Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Relatively New Parents Needs Some Reassurance – Toddlers Twa**ing Themselves
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

GeeTee Junior is only 13 months old, but he’s been walking since he was 9 months and in that time, he must have twa**ed his head more times than I can remember.

This morning, playing on his new wooden trike, he has his first ‘over the bars’ moment and chips one of his teeth. And then to top it all off, this afternoon he trips on a concrete step and cracks his forehead again, only this time he’s got a chicken’s egg for a forehead!

He seems fine, not vomiting, no listless or anything. But our nerves are so jangled and frayed!

I am sure this is the same for all kids, especially the ones who decide to up and walk very young. But just need some reassurance that this really is the case!

bruneep

Its all about learning…..he’ll soon learn not to t w at his head.

Kids are quite tough really.

Bez

Same here. No broken teeth yet and no full-on eggs but lots of bumps and scrapes. He’s just started walking and we have parquet/tiled floors downstairs. Yay.

druidh
    Free Member

Fairly normal I’m afraid.

Just don’t keep taking him to A&E or you’ll have a case worker on your doorstep….

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yup, our little one regularly has a forehead dappled with bruises. The older one has a dead front tooth from a knock when she was smaller. At least one head-bash a day in this household I’d say. Worth a visit to casualty if you’re worried though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had a few bumps and scraps with yinn jnr. He’s pretty good and doesnt cry much, a quick reassuring cuddle and he’s ok.
    I kicked a football in his face and made his nose bleed a couple of weeks ago and he didn’t even cry (even if i did. OOOoooopps!!!)

Bunnyhop

You either hide them away wrapped in bubblewrap or let them have the rough and tumble that we all had as children.

I know this isn’t an option (bubblewrap) for you so carry on.

Don’t worry he will end up as handsome as you geetee 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

Yep normal, next comes the paranoia that A&E will start recognising you and get on to social services.

StuF

Don’t worry – all of ours have had huge eggs on their heads and so far suffered no ill affects

molgrips
    Free Member

Toddlers fall over a lot? Really? Holy crap!

🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

Don’t worry he will end up as handsome as you geetee

You see that’s not terribly reassuring!

Toddlers fall over a lot? Really? Holy crap!

You haven’t got kids have you Molgrips 😉

ziggy
    Free Member

My lad when younger used to continually smash his head into things, he’s 7 now and nothing has changed 🙂

His legs always look like someone has machine gunned bruises down them, we counted 28 the other day just on his legs!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It happens. Peaked with a borken femur in our 3 year old – pleased to say he was in nursery when the injury happened, otherwise that might have been a social services moment lol!

Drac

All part of it, our first hardly had an accidents. The second at nearly 4 is a regular earlier in the weeks the burst he nose jumping on the bed.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Have to admit that the OPs incidents do sound quite bad!

Ours has had a few knocks but nothing that serious. He got stung in the eye a couple of months ago – that was an A&E job but apart from that, the odd bloody mouth, little scrape, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

You haven’t got kids have you Molgrips

I have a toddler. She falls over.. but not as often as some 🙂

sssimon
    Free Member

14 month old here doing the same, came in last night to find him on the kitchen table standing up, likes to dive off the sofa if we take our eyes off him for 30 seconds too.

he’s tends to get a bump or two most days but he laughs most of them off. Part of the learning curve I reckon

geetee1972
    Free Member

His mum’s email address is actually ‘falling down girl’ and has been since well before I met her. Guess that should tell me something.

Mind you, one of junior’s cousins is even more accident prone. Only a few months after she managed to sever the tip of her index finger off (fortunately they were able to sew it back on) she managed to fall ASTRIDE an up turned chair and impale herself on one of the legs. And by impale, I do mean vaginally. That was a rather tense moment at the hospital as they had to examine her for splinters.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Sounds like he is going to be a DH rider.One of my kids is 10 now and she was so clumsy,How the hell she made it to 10 i dont know,Now she loves her pony and has been chucked off a couple of times,she just gets back on.Dont worry about it,kids are nearly indestructible.

miketually
    Free Member

My sister was forever battering herself as a toddler. Parents had a couple of trips to A&E with her with suspected broken noses and fractured skulls.

The other four of use were fine.

nbt

Bunnyhop – Member

Don’t worry he will end up as handsome as you geetee

Oh the poor lad!

joemarshall
    Free Member

I was like that as a kid. At one point social services came round, asked what had been happening to me, after two a+e trips in short succession, apparently my mum just took them out to the garden and one look at me running around convinced them it was just normal toddler kamikaze instinct.

aracer
    Free Member

This morning, playing on his new wooden trike, he has his first ‘over the bars’ moment and chips one of his teeth.

Not wearing a full face helmet? What were you thinking?

TiRed

First one fell over a lot, second hardly at all. After the third visit to AandE in six months, you can expect a call to check “everything is alright”. After a fourth, expect a visit. My friend’s son broke two arms and a leg in a year…That was several visits.

Anyone who has ever had to hold down a toddler to have their head superglued back together will no how strong they can be. Often they will stich without anesthetic because it is less traumatic. He’s sat behind me doing his homework now. After an off on the way to school and road rash to prove it, nothing changes!

ollie
    Free Member

I’ve been in A&E this afternoon after getting the call from playschool that the little fella had cut his head open and needs to be taken to hospital, Running around like a **** nutter and tripped and t****d his head on a table.
    All glued up and still running round like a loon at home earlier.

Kids are ace, not a care in the world. He’s 2 by the way.

Trekster

tinribz – Member
    Yep normal, next comes the paranoia that A&E will start recognising you and get on to social services.

Been there with kids
    Now starting again with grandkids 🙄

djglover
    Free Member

One of my twins nutted the sharp corner of the bed the other day having a paddy. It looked like it hurt. A lot. She runs off the side of the bed and all sorts. Her sister is much more careful. Some kids are just predisposed to it it seems to me

Markie
    Free Member

14 months and I think ours now has her first scar. On her her chin.

One NCT mom came to a get together two weeks ago and her boy had two black eyes from smacking his face on the edge of a door ! 🙁

Just how it goes, and nice to know not just for us!

Hohum
    Free Member

ollie – Member
    I’ve been in A&E this afternoon after getting the call from playschool that the little fella had cut his head open and needs to be taken to hospital, Running around like a **** nutter and tripped and t****d his head on a table.
    All glued up and still running round like a loon at home earlier.

Kids are ace, not a care in the world. He’s 2 by the way.

The good old glue, eh?

It still scars, but at least it isn’t as painful for the wee people overall.

My son is 7 now and still likes to whack his head off things. He now has three good scars on his head to prove this! The last one being caused this summer when we were away on holiday.

Thankfully genetics has meant that those people with thin skulls never lived long enough to pass their genes on a long, long time ago.

ski
    Free Member

Wait until he is old enough to clear a flight of stairs by only touching two steps!

One step at the top and one step at the bottom!

😉

el_boufador

Yep, just part of growing up – don’t worry! Our eldest (4) has always been pretty careful and only one major incident so far Head-> Fireplace-> Blood. The youngest (1.5) is always smacking himself into stuff.

Actually I would say that having these (relatively) minor accidents when young is probably very constructive – it teaches them to be aware of their surroundings and the price of taking risks. If one of my kids is, for example, walking along a low wall (with no danger than a bit of a shock and a bump) then I will probably let them do it, and if (when) they fall off so be it.
    That way hopefully if the opportunity to walk along a higher wall happens some time in the future, the experience of the earlier falling-off will make them think twice.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks Peeps, your responses are certainly very reassuring; did just the trick! 😆

jca

TJ to the forum please….

toddler helmets

penguinni

My wee one took a tumble when she was about one and banged her head against a table. Cue massive cartoon bump on her forehead and a trip to A&E. And one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life. After checking Kates head the doctor took her nappy of and checked her private bits – in full view of me – and whilst I understood the rationale behind it I really felt angry.

Hohum
    Free Member

penguinni – Member
    My wee one took a tumble when she was about one and banged her head against a table. Cue massive cartoon bump on her forehead and a trip to A&E. And one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life. After checking Kates head the doctor took her nappy of and checked her private bits – in full view of me – and whilst I understood the rationale behind it I really felt angry.

Grrrr!

I can understand where you are coming from.

I have taken my two eldest up to A&E a few times now and I have not had that experience.

However, don’t think it is something new. About 30 years ago one Christmas Eve my Dad had to take my half-brother up to A&E because he had cut his head badly. My Dad said that he was quizzed quite sternly about what had happened.

At the end of the day nearly all of us love our children dearly and would hurt ourselves before we would hurt them, but there are still some people who think differently who would do other things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait until he is old enough to clear a flight of stairs by only touching two steps!

We used to do that as kids – jump from about the third step down to the floor – and there was a full length pane of single glass immediately at the bottom of the stairs. Quite horrifying now I think back!

But I do clearly remember getting those massive cartoon bumps on my head.

hora
    Free Member

Jeeesus I can see your concern. I’ve got this to come 😕

I really do hope mine wasn’t like me growing up. I had a record going at A&E.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jca – Member

TJ to the forum please….

toddler helmets

Is that for real?

*bangs head on wall*

One of my nephews was an accident prone little ‘un.

It got to the point where his nursery would count the bruises when he arrived and when he left just to keep a record so the nursery were not blamed for them all.

You would hear him call your name, turn round to find he had launched himself off the furniture at you. You either caught him or he hit the ground hard!

ollie
    Free Member

Well after yesterdays episode the little fella is still completely barmy this morning as if nothing happened, Whereas his dad has a sore back after sleeping on the floor next to his bed all night, just to make sure he was ok.
    I’ve got to say it was a special moment when I woke up and he was stroking my head with a huge grin saying ” Dada wuo you”.
    Parenting has it’s moments of despair but the love of a child is something very special.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our little 18mo lass woke up at 2.30am or so in a tizzy (she normally sleeps through). After comforting then some food and milk as a last resort she settled down between us in bed. Whilst we were all nodding off she kept reaching out and stroking and patting my arm.. aww 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Relatively New Parents Needs Some Reassurance – Toddlers Twa**ing Themselves’ is closed to new replies.