Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Relationships that never happened
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Following on from the ‘how did it feel when you met your partner for the first time’ thread, tell us all your stories of relationships that didn’t even get to First Base, never mind any further.

Here goes

1 – A girl went to the same gym as me, we always talked and talked, we always went to the same bars and I always expected to see her in one of those bars and I was going to ask her out then (Dutch Courage and all that). However for some reason I never, ever did so one day I decided I’d ask her out at the gym instead. Saturday morning came around (when we always were there at the same time). But she didn’t turn up. Nor the next week. Or the next…

2 – Almost every morning I would pull up at a traffic light and coming from the other direction was the most amazing specimen of feminine beauty you could ever imagine. After several days of this happening we both started to realise it was quite amusing and started to exchange smiles, waves etc. Then one day I saw her again (at this point I had no idea of how this was going to progress, bar holding up rush hour traffic and running to her car) but she blanked me. Completely ignored me!

Kryton57

This thread will be dominated by anti-climax, I’m out…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

But Kryton … I’ve been following you to the gym and the pub all the time…. and I’m sure you were waving as I stalked you on my bike.

How dare you ignore/disappear of the face of the earth to get away for me…

😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Once met the lovely Jenny Powell in Volcano in Partick. ( the nightclub in Trainspotting…for the trainspotters)

Asked her to dance….she said no.

spawnofyorkshire

Got a couple, but the main one is a lass I was at uni with in Germany. Got on like a house on fire, loads in common and obviously something there between us, but neither made a move (I think to protect the friendship).
    End of the year we moved back to our respective countries and I’ve never seen her again. We both tried to arrange visits to see each other but they never came off

Though I may have dodged a bullet as she is now a hipster

Kryton57

I’ve been following you to the gym and the pub all the time…. and I’m sure you were waving as I stalked you on my bike.

Luckily, its a case of mistaken identity, as I frequent neither…

lunge

Elaine. Worked at the student uni with me, she had the finest derrière I have ever seen. She was cool, I was a geeky guy with little confidence and no personal skills. Everyone fancied her, me included.

Shared a cab back from work one night as she lived close to me, I have to get out first, as I did she asked if I wanted to come back to her for a drink, I said no as I had lectures he next morning (lectures I almost certainly didn’t attend). As soon as I shut the cab door I realised 2 things, 1, I had just turned down sex, sex with Elaine. 2, there was no chance she would ever give me that chance again.

I am an idiot.

Harry_the_Spider

Yes, you are an idiot.

duffle
    Free Member

I am an idiot.

Yes…….yes you are*

*This may be voice of experience (not Elaine though!) 🙁

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

lunge – you idiot

perchypanther
    Free Member

Shared a cab back from work one night as she lived close to me, I have to get out first, as I did she asked if I wanted to come back to her for a drink, I said no as I had lectures he next morning (lectures I almost certainly didn’t attend). As soon as I shut the cab door I realised 2 things, 1, I had just turned down a drink, a drink with Elaine. 2, there was no chance she would ever give me that chance again.

FTFY – and yes, you are an idiot and a presumptious one at that 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

“the girl in the lilac shirt”. We met speed dating, spend our time talking about how people have a number in their head and only date plus or minus one.

We tried to arrange a meeting but at the time, I was in Portsmouth each week with work and she was in London each weekend. It just never happened.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I got married then a month or so after I met the woman of my dreams.

blader1611
    Free Member

I bought a bike thinking i would be at one with said bike and be the new danny macaskill, it turns out the bike had other ideas and i am the new Ian macaskill! I dumped her for a road bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I spotted an absolute dreamboat buying a steak bake in Greggs. I was so overcome by his manly manliness that I fainted.

Oh….what could have been!

Kryton57

I have in fact got this going on right now. I spotted this young lady 14 years ago, asked her out for lunch, befriended her and got to the point whereby I would visit her flat and we would sit and chat for ages. I eventually plucked up the courage to ask her formerly, but was denied.

She’s remained a friend ever since and now and then we meet and have dinner/catch up. This in in full view of and permission of my wife, they’ve both met and had dinner together, and (she’s single) our kids have played together.

My next meet with her is tomorrow. She’s black, and has been let down a lot by black men, and out last chat was about her experimenting with white guys as she believed thier attitude toward women was better (a generalisation I know). Anyway she’s been sending me cheeky little message’s in the build up to tomorrow, and I found myself alone in a hotel this week thinking “..would I?”*

* Of course not, I’m married**

** She does have E sized breasts.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was so overcome by his manly manliness that I fainted.

Binly Binliness, Shirley?

zanelad
    Free Member

Lesley C. She was a friends girlfriend. We’d gone to a party at the sailing club together that the boyfriend could not attend. I was going anyway and Lesley was a little reluctant to go on her own. I asked her to come with me, they’d be other mutual friends there so it couldn’t be considered a date.

I’d worshiped her for some time (and still do, if the truth be told). She was perfect, stunningly pretty, a figure to die for and just a genuinely very nice person.

She had picked me up and took me home. When she dropped me off she turned off the engine and we sat chatting for a while. I was thinking about inviting her in for a coffee, nothing more, she wasn’t that sort of girl. I didn’t as I lost my bottle and watched her drive away and out of my life. She and my friend split up soon after.

It truly is one of my few real regrets that I never plucked up the courage at the time. It’s true what they say, that we regret what we didn’t do.

the-muffin-man

Katie…

We were both 14, friends, and lived in the same village – it took me months to pluck up the courage to ask her out. She knocked me back in a rather sharp way. It took me another 2 years to find the confidence to ask another girl out.

…the bitch! 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

Binly Binliness, Shirley?

beaten to it!! 😆

binners

lunge – Member

I said no as I had lectures he next morning

Just stay there Lunge. I’ll be round shortly with these. its for your own good…

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I spotted an absolute dreamboat buying a steak bake in Greggs. I was so overcome by his manly manliness that I fainted.

Oh….what could have been!

Buying single steak bakes? Definitely wasn’t me! 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

Similar to Lunge. I was 15 and on school trip to France. Another school was at the same hotel and we mixed together for the activities. Our group had gone swimming in the sea. A mate and myself got friendly with a group of very good looking girls with equally attractive figures nicely displayed in their bikinis from the other school. My mate decided he needed to head back to the hotel, I had to remain in the sea waiting for the trouser tent to go away. By the time it had there was only a two of the girls left and myself. We walked back to the hotel all arm in arms. At the hotel the girls were on the floor lower to myself. When we got to their room that they shared I was asked if I wanted to come in and use their shower to which I replied no, it’s alright I’ve got a shower in my room. They looked at each other confused and asked asked me again and I said it was OK, I’ll use my own and walked off.
    As I got to my room I realised why they had asked and I could have screamed. Not only had I been a virgin at the time but could have lost it in a threesome with two stunners. It was probably the first and last they had ever been turned down ever.

core

Girl I went out with in school (wasn’t a real relationship) when I was about 14, I messed it up. Small community, was good friends with her cousin (we were all in the same class), he was killed last year in an accident, seen her quite a bit more than usual since as our old gang try to meet up more regularly, and there’s always the mutual friends weddings etc.

Neither of us are very forthcoming with feelings or outwardly emotional people, but now share something over the loss of her cousin/my friend that is kind of just between us and unspoken since the funeral and friends gatherings soon after. That on top of the occasional tipsy/drunken comments she makes on the times I see her along the lines of ‘what could have been’ etc mean there’s a kind of ‘one that got away’ vibe going on.

BUT, I’ve been with my girlfriend for 10 years, happily so, and my mate fancies the arse off the other girl, think they might get together if he ever comes back from working abroad. Also, we’re totally incompatible in many ways.

Guess I’ll never know.

Cougar

First base? I don’t think I’ve ever played baseball with a girl.

perchypanther
    Free Member

First base? I don’t think I’ve ever played baseball with a girl.

All your base are belong to girls. 😀

Cougar

I set you up the bomb for that one, didn’t I.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was obliged to.. for great justice.

DezB
    Free Member

I once had 2 young ladies come back to mine (well. my parents, but they were away) … I was too innocent and slightly too drunk, to realise their intentions, and as my girlfriend was asleep (like, FAST asleep) upstairs I sent them away.. regrets..? 🙁

Then there was the time, the oh so lovely and buxom HR manager gave me a lift home after a night out. Back to my house… when I was on a separation from my wife… the wife’s car was outside. Dammit!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

A Norwegian snowboarding beauty … she wanted to, I didn’t (she was too perfect and I didn’t wanna tie myself down … :roll:) … I wanted to, she didn’t… I wanted to, she didn’t…. I wanted to, she sort of did…. she did, I didn’t.

We discussed it that last time on New Years Eve in a ski resort in Norway (about 3 o’clock in the morning coming back from a bar and about -18 it was)… but she’d missed her chance …. a gorgeous girl had shared her chips with me a few weeks previous.

gonzy
    Free Member

Not only had I been a virgin at the time but could have lost it in a threesome with two stunners. It was probably the first and last they had ever been turned down ever.

Binners…you’re needed here with your bombers too…

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh another. Caroline. A cool and beautiful girl with long dark curly hair (like my wife – I always did and still do have a thing for it). One night after Youth Club we went for a walk together. Rather than be home at the usual 9.15pm, I was still out at gone midnight (my parents had called the police out – oops). We were still just walking around and chatting. I was utterly terrified to do anything or ask her out (I thought she was several leagues higher than me and thought she fancied my brother) when my dad found me and scooped us up into his car, took her home and then gave me an almighty bollocking followed by a one month grounding.

I never did ask her out but then recently we became friends on Facebook and we reminisced about that night. It turned out that she fancied me and was waiting for me to ask her out! DOH!

Still, she turned out to be a bit of a slapper and worked her way through several marriages and became a grandmother at about 42 and is as ugly as sin now 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nicola.

End of thread 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh dear; this’ll never end well. was gonna post a thread about it last week, but didn’t get round to it in the end….

I had a friend who became a “bit more than a friend” – we spent a bit of time together over summer. Then she moved away (home) to start a new job…I even went to visit her. It was all fine, even though I’d been thinking all along it’d end in disaster.

However, I saw her a few times a couple of weeks ago when she was back, although we left it as “friends”. But oh shit; since then I’ve found myself gawping at pictures of her on Facebook at work. In terms of a relationship, I don’t even know if it’d work, but she’s the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen in real life (need to get a grip!)

I’m not really quite sure how to work this out; I think it’s mostly down to the fact my usual “winter slump” has kicked in and I need to do something with my life.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Nicola wish it hadn’t happened

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Davidtay

Read to posts above, man

Don’t be a wally … Go For It.

Don’t mess about.

Ask tonight

Good luck

fasthaggis

I almost had a beautiful psychic girlfriend ,but she left me before we met.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member
    Davidtay

Read to posts above, man

Don’t be a wally … Go For It.

Don’t mess about.

Ask tonight

Good luck

Well, it sounds like it all worked out ok for you!

Me OTOH; with a low self esteem/lack of self confidence; I have to wait for a girl to make some sort of first move.

Mister-P
    Free Member

But they rarely do David. I know, I’m currently in a 4 year dry spell. Although maybe I’m just an ugly bugger!

milky1980
    Free Member

I’m useless with women so I have two that I missed out on.

Gillian: We were in school together and I fancied the crap out of her the whole 5 years. We talked all the time, sat near each other in classes and just got on really well. Sadly she was one of the popular crowd and I was one of the outcasts so school teenage politics meant I never asked her out. I left school to go to college so I didn’t see her for years, by which time she was married and had two kids. Bumped into her in a bar last year and we carried on as if it was yesterday we were at school together! She confided that she’d fancied me the whole time but couldn’t do anything about it at school and our paths never crossed again afterwards until then. She’s still amazing.

Hannah: Met her through work and I’d always have to call in on her office every Friday before going home. We always chatted about weekend plans etc which is how I knew she had a boyfriend (who sounded like an idiot!) so never made the move. This went on for 3 years and it was a running joke in her office that it was coming up to ‘Hannah’s Milky Moment’ at 4.50pm every Friday 😆 She found a new job though so she was moving away. On her last day I was ill so didn’t go to work. Went to her office the next week and her ex-colleagues told me she was gutted I hadn’t been there on her last day, mainly as she had split with her boyfriend earlier that week and wanted to give me her number. She didn’t leave it for me so I thought that was that.
    6 months later I found a note left under my car windscreen with a phone number on it and the words ‘Friday, 4.50? H.’. I A: didn’t twig who it was and B: had a new girlfriend so just screwed the paper up and threw it in the bin. I split with the girlfriend two weeks later (she cheated on me) and only then did the lightbulb go on 😳 I’d have dumped the current squeeze in a heartbeat for Hannah 😥

Edit:

I have to wait for a girl to make some sort of first move.

But they rarely do.

Sounds all too familiar. I don;t count the gaps, gets depressing 😐

I’ve had a lifetime of this sort of thing.

Just ride yer bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Relationships that never happened’ is closed to new replies.