Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recovery drink powder
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that when I drink one of those “For Goodness Shakes” drinks after a long ride I feel a lot better the following day. The price isn’t really a problem for me but either having a load of them in the fridge or remembering to buy half a dozen of them every few weeks isn’t really working. Does anyone know of a powdered drink I can mix with milk or water that does the same sort of job (some protein, some carbs etc).

simondbarnes

You could try For Goodness Shakes.

atlaz
    Free Member

If they did big buckets of the stuff I would.

ratherbeintobago

If they did big buckets of the stuff I would.

You mean these?

Andy

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh, they DO do a big tub. Nice one, thanks

ratherbeintobago

FWIW FGS are much, much nicer than any other recovery shake I’ve tried.

Andy

matthew_h
    Free Member

The big tubs are cheaper from wiggle than direct and if you get two then you’ll be up over £50 so signing up for the newsletter will get you some more money off making it cheaper still. Still over a £1 a time though

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bog standard chocolate milk is just as good.

ratherbeintobago

Still over a £1 a time though

Yes, but how often is it really necessary? I usually only bother with a recovery drink if I’m planning on going out again the next day, or if I’ve had a morning-before-starting-nights spin.

Andy

bazep
    Free Member

Banana + pint of milk = golden

nsaints
    Free Member

Wasn’t there some article linked here a some time ago.
    After much testing; the conclussion was the Yazoo (sell it most places, cheap chocolate milk) is as good as the fancy stuff.

Anyone remember the article/got a link…I’d like to read it again.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

yup

ruscle
    Free Member

Myprotein is a good website for all this stuff, hi quality whey protein OS what you want.

hilldodger
    Free Member

the recovery drinks have significantly different ingredients to chocolate milk, whether you think this makes any difference is up to you.
    As for price, I don’t think £1(ish, depending on product) a go is excessive compared to the price of other ‘chiller cabinet’ drinks.

atlaz
    Free Member

I can definitely notice the difference over just drinking some milk and eating pasta etc when I get home. I don’t bother every time, only if it’s been a hard ride or I’m out the following day.

mrbaldyhead
    Free Member

Yazoo does it for me, both after MTB and long road rides.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As for price, I don’t think £1(ish, depending on product) a go is excessive compared to the price of other ‘chiller cabinet’ drinks.

500ml For Goodness Shakes £1 @ Morrisons

1000ml of choc milk £1 @ co-op.

Do a Google search there a fair bit of info about the benefits of choc milk, I used to use for goodness shakes but use bog standard choc milk now, I don’t notice any difference as both work.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

hilldodger
    Free Member

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Agree totally.

DavidB
    Free Member

Don’t do recovery drinks unless your housemates/family really enjoy prolonged flatulence.

jameso

Nesquik is good stuff, plenty of vitamins in it.

I buy casien (milk) or whey protein and mix 2 tablespoons of that with 2 spoons of nesquik and maybe one of ovaltine (for added vitamin range). Shake into a 750ml bottle of skimmed milk. There’s all the vitamins, minerals and protein you need there at a lot less than £1 a serving. I’d say it’s made a difference to my recovery and riding this year, although cutting out post-ride beer has probably done more.

oxnop
    Free Member

I just buy a 5kg bag of unflavoured whey protein and some banana or vanilla flavdrops from MyProtein.com so for less than £50 ill get the equivalent of 200 FGS’s

Either mix with water for around 25g of protein. Or, after a long ride ill put a scoop in the blender with a banana and 350ml of milk which gives me c.40g or protein, which is more than adequate for a recovery drink.

nsaints
    Free Member

Found it, don’t you just love google!!!

Here’s the thread I mentioned above – the ‘milk tests’ are on pushbikerider’s post, half way down the thread

Click Here!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recovery drink powder’ is closed to new replies.