Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ribble SLX brakes – any reason why I shouldn't?
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, since my Avid Juicy 5s continue to stick and drag and I'm not going to have the time to have them serviced before Mayhem (and frankly they've always got on my t*ts), I'm going for the low cost/zero hassle option to ensure I can stop as well as go.

So, at 50 quid an end (less rotors, natch), these make sense right?

OMITN

retro83
    Free Member

yes, great brakes IMHO. Quite a soft lever feel compared to Elixirs or Juicys though.

Shack
    Free Member

Great brake, much better stopping power than my Hope mono minis. Only down side is they are very heavy.

ourmaninthenorth

Ace. Cheers.

Weight is less of an issue than time and cash..!

mboy
    Free Member

Only down side is they are very heavy.

"Very" seems a bit extreme!

Yeah, they're not as light as a set of Formula R1's or Avid Juicy Ultimates say, but that's not the point. They're cheap, reliable and powerful. They're also a lot lighter than many brakes on the market… So your point is?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I looked at these as they do look blimming good value!! I ended u pgetting some sh Magura Louises! If I hadn't I deffo would have gone for slx.

Wookster

Just got some 2 day………intrested to see what they are like compared to the m4's and xt's I have currently, gotta love the new bike shopping eh!?!!

Jamie
    Free Member

At that price i was going to sell my XTs and get some….then i realised that was just stupid.

Damn bargain madness.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Yep – got the SLX brakes for my Blue Pig from Ribble – great brakes at a bargain price. Did take me a while to get them bled properly (I cut the hoses down), but great brakes nonetheless.

seanodav
    Free Member

Just bought some xt brakes from there, rear hose is too short! not sure why yet as ive not spoken to them. Might pay to check hose length or they may not turn out to be a bargain.

stevio

just bought some xt's too – hoses too long – may need trimming and bleeding, other than that fantastic value even if i had to wait a few days

seanodav
    Free Member

@ Stevio, were the hoses the usual 1700mm length for the rear?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Recently got some good service from Ribble – they've had a reputation for being a bit patchy in the past but I bought an SLX chainset and BB from them last week and it arrived fast. Although they missed the preload adjuster out of it, they got it to me the next day, a real person answered the phone and it was pretty painless to resolve. Yes – they shouldn't have forgotten it, but these things happen and they sorted it very well. Ref SLX brakes – go for it. They're good.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just about to order a SLX Chainset/BB from Ribble, so better put a reminder on my order about the preload adjuster :mrgreen:

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I got a pair, they're a bargain and they're great.
    As someone else said though, very soft lever feel and quite a lot of lever travel. I like it though, just takes a bit of getting used to when I switch to the other bike and the hope minis!

Frizzer
    Free Member

I've got a set as well. I also had a very soft feel at the lever but then decided to try bleeding them and it improved things no end.

Mike
    Free Member

Recently put a set of SLX brakes on my mates bike…lever feel is super sharp and in no way soft at all. Great brakes, absolute bargain at that price

richcc
    Free Member

Don't forget the 'take7' code. Gets you some more cash off. I've just bought front and back and a 160mm rotor for £104 posted

stevio

Seanodav – …just nipped out with tape – front 900, rear 1400 apparently….

seanodav
    Free Member

Thanks for that Stevio!

antigee

bought some pre bled ones (not from Ribble) 6months or so ago and fitted without cutting cables to start with – too long but would have to have bled anyway – once bled firmed up a lot
    bit put off by how flimsy the tubes looked but depite my abusive style seem ok in action

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ribble SLX brakes – any reason why I shouldn't?’ is closed to new replies.