I see there are veggie options at the end

where did you see that?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Difficult to decide on clothing options for tonight.

3/4 bibs, s/s jersey and armwarmers I think.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wheel built lights tested. Maltloaf and a single serve roija for ‘mergencies.

Short top and bottom with warmers.

Its the additional layer i’m hesitant about. How cold is 8 degrees when you’d rather be in bed…

imnotverygood

It’ always colder than you think after midnight. I always add an extra layer for overnight riding.

butcher

It looks like it’s going to be relatively warm tonight. Met Office saying about 10-11 degrees. The humidity helps a bit. Don’t think the cold will be bothering anyone too much. Though it is on that tipping point between hot and cold! Arm warmer to be on the safe side, maybe. And a good baselayer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not planning on going fast enough to get too hot!

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Just given my bike a preparatory once-over. Loads of stuff wrong with it. I wish I’d never bothered 🙂

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Oh and 36% chance of precipitation overnight, having checked weather for Lockerbie and Moffatt. The boil-in-the-bag is going in the back pocket

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well that was good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not half, wicked route, brilliantly organised. Nice sunrise for a bit and a free beer.

Now in wetherspoons devouring brekkie before getting train home.

Thanks so much Fatmax! Don’t think you could’ve picked a better night!

boxelder

Well done chaps.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Great night, thanks! More knackered from missing the nights sleep than the ride I think.

Got a puncture at 99 miles so rode the last 2 miles with a flat as I couldn’t be bothered to stop and fix it 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Feeling pretty good now.

Must ride more!

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

What a great ride. Thoughts:

1. My hands were so cold on the Devil’s Beef Tub descent that I couldn’t change gear.

2. The disco stop was surreal and brilliant. In an Apocalypse Now sort of way. Who was the jester who gave me a banana? Whoever you were, I think I love you.

3. What is with those road surfaces? I’m running 28s next year.

and a free beer.

Where was this? ‘Cos I missed it!

5. What’s the score with the Shand Cycles prize draw? How did we enter? (I must have missed this as well)

6. See you next year

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Ride to the Sun 2016 – Carlisle-Cramond beach, overnight, solstice, 100m ride’ is closed to new replies.