Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Red Bull Rampage.
  • slowuphill
    Free Member

Looking forward to this later this week, But there seems not to be much coverage of it even on the Red Bull Site. Just a few insta reposts on dirt. Thought they would be promoting it more….

selaciosa
    Free Member

I’ll just watch the highlights. It’s well boring.

Also, wonder if Red Bull are actually giving the riders the money they deserve for risking their lives to promote its sugary water.

alishand

A media blackout until later on apparently – or maybe the journos just haven’t rocked up with the build crews?

This years venue looks wild though, more so than ever. The terrain looks ridiculously steep and without the ‘controlled’ big wooden features from previous years (Sender, canyon gap etc..) I expect it’ll lead to some pretty wild and sketchy lines.

Rampage never used to make me nervous watching it – but it certainly does now. Maybe I just got old!

rhid

I fear for the riders this year. Some of the stuff they have built looks mental. I’ll watch it but from behind a cushion.

P-Jay
    Free Member

And there was me thinking after last years crashes they’re inject a degree of sanity into the mix.

As above, I’ll watch the highlights, it’s a good show but it goes on forever.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Every article on Pinkbike has people asking in the comments, apparently no media allowed onsite til wednesday

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also, wonder if Red Bull are actually giving the riders the money they deserve for risking their lives to promote its sugary water.

Aren’t most RedBull sponsored riders anyway? Assume it’s in the contract.

A relatively unknown rider can make a decent career off the back of a good Rampage. Unfortunately Rampage can also end careers.

richmtb

The terrain looks ridiculously steep and without the ‘controlled’ big wooden features from previous years (Sender, canyon gap etc..)

No canyon gap?

Or have they just built their own mental kickers instead?

selaciosa
    Free Member

Aren’t most RedBull sponsored riders anyway? Assume it’s in the contract.

A relatively unknown rider can make a decent career off the back of a good Rampage. Unfortunately Rampage can also end careers.

Nice contract that… You’ll have to foot the bill yourself to get here for you and your build crew. If you want to make any of that money back at all you’ll have to send the biggest jumps you’ve ever done in your life and risk ending your career or worse.

I think I read last year that the pressure on the riders is immense knowing that to stand any kind of chance they have to put it all on the line, because there’s always someone willing to risk that little bit more than you.

I really don’t like the event.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looking forward to it, only thing is it’s on in the middle of the night so it will be the rerun. If the weather holds it will run smoothly and at a decent pace.

Plenty of pics on instagram from the riders.

Probably won’t get as sun burnt as watching it on TV and the after party won’t be quite as raucous

Northwind

I think what might make a difference this year is taking it off the FMB diamond tour- that put far more pressure on riders to compete. As a standalone event it’s got a very different tone.

frogstomp

Total prize fund – $150,000 this year apparently, so a 50% increase over last year.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Are there any other events like this, where riders pick there own line down a mountain and can dig lips, landings etc?

selaciosa
    Free Member

Total prize fund – $150,000 this year apparently, so a 50% increase over last year.

That pot is split between the winner and top runners-up, which encourages even greater risk taking with fewer rewards outside those top slots. If I’m one of the ‘lesser-known/successful’ riders, surely I’m gonna stick it all on the line for a life-changing pay cheque.

I think all riders should get rewarded outside of their usual sponsorship deals for competing and that pot of increased cash should trickle further down the rankings.

I know no-one is holding a gun to these guys’ heads. It’s just my thoughts on it that’s all. I guess what I want to see is Red Bull being responsible and making sure they’re all rewarded and looked after for what is essentially a judged entertainment show put on by Red Bull.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Harsh I know but other disciplines are available. If the likes of Zink really deem Rampage to be too dangerous then take up DH or XC. Or sailing. Or become an estate agent. If they all start saying f* that then the event will have to change. The whole point of this is pushing boundaries, no one’s going to watch a 2 hour live feed of people doing whips down the A470 at BPW!

People risk their lives for their jobs and as volunteers for far greater causes all over the world and get paid less, if anything and receive less fame and recognition.

PrinceJohn

Chrishc I think you’re missing the point.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yes, I do realise that’s a bit of a tangent but was trying to put some perspective on the whole ‘extreme athletes expected to do extreme stuff’ outrage.

Plus seeing Tom Van Steenberger’s vid where he lives at his parents’ massive house with a bikepark built in the garden doesn’t help sympathise with them!

FuzzyWuzzy

I dunno I think it’s a fair point – there’s not much they can do to make the event safer without making it less of a spectacle and the only reason it exists in the first place is to be an amazing event to watch. If a rider doesn’t think the risk vs reward is good enough they shouldn’t compete (I highly doubt they’re contracted to ride it let alone risk their lives by actually trying to win it).

Perhaps the question is should we watch it (and therefore support it) knowing the big risks involved? Personally I’m planning to, same as I watch the IoM TT etc. I don’t sit there hoping for crashes but part of the excitement in watching comes from the risks involved. I appreciate there’s a lot of skill in BMX flatland but I’d rather watch park or vert ramp events.

PrinceJohn

It’s not about making the event safer per say, it’s more about supporting the competitors when things go wrong and even offering event insurance and accommodation for the competitors.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

All entrants should be insured by Redbull automatically.

I will watch, as usual.

chrishc777
    Free Member

100% agreed on that thomasthetankengine, I was shocked to find out that wasn’t the case after Paul Bas’s crash last year.

frogstomp
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

That is bonkers, 100% bonkers that drop!!

and then take a look at the end, he was clipped in 🙂

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Just took a look at Bearclaw and Tyler McCaul’s line …GULP!

This was on DB’s facebook page.

jimjam
    Free Member

Plenty of pics and videos on the rider’s instagram accounts. Can embed them on most forums. But not this one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/impassable-route-red-bull-rampage-2016.html
    Video from Red Bull of the impassible – the one the Claw had one fcebook, bonkers line I think we are in for a treat this year, might have to get some NWD in as a warm up

Northwind

Sair one.

(when did instagram become the place to post videos? It’s crap at it)

jimjam
    Free Member

How so?

turbo1397
    Free Member

What time is this on in the UK? 😕

Dark-Side

Starts at 17:30 I think

joefm

Why is it on a Friday?

jonnym92

Why is it on a Friday?

Thought it was so if it was postponed they have 2 weekend days to get the runs in?

Brendan Fairclough is out with injured wrists which is disappointing!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I feel sick watching that

spawnofyorkshire

Brendan Fairclough is out with injured wrists which is disappointing!

Are you sure? Nothing I’ve seen says he’s out, just that he’s banged up but still riding today

chrishc777
    Free Member

He’s just posted on FB saying his wrists are taped ready to go

philwarren11
    Free Member

The Tippie vid says hes out. If his FB is saying he’s in, hes in.

AlexSimon

(when did instagram become the place to post videos? It’s crap at it)

I know! It’s almost as it FB/Instagram have paid RedBull to have an exclusive deal or something. Perhaps they have!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Red Bull Rampage.’ is closed to new replies.