Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rich list – why is it published?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Do the peasants of England care what other people are worth ?

Adele richest female singer… And why do we need to know ?

Do you care ?

I’m considerably richer than yaw !

Thoughts ??

scaredypants

we’re all obsessed by celebrity and glitzy shite – of course we care

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think it is good as it gives an idea of the distribution of wealth, and whether it is right or wrong. Can also act as a motivator to aspire.

Of course then you get people like OP who are jealous/lack aspiration/defeatist so see it as a negative

GrahamS

On the suspicion that rich people tend to also be people with undue power and influence, I don’t see any harm in knowing who those people are.

footflaps

If it helps highlight the vast inequality in society then it’s doing a good service (although I realise that’s not why they publish it).

Amazed that Enya is worth more than Adele. How many copies of Orinocho Flow did people buy?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

op I assume you care as you started the thread?

nedrapier

I’d imagine there’s more than a few on that list who look at their posted numbers and chuckle about the rest, stashed away wherever it’s stashed.

Stoner
    Free Member

Helps me set the order of numbers on my cold call auto dialer

jambalaya
    Free Member

Because people are interested and it sells a lot of newspapers / generates a lot of ad clicks. FWIW its quite poorly researched with many people missing and inaccurate data.

What sort of undue influence does Adele have exactly @Graham ? Or Sir Paul McCartney he’s worth £750m so he should be running the country, no ?

northernmatt

What sort of undue influence does Adele have exactly @Graham ?

She could influence the profits of whichever Greggs branch is nearest to her,

SaxonRider

I think it is good as it gives an idea of the distribution of wealth, and whether it is right or wrong. Can also act as a motivator to aspire.

I agree with this. Although I would add that publishing the names of the richest can also increase accountability in terms of taxes and things.

warns74
    Free Member

Did someone say rich list….

STATO
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Of course then you get people like OP who are jealous/lack aspiration/defeatist so see it as a negative

So your not jealous like the OP, you just think people with wealth shouldn’t have it?

gordimhor

Sad to say I agree with jamba the list is poorly researched and inaccurate clickbait. It’s onanism for the avaricious.

GrahamS

What sort of undue influence does Adele have exactly @Graham ? Or Sir Paul McCartney he’s worth £750m so he should be running the country, no ?

I dunno – but I’ve heard some rich musicians are able to buy Super Injuctions to suppress press stories that they don’t like.

While others are off testifying to Congress.

footflaps

If you went to the annual Luminati conference you’d know who was really running the country….

chakaping
    Free Member

The penny’s dropped!

You are Alan Duncan and I claim my £5.

binners

Indeed. The rich list always demonstrates that we really do live in a egalitarian meritocratic utopia where aspiration and hard work are rewarded, regardless of background.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EdN7fcGAus[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad to say I agree with jamba

If it makes you feel better just think of it as me coming round to your point of view 🙂

Those focused on this list should look at something similar from India or China, in particular the amounts

footflaps

Indeed. The rich list always demonstrates that we really do live in a egalitarian meritocratic utopia where aspiration and hard work are rewarded, regardless of background.

I’ve often thought that as I doff my cap when ever a Bentley drives past. God bless the rich.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’m not clear – should we start boycotting Adele now that she is filthy rich? Amazing to do so well, without having to work hard?

binners

But thats the point. The papers always scream “Look! Look at the pauper who’s now a multi-squillionaire”

….and while you’re looking at her you won’t be looking at the ever-present dynasties, who dominate the list, with all their inherited wealth and dodgy offshore accounts

gordimhor

[video]https://youtu.be/Ae_gRrIYn-Y[/video]

@jamba

footflaps

….and while you’re looking at her you won’t be looking at the ever-present dynasties, who dominate the list, with all their inherited wealth and dodgy offshore accounts

Surely you don’t mean Enya?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

i’m not jealous so no idea why this has been mentioned – shucks you guys are such jokers !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rich list – why is it published?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM