Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Replacement nuts and bolts for Shimano I-spec shifters
  • bentudder

I’m sure this is a fairly common-ish problem. I’ve got a pair of the new style I-Spec B SLX shifters a friend kindly called dibs on for me from a workmate of his who has upgraded his bike. They’re two rides old and were a bargain (And no, not pinched, before anyone asks). Unfortunately, they only come with one of the two types of bolt, and no nuts. I run Deore M586 levers. Anyone know where I can get hold of new / replacement nuts and bolts?
    Ta in advance!

simonm
    Free Member

Did you have any luck with this ?

bentudder

Simon, not yet. Still asking around. 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

Do you know what size they are? We’ve got loads of M3-M8 stuff in the workshop.

jimw
    Free Member

Any Shimano dealer should be able to source them, for a (really quite astonishing *) price.
    I had to do the same recently for a mate …. luckily he only needed one set.

* put it this way, it would be as cheap to buy the XT covers and bolts as a kit from CRC for two than just the bolts seperately

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m780-i-spec-direct-attach-cover/rp-prod67257

bentudder

Looking at this thread, it looks like I’d need two of the long top hat nuts: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/difference-between-shimano-i-spec-types-a-and-b

perthmtb very kindly placed a pic (I have the old brakes and the new shifters – so C*1 in the middle bottom):

Hope this helps anyone / everyone. Need to find out where I could get the top hat bits now…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have just bought a Saint iSpec shifter which I will be bolting to my Hope brake levers.
    Therefore I will not be using the metal bridge intended to sit between the shifter and Shimano brake lever, I also have the bolt that you mention ( [Assembly procedure] In the case of of C*1) going begging. Where do you want me to send it? Email in profile.

bentudder

Kayla -thank you for offering to help! The nuts have the same thread as a bottle cage bolt – so M5, I’m guessing. The extended top hat on the C*1 nut in the pic above is there to fit into the recess in the shifter bracket and hold everything in place, a bit like the nut on a chainring bolt is used to align the chainring with the hole on the crank’s spider. The bolt doesn’t protrude more than about a millimeter past the hole in the shifter bracket. Not sure if I’ve explained that terribly clearly – so apologies in advance.

Here’s a pic. The green bolt is a standard disc rotor or bottle cage bolt, with the shifter bolt from the drawings above on the right and a chainring top hat nut on the left. Even if you could give a name to the top hat bolt, that would be awesome!

bentudder

Jef,
    that’d be awesome! I’ll drop you a line. Many thanks! One down, one to go 😀

timidwheeler

I have a set of ispec B to ispec B bolts but I don’t think they look like the above. I will have a look later. Are the Deores A or B.

bentudder

Timid – many thanks! I’ve got Deore levers from 2012 or 2013 (so I’m guessing A), and SLX shifters from 2014. So any brake levers made in 2014 or later model years need the top row fittings, and anything made before needs the bottom row, which looks like this:
    I’ve got the bolts, not the nuts. If you’re fitting your shifters to ’14 levers, you’d use the stuff above them. It sounds from your description as if you have the small nut from the box to the right labelled ‘in case of A’

PS: apologies for scrawl.

bentudder

Timid, that’s the puppies! Thank you!

rhid

Sorry for returning to this old post but I too am bolt-less.

I bought new SLX 10sp shifters recently to run with my XT M785 brakes,as shown below-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-m670-10-speed-trigger-shifter/rp-prod83171

However they came with no bolts at all! Were they supposed to?? I have emailed CRC asking them to send me some as I am loathed to pay £9 for a set of flippin bolts! If they say no I will send the stupid things back and get some bar mounted ones. This whole thing has been a massive pain as I ended up having to buy a new SRAM 9sp mech to replace old ruined one as the box of shiny new Shimano 10sp stuff I got from CRC was completely useless due to there being no stupid bolts!!

Has anyone had any success in finding reasonable priced mounting hardware? I am after exactly what the OP was after all those months ago! Can anyone help?

bentudder

It’s pretty much £9 or nothing. The shifters, if they’re boxed, should come with bolts. As you say, return them if they won’t sell you the right thing, as they should come with all the mounting hardware.

neil6
    Free Member

Ive got a quick fix for a missing I-spec b nut, buy some M5 tee nuts from ebay then cut most of the pronged flanges off with a junior hacksaw or dremel, File down the sharp edges and your done. Simple as. They might not be as long or strong so don’t overtighten but it works and only costs £2 for 10.

neil6
    Free Member

Previous post was for old levers or hope tech3 levers.

bentudder

Thanks Neil – good work! Any pics?

And are these the bad boys?

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

These any good to you? My XT shifters came with two lots of fixings

bentudder

Hi all,
    Thanks to Ally (above) we’ve got some extra bits and bob! I only need one nut, and Ally’s suggested sharing out the rest of the bits to whoever needs them. Drop me a line with your address and the bit you need, and whenever they come through, I’ll send them on as a way of paying it forward.

ticsmon

Any of these bits left?

bentudder

Haven’t turned up yet – PM me with what you need and your address, and if it’s left over (someone else has also asked for some bits) I’ll send it you. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Thread resurrection, find myself in the same position been supplied the wrong bolts, and need the c*1 version. Did anyone find a uk supplier for a decent price?

bentudder

Hi all,
    sorry – life got in the way, and I owe people bolts. I’m going to go through this thread and my email and see what I can get out to people. Unfortunately, there’s a huge demand for c*1, and I think I only have one spare, so apologies in advance.

dave32
    Free Member

So does anybody still have any of these spare as I’m now looking as well..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Replacement nuts and bolts for Shimano I-spec shifters’ is closed to new replies.