Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing stubborn tyre off rim. Any tips?
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

OK, got an almost new foldable Bonty Chupacabra on a Stans Hugo52 wheel. I’m changing it for a more winterproof Surly Dirt Wizard.

The Bonty went on the rim a doddle. Nice & easy, 4 scoops of Stans.

Now Ive removed one side & half the other, but the last half of the bead is stuck fast in the rim. Id take a pic to explain more clearly what I mean, but its late & I’m fed up & need a hug 🙁

chrishc777
    Free Member

Radiator

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Put the wheel horizontal on the floor and push down vertically on the tyre (on opposing sides of the wheel), moving the wheel round as you go, and the bead will loosen then break. It may take a while but using your weight against it will break the seal.

Before I knew this trick, I pulled the muscles in my chest trying to remove bud from from a carbon fat rim!

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said wheel vertical but i then CAREFULLY stand on tyre to break the bead

bonzodog
    Free Member

Ill give it a go in the morning chaps. Thanks.

Feel a little embarrassed asking for tips on removing a tyre, but bugger me this one had me beat. The palms of my hands are stinging from trying to roll the tyre over the lip of the rim & I just had to dive in the shower as I was soaked in sweat.

julians
    Free Member

A slight variation on the tips above,place the wheel on the floor, stand on the tyre as close to the rim as you can get, then lift the rim to break the bead.

I struggled for hours trying to get a tyre off a superstar carbon rim,until I worked the above out

bonzodog
    Free Member

Hope to get another few minutes later to try again.

Yep. Never have I struggled with a tyre like this before. Had fun & games putting a wire bead Schwalbe on my lads wheel a few months back, but this is on another level. I reckon I’ll just leave these on & when it’s time to change, just buy another wheel 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

eel a little embarrassed asking for tips on removing a tyre, but bugger me this one had me beat

Many of us have been there and at least it happened in your house and not on the trail

globalti
    Free Member

With standard tyres fitting and removal are doddle if you use TALC as a dry lubricant.

mattyfez

With standard tyres fitting and removal are doddle if you use TALC as a dry lubricant.

Hah. I beg to differ, mine are a two man job without the aid of a couple of straps.

OP I suppose if the tyres worn way past best you could simply hack through the tyre with some tin snips or something, then just rip it out and put a new one on?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing stubborn tyre off rim. Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.