Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • RENAULT GRAND ESPACE – thoughts?
  • grtdkad
    Free Member

Have spotted a reasonably priced, three-year old Grand Espace 3.0dCi and wondering of stw members have any experience? I've had a few estates and will be getting rid of my beloved 3.0 V6 X-Type estate in order to get the renault but worried about the change to a VAN??
    Three growing kids, bikes, tent etc make it a sensible choice but at the end of the day it is a VAN…help?

fadda

I can't be the most helpful answer, but I borrowed one and expected to hate it about 3 months ago.
    Turned out it was quite nice to drive, and it was bliss just wheeling three bikes in after a ride, with room for the three of us to sit in comfort on the way home!

grtdkad
    Free Member

Thanks. Yes, the thought of just chucking the bikes in the back is definitely appealing…

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Top car. Rear seats are VERY versatile (they face backwards/forwards, easy to take in/out). Safe, plenty of room, built well enough…

rob1984p
    Free Member

I had one from the su for a roadtrip about 3 years ago and it was very good. Its roadholding, fuel economy and comfort was excellent. On a negative side a friends parents have one and it has suffered from key problems amongst other things that I can't recall.

grtdkad
    Free Member

All positive then, anything to watch out for (faults or reliability issues)? I'm not too worried about the renault key card, Mrs D's megane has same with no problems.

wee-al
    Free Member

Do it, they're quality and much more stylish than the competition. I'm thinking of one for road trips and i'm single and still in my twenty's (just).

epicyclo

The ultimate bike transport.

grantway
    Free Member

There good universal MPV Only thing to watch out for is when they are older
    the parts are very expensive
    Had a Ford Galaxy was very good but cant beat my Vauxaull Vivario van.

epicyclo

The previous model Espace was fibreglass and galvanised chassis. Should last forever.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The only thing i would add is that the 2.2 dci is a cheaper engine to both run and tax with out any real lose in performance (though it is nice to have a v6 ;))

Trekster

have a look at some of the car sites. Espace got some really bad reliability issues as above re electrics. Mate is an AA man and is always on about Renault electronics inc handbrake. Another mate, garage owner, hates them and Lagunas with avengence. There was a problem with the anti-lock brake system due to the mechanism being sited under the front bumper, another mate who has one has had numerous issues with that and doors/windows not working.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Trekster I use that forum and whilst i agree that they are not the most reliable of cars they problems are fairly easy to fix in general as they are known about. it is when you get a car that doesn't have a lot of problems and it brakes that it gets really expensive (that and if you let a garge do all the work). I have had to change the window regulator on my laguna and it only cost me £45 where as i know of people who have spent a good few hunded to do the same by paying someone else to do it.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

we have had on in the family for 18 months now and i have to say great bike transport, take out the rear line of seats and its a huge space

plus points
    cheap to run
    huge load area
    easy on the eye inside and out
    great safety record
    will go hours without getting tired
    foating dashboard and instruments are great

bad points
    drives like a boat on an ice rink
    brakes feel like they are made of wood and cake sponge
    seats are not supportive, really flat
    fibreglass body work and large glass panels are v.expensive to fix
    parking sensors are essiential

prettygreenparrot

nice, big practical car. Unfortunately, it's a Renault & therefore likely to be a bit on the shonky side. Last time I had a Renault, parts cost a fortune and the sophisticated electronics & stuff were as flaky as Windows 3.1. It was very comfy though and very fairly priced.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Silly cheap, might consider a diesel (Froggy oil burners I like).

Trekster

Did nearly buy one for that reason hc…was very cheap at 1/2price and just 2/3yrs old??

epicyclo

I don't care if the fancy bits don't work so long as it goes. As far as I'm concerned it's my mobile bike shed 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

What MPH does it do? Diesel, ideally, please.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Do you mean MPG?

😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

No, it's bound to be cheap to run as otherwise people would be complaining. I'm interested in mph as driving to my favourite riding spots involves crossing Germany following E40. 800 miles isn't fun if you're the only driver and your vehicle goes at 80-90 mph only. Unless it's stupidly comfortable for passengers, which my Pug isn't. So, how fast can you go for hours non-stop? Will it top a ton?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Well the one above has an offical top speed of 130mph the 2.2 is 117, the 2.0t is 127 the 3.5 v6 is 140 and the slowest is a 2.2 dci auto with 140bhp and that does 115.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds really good. Time to start saving (or find a job to finance it) 🙂

HendyTreker
    Free Member

If you must, steer clear of the 2.2 DCI, the engines are shockingly unreliable, EG injectors packing up, Maf sensors going down , EGR valves packing up to name 3 of the most common problems. Then you have the common espace problems of eating brakes and tyres for fun, rear seats jamming up, steering arms wearing for fun and ABS/ESP modules packing up on the latest ones – Good luck!

HendyTreker
    Free Member

Go for a Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan 2001 on.

Hairychested
    Free Member

99% of those are minicabs round here. And I really like French diesel engines (I've just driven some 4k miles in the last month holidaying with my family without a single worry in a 10y.o. 406 with old oil and ancient filters) and their comfort in town (new Mondeo might be a better car but it shook my gut too much the other day).

grtdkad
    Free Member

GUTTED…had a day off work so rang for a test drive and they'd just sold it…so back on the look out.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘RENAULT GRAND ESPACE – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.