Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Remedy vs Fuel?
  • 4130soul
    Free Member

right then, im tearing what little hair i have left out, im considering buying a new bike.
    i’d done my homework, found the bike i liked the look of, the bike that would hopefully fit my riding style, even went to try one on for size.

i was convinced that the remedy 8 would be the bike for me, basically im looking for a bike for all uses (steering well clear of cliches such as ‘all mountain’ or do-it-all)…(oops) something i could ride the hell out of, a bike to do uplifts one day and ride up the next

the Remedy yes?

but then today i saw the Fuel Ex8, again i tried it on for size, i picked it up to test the weight, then i saw the price tag! cheaper by nearly a grand!

so, my query is this, would the extra inch of travel at both ends, and the extra build justify the extra 800 notes?
    or more importantly would the Fuel be too ‘fragile’ a bike for me to treat mean one day and for it to return the favour the next?

theres not much in it by looking at them but i’m hoping the great people of STW could help me out with some )god help me)….opinions

thanks in advance

james
    Free Member

Specialized Pitch or Commencal Prophet sit in between them travel wise, but both are cheaper ..

4130soul
    Free Member

ive always been fond of the prophets but having seen all in the flesh…the treks have it hands down (never thought i’d be saying that in my lifetime) thanks though.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

4130soul, are you planning Alps trips in the future? or even uplift days? If so I would say get the Trek Remedy. I have mates that have the Trek Fuel EX8s and EX9s and one trip to the Alps for a week is now showing…

The Trek Remedy 9 is about the weight of Trek EX8, maybe lighter? Guess the Trek Remedy 9 is over budget…

4130soul
    Free Member

unless i go on the game then yes.

uplift days are definately on the cards, what about the remedy 8 is there that much of a weight penalty?

cheers

mikey74
    Free Member

TBH I haven’t ridden either, but I love the look of the Remedy and would probably say that it is the more versatile of the two: It is supposed to climb very well and descend amazingly well too.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If you buy the Fuel, one day you’ll be out on the trail and see a Remedy, and you’ll wonder if you should have just spent the extra dough.

If you buy the Remedy, one day you’ll be out on the trail and see a Fuel and you’ll remain perfectly happy with your choice.

Buy the bike you want or you’ll regret it.

jackthedog
    Free Member

And for what it’s worth, my mate has a Remedy and it’s bloody great.

4130soul
    Free Member

Jackthedog, your a star! simple zen like advice

marionheck
    Free Member

remedy. i have a fuel and it is great for xc, but when it gets a bit more tough the nomad comes out. My mate has a remedy and it is great up and down and a great 1 bike does all type of bike.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I have the 08 Remedy 8 and have to say it is a great bike. It is a litle heavier than the fuel (which one of my mates has), but it still climbs well and you will love it for the downs. – Jacobs ladder a few weeks ago was superb – barely touched the ground on the decent! :P, and the climb up mam tor and the rest of the route were no probs as the rp23 is fine with the pro pedal.

Trust me it is way better than the prophet (I traded a prophet in for the remedy)

Get abit of local trail fitness in and the climbs will be no problems!

Popocatapetl

I own a 09 trek Fuel EX8 which i have had since Aug 08. it is a fantastic XC ride with a truly bottomless suspension and climbs like a rat up a drain pipe. I ride it mostly in the Peak district and i wish i had seen the Remedy 8 before i had bought it. The Ex 8 is a brilliant bike but the Remedy 8 would be more tolerant of the hammering my Ex8 receives on rocky descents. Having said that i have spent nearly £1000.oo upgrading it so i should have bought the Remedy 9. “More XTR Sir??” “OOHH Yes please!!” “and would sir like an Adjustable Kindshock seat post and Fizik saddle with that?” “Why not, i’ll stick it on the flexible friend!” – Buy the Remedy 9, you’ll save yourself a fortune!

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

If you buy a fuel you will end up buying a shorter stem and an extra set of heavier duty wheels and rubber for the alps. I know I did.

The fuel is great but if your buzz is getting to the bottom faster than your mates and they are on 6″ bikes get the Remedy.

That is not to say the fuel can’t do it. I raced last years mega on mine and it was fine. However I can’t help but wonder how much quicker I would have been on a Remedy or similar 6″ bike though…

PePPeR

is the Remedy the replacement for the old Liquids?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have an EX8 and love it, most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.
    Buy it from pedalon and get £350 worth of free stuff!

datsunman

Had the Fuel and for me it was a little too ‘XC’ to do anything reasonably big on. If you’re just riding Uk trail centres it would be fine but with any uplifts etc I think you’d struggle.

Remedy for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Remedy vs Fuel?’ is closed to new replies.