Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Removing tree stumps?
  • sslowpace
    Free Member

We have 4 tree stumps approx 6 inches in height we want to remove. The trees were cut down 3 years ago.

Other than digging them out/grinding them down, is there a fairly easy way to remove them. Ideally we'd like to get it done within the next week or so.

Cheers
    Pete

sslowpace
    Free Member

Doh!! Wrong forum, although when they're gone I'll have a nice patio to fettle..

jam-bo

nope. you'll either have to dig them out or grind them down.

personally i'd pay someone else to do it.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Tree stumps are a proper man-job aren't they? With shovels and rope and big saws and an axe and heaving and grunting and sweat and barked knuckles. I've got one to deal with that my macho-organ is really looking forward to. 😀

thepurist

JCB? Or you can use a winch (from a hire shop) if there's something firm to attach the other end to. How hard it will be depends on how big the trees were & what species – are we talking 100 year old Oaks or something like Leylandii?

brant
    Free Member

Spent a day once getting a large tree stump out.
    Was a lovely day with a couple of neighbours, big tools, my land rover and a rope.
    One of the blokes died of a heart attack 2 days later 🙁

sslowpace
    Free Member

Unfortunately we have an enclosed back garden with no access.
    Size wise, they are only about 8 inches in diameter and were delightful leylandi.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Cheers Brant. I'll offer a stump removal BBQ (beer after of course, responsible destruction and all that), but please sign this waiver first..

thepurist

Leylandii have a fairly shallow & fibrous root system compared to some of the broad leaved trees so you don't get those thick deep roots. Once you get them moving they tend not to put up *that* much of a fight.

gusamc
    Free Member

if you don't know how useful a digging bar can be now would be a good time to find out ……

stumpyjon

Winch is the easiest option

http://www.hss.com/g/69706/Tirfor-Winch-800-1200kg.html

and if you've nothing to secure it to, a ground anchor as well.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Shovel & axe are all thats required. 😆

Dig round stump to find roots, hack to pieces with axe, pull out detached bit, bury the rest

tinsy
    Free Member

It all went wrong 3 years ago, if you had left 6ft instead of 6" it would have really helped. You might be lucky and the old roots might not be too painful, but no easy way in my experience.

You can hire a machine for grinding them down I believe.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

as this is in the riding forum i was gonna suggest leaving them there and building a ramp up one side of them to make them fun trail obstacles.

As it is, either

a) take a small cup of petrol and pour onto top of stump. leave overnight to soak in. repeat for a couple of weeks until the petrol has soaked in well and truly (if only just cut down it will work its was right down to the roots). Set it alight and it will burn the top off whilst the roots will smoulder for a few days and that will be that

b) take all the coniferous bits you have just cut off the trunk and lay them around the stump and have a bonfire. this will burn the stump to the ground. Conifers burn really well even when 'green'

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

oh and yes, my neighbour in his late 70's who spent all day one weekend removing a trunk turning down my offer of assistance had a heart attack and died the next day too.

R.I.P. Jack 🙁

Shandy
    Free Member

My old man had 30 6 foot lleylandii up either side of his driveway. We ripped them out with a forklift in an hour and a half and had a nice big bonfire!

Otherwise, shovel and axe has always got me there in the end. Most lleylandii roots tend to branch out sideways not straight down so you should be able to dig down to all the main roots.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blow 'em up. Its the manly way

TheSlider
    Free Member

Drill some holes in the stump and pour in white spirit. That's the advice I got from a gardener – but I don't know how long it takes to kill it…someone will tell you in a second – probably.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Oh yeah – this being the bike forum – yeah good bike the Specialized Stumpy ! That's what you meant, right ?

sslowpace
    Free Member

Cheers all, out with the spade and axe.

Now, what axe for….. 😀

Sam

Dynamite surely?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Drill some holes in the stump and pour in white spirit. That's the advice I got from a gardener – but I don't know how long it takes to kill it…someone will tell you in a second – probably.

That will kill the stumps comparatively quickly. What it won't do is rot the stumps, so they will stay there until nature takes it's course and the wood just decays. 7/10 years depending on the hardness of the wood. Stump grinder is still the easiest way.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Hi-lift jacks are a handy thing to have for this kind of thing. Just be careful, they're more dangerous than nitroglycerin.

huw
    Free Member

Wait until late autumn / winter* and then spray glyphosate (usually sold as "Round-Up" but comes in other names too) onto the stumps. There are other specific chemicals that'll do the job. Drilling holes into the stump will create a bigger surface area for the chemical to get into the tree so that might be an idea.

It'll take much longer than physical removal but a lot easier. The chemical doesn't actually rot the wood, but it does kill it and encourage pathogen infection which will eat away at the stump and roots. It may take a few months and several applications, depending on the size of the main stump and size of the root system, so be patient.

It's best applied to freshly cut wood, so if they've been stumps for a while, take a slice off the top of the stump to expose fresh wood.

* The sap in a tree travels into the roots during the winter months and up from from the roots in the summer months, so by spraying in the winter months, the glyphosate moves down into the roots with the sap.

TooTall
    Free Member

Grind them out. Either a local tree surgeon or they will know someone who will grind them out.

thepurist

If all else fails there's always the STW standard answer

theflatboy
    Free Member

i've got a similar one outside my flat where i stopped an oak tree in its early tracks by going at it with a saw.

i can't get the bastard out of the ground, though. suppose i tie one end of a rope round the roots and the underneath of the trunk and the other to the tow loop on the back of the car and pull away, what is the most likely outcome? snapped rope, damage to surrounding area or complete success? 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

jackthedog
    Free Member

If all else fails there's always the STW standard answer

Thomson?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Removing tree stumps?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM