• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Renting out a converted garage / annex
  • DT78
    Free Member

What do I need to know? Thinking Monday- Friday professional type.

Assuming my insurance may go up.

Any good sited for research? In particular I don’t want it as a tenancy but more like a lodger type agreement. So basically I can move the person on with short notice if they are noisy etc…

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Additional (another) council tax charge for another dwelling with its own front door.

towzer

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

my insurance didn’t go up but not covered for theft by lodger

mitsumonkey
    Free Member
    wrecker
    Free Member

building regs and planning for change of use in place?

DT78
    Free Member

It is already covenverted and not classed as a separate dwelling as it has an internal door. It would potentially on be rented a few months at a time and used by family / my turbo cave for the rest

ebygomm
    Free Member

I rent somewhere similar Mon-Fri which I found through spareroom (and have used that for two previous places as well). Either side can give 2 weeks notice to end the agreement.

Think about what you will offer, e.g. all the Mon – Fri places I’ve rented include changing and laundering sheets etc.

Will you allow storage of belongings over the weekends?

DT78
    Free Member

It has separate kitchen area with washing machine and cooker and separate bathroom. We aren’t convinced about renting it out but it would help with the mortgage (this is a property we have an offer in rather than actually live in yet)

We thought about getting a cleaner in. Neither of us will want to clean up after someone else. Hard enough work cleaning up after my son…

Not clear on when the conversion was done or building regs. It wasn’t recent. It had some sort of lift type thing in there to the upper bedroom which the current owner doesn’t know what it was, so originally must be 20+ years ago even though the kitchen/bathroom have been recently refurbed

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve rented similar through air bnb – on the consumer side rater than being the owner

andyl
    Free Member

You will need to declare it to your mortgage lender too.

You might have trouble getting planning permission but it might be possible to get it through as a holiday let or try and get by with it being a joined on part of your house but technically a self contained unit with it’s own entrance etc probably should be done as a separate dwelling.

poolman
    Free Member

If it were me I would stick to the rent a room regs and claim my 7.5k pa tax free allowance.

DT78
    Free Member

The ultimate plan is to convert it all into one big smart kitchen when we have the money.

Until I started researching today I didn’t realise having an annex could be a problem. Any different if I tell the mortgage company it’ll be used as a home gym / store (which it likely will be renting out is something we might do but don’t really want to)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Renting out a converted garage / annex’ is closed to new replies.