Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Retro goodness
  • colournoise

Just moved house and found my old PSone in a rubble sack. To my surprise it still works perfectly.

Sadly couldn’t find my old copy of Gran Turismo (sourced a replacement from Amazon though which is on its way), but have to say – it may have clunky visuals by modern standards but in gameplay and design terms have there been many better games produced ever than Wipeout2097?

CaptJon
    Free Member

try one of the emulators while you wait

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ocarina of time
    Mario cart on the SNES
    Golden eye

andytherocketeer

my last place was retro, and between me and the flatmate we had a PS1, PS2, N64, 2 Gamecubes, and a Dreamcast, all lined up, but found the limitation of SCART sockets on a TV.
    Dreamcast still the best.
    Still got the N64, and it still works, but Goldeneye seems to have lost all teh save games.
    Oh and powered the GBA the other day. Batteries have been in there 10 years and it still worked. Thought they might have leaked and corroded the contacts by now.

nach
    Free Member

in gameplay and design terms have there been many better games produced ever than Wipeout2097?

Studio Liverpool made incremental improvements and occasional steps backward with further instalments of the series. I think WipeoutHD was a high point, it gave me massive flashbacks to 2097. Sadly, most of the team were laid off a few years ago, but I can’t see Sony leaving Wipeout alone now they’re aiming to put out consumer VR hardware.

sofatester
    Free Member

Girls & Games – Never go back!

munkyboy
    Free Member

Can still pull the moves with Lara croft. An unimaginable waste of my youth in hindsight.

drlex
    Free Member

Echo Munkyboy; I can still remember the “safe” routes through the maze for many levels of PacMan, but not the French irregular verbs that I should have been committing to memory at the time.

jimjam
    Free Member

andytherocketeer
    Dreamcast still the best.

Oh yes, Megadrive notwithstanding.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Whilst sorting through some old stuff recently I found my old sega master system & mega drive still in their orginal boxes. Couldn’t resist setting them up and having a few games of alex kidd in miracle world, sonic the hedgehog, road rash etc

I didn’t get much done that day 😆

teasel
    Free Member

…in gameplay and design terms have there been many better games produced ever than Wipeout2097?

I still reckon that was a downgrade from the original, personally. It seemed too easy to turn and keep ‘on track’ – almost as if it was on rails. The original was loose and took many hours to master the handling in Rapier speed, especially the Firestar circuit. 2097 was a lot more glossy at the expense of gameplay, IMO.

You can tell I spent far too long on that grey box of time absorption, though unlike Munkyboy I was merely younger, not necessarily a youth. Good fun nonetheless…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Retro goodness’ is closed to new replies.