Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Reflective gear
  • rolfharris
    Free Member

Just had a bit of a word from the old man. I've come home for Christmas and thought I'd sneak in a christmas eve ride (which was cracking). I've just got back, about 10 mins ago, and he's adamant that I should've had reflective stuff on, and my back light wasn't bright enough.

This is the light I use, on fast flashing-

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/4365/Smart-307R-7-LED-Rear-Light.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid4365

But the main question is, does anyone actually use reflective gear these days? I can't imagine going out in a samsonite belt. Is there a subtle solution that works with a backpack on?

andrewh
    Free Member

On my way home most nights I overtake a middle-aged woman on a shopping bike (no, really!)

Anyway, she has a reflective top, a reflective band thing around her rucksack as it covers some of the top and reflective patches on the rear of both paniers. She has a rear light on the seat-post and another rear light on the rucksack. She also has no helmet! WTF?

She can be seen from miles away, but so can people with one decent light. It makes no difference to the driver who isn't paying attention how many lights one has and that's when my helmet may be more use than all her shiney stuff.

allthepies
    Free Member

That smart light is the business, use one every day when commuting. And I do wear reflective gear, why not – it's very effective at making you seen.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use some of that Black reflective tae that Colin ( Not DC… 😉 ) was banging on about last year…

You know, the stuff we had the stickers made out of over there ——–>

Bought a sheet of it, put it through a hole punch, and have covered the Ribble with it.- The frames black, so you can't see it, till light hits it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

most stuff, bag, coat, jerseys etc have reflective stuff on. it is a lot better imo than lights.

have a look at the photo here stands out a mile off.

Northwind

At the risk of starting a helmet debate, your helmet's going to be very little use if someone drives through you at 40mph. I've got various hi-viz kit around, mainly from motorbiking. I've always worked on the basis that one light is a bare minimum but what if it fails or gets mud splashed on it? And I don't think the "drivers don't pay attention" argument really works for that matter, a single light just isn't massively visible, you can easily do better. I do the same dark road commute by motorbike and by pushbike and some of the stealthy cyclists you see with one light are easy to miss, especially in traffic.

A lot of stuff sold as visibility gear- the classic sam brown belts etc- aren't much good, so that's one thing to watch, 3M retroreflectives or a similiar product are what you want, if you're going to wear anything, don't settle for old-fashioned reflective strips and yellow cloth. A builder's vest is great for cycling, since they're also very well ventilated, and dirt cheap (one with arms, better still)

But if you don't want all that, and you wear a rucksack, a couple of 3M adhesive strips costs buttons and does make you immensely more visible.

druidh
    Free Member

That wee Smart light is a bit pants. There are better versions.

Reflective works really well. Lots of bike gear has it – tabs on the backs of shoes, woven into rucksack seams and cords, panels and other features on jackets and shorts. It's very effective once caught in car headlamps – much more so than a wee red light.

Like Teeto says, just bang some more on your bike somewhere. If you use the black stuff, it doesn't even have to be that obvious.

juiced
    Free Member

yep. Wear a fluro / scotbrite vest whenever on street rides and road rides.Dramastically increases visbality for cars. I got a massive baggy one to go over my jackets and allow for rad moves.

Houns

Use Black 3m tape as above. Me helmet is covered in it

*Wonders why DC is wanting to preserve Lukes life*

avdave2

Batteries have never failed yet on my hi vis vest. It also works from all angles is higher up and less likely to be obscured than a light and has a much bigger surface area.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Houns – Member

*Wonders why DC is wanting to preserve Lukes life*

That thought had crossed my mind too… 😉

sockpuppet

two rear lights and that black reflective here. i'm not that worried about riding on the roads, probably done about 3000 miles on road this year, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

put some little pieces of the tape on the black bits of your rims too – can hardly be seen until it flares up in teh lights at night. looks ace!

back on topic… yes, one light should be ok, but why not add some reflective too?

rolfharris
    Free Member

I ain't wearing a hi-vis vest- I overheat in 2 base layers, and don't want more layers. Or to look like a tube, which isn't the point, but hey.

Do they do reflective tape in "should've bought a more subtle bike" green?

Normally I use one of those gurt big cateye rear lights which is wonderful, but couldn't be arsed bringing it home.

nonk
    Free Member

i reckon you need the tape on you shoes the up and down motion gets you instantly noticed as a cyclist.

Northwind

A vest isn't likely to overheat you, they're a very open weave- remember they're designed for fat men pushing wheelbarrows 😉 I can't tell any difference if I'm wearing mine.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Couple of slapwraps – one on wrist, one on the ankle. On the offside.

Northwind

Slapwraps come under "sort of shiny" rather than properly reflective. OK but not great.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Just go out without the reflective stuff Luke. Darwin will take care of the rest.

TooTall
    Free Member

A high viz vest bastardised into a Camelbak cover would be a start, along with a 2nd light on the bag. The supermarkets seem to do cheap LED lights that do well as extras about your person.

hitman
    Free Member

dinotte

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Reflective gear’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM