Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Repairing Cross-Threaded Crank Arms….. relatively widely available/feasible??
  • m0nster2
    Free Member

Discovered that my driveside (almost) brandnew SLX crank arm has a badly crossed pedalthread today 🙁 🙁 🙁

Never done this before and am really, really, p*ssed.

Do normal (good) LBSs routinely carry out helicoiling, or Do I need to find a machine shop, or do I need to bin it…?

Doh! Doh! Doh!

JoeBones
    Free Member

Send it to me and I will rethread or helicoil (what it requires)

Cost £ 10 + post

Will return within 7 days.

brumsgrove
    Free Member

try highpath engineering: http://www.highpath.net

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try running the pedal thru from the back – you might clean the thread up enough to get it usable

m0nster2
    Free Member

Joe, Brumsgrove, TJ: Thanks for the prompt replies.

JoeBones: YGM

TJ: Thanks, but it is well and truly cheddared.

Bit of an extract from my mail to Joe:
    "…
    Didn't go to great lengths in my post but, basically, I've never seen a crossthread like it.
    I can only think that, in my haste to go for my first 200 metre spin on my new build (on Christmas Eve), I only finger tightened my surrogate (want-to-ride-it-now) pedals.
    Since then I have gone no further than 3 miles – each time in normal shoes/boots (ie Not cleated) – as I was just popping to the shop to get brakes bled etc.
    Today, within two minutes of my first proper cleated ride (on this bike) I noticed that they were floating strangely.
    On inspection, and though inserted 90% of the usable thread, it was clearly on the p*ss.

I can only think that, during my civvy-shoed rides I'd managed to unthread the finger tightened pedals slightly and then, under load, managed to jump a thread before tightening them back up while SPD-pedalling.

The female thread appears more or less reamed.
    …."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Repairing Cross-Threaded Crank Arms….. relatively widely available/feasible??’ is closed to new replies.