Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommended campsites 7stanes
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

Thinking of heading up to Scotland for my summer hols, shamefully have never been before! Any recommendations for campsites around the trail centres and maybe some more wild cycling areas too?

mattmbk
    Free Member

If you go to Glentress and Inners you could camp at the Rosetta campsite in Peebles, short walk into town, facilities fine and it has a bar. Loads of bikers use it.

scraprider
    Free Member

http://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/
    i stayed here last year in my pikey van, very nice site very friendly etc etc , in the middle ish of the best riding in the U.K.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Drumroamin Farm Camping & Caravan Site
    -have stayed here whilst cycling at some of the 7stanes. Good location for Kirroughtree and Glentrool.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Glentress has them wooden “pod” things, they look like an interesting alternative.
    wigwams and pods 7 stanes

29erconvert
    Free Member

I stayed at thebikelodge.co.uk I know its not a camp site but if there’s a lot going works out quit cheap imo, and it’s made for bikers
    and about 5 mins from glentress
    check it out

snakebite
    Free Member

Just got back from GT, we stayed at Crossburn , great site/showers/security, easy walk to Tesco/Peebles. Last year we stayed at Castlepoint about 8 miles from Mabie, 20 odd to Kirroughtree, Glentrool and half a mile ride direct onto Dalbeattie red/black.

As mentioned above, they have pods now at Glentress, £30 a night i think, also at Dalbeattie and Mabie.

Fluff66
    Free Member

+1 for Rosetta – walking distance to Peebles (and excellent Prince of India restaurant, and the Bridge pub for a decent pint). Lots of bikers. Sometimes noisy. Newer management over last few years seem a bit more random/less clued up than previous owners

I stayed at Tweedside Caravan Park in Innerleithen years ago. Right in the middle of a slightly bleak looking council estate. Shower water pressure so bad, it just ran down the walls and you had to flick the water onto yourself

Kippford holiday park – South of Dalbeattie. Good showers. Nice, mainly statics. VERY expensive for campers

Hoddom Castle – reasonable prices. Good location for Southern Stanes. Nice campsite. Good showers. Bad bar and bad takeaway on site. Close to A/M74 Motorway

mikeclarke
    Free Member

For Glentress/Inner i always stay at tweedside caravan park really friendly and although it looks drab on the estate its as quiet a place ul find honestly as for the showers must of fixed them there ace.

For mabie i stay at a campsite in beeswing on the main road (again quiet) you can cycle up to the trail at top near the darkside and ride down to the xc trail no probs.

For delbeatie i did try Kippford buty yeah expensive however you can join the trail just up the road in forest, but i now go to the otherside of the estuary and camp at Barlochan caravan park its great and pub in palnackie 5mins walk

As for kirroughtree i always treat myself and stay in the youth hostel in minnigaff its nice there is asite though in the village

hope this helps ul love the trails there they are amazing to ride. One reccomendation is when you get to the end of the red at glentress ul cross a bridge finish it off on the blue route there are some great jumps in there…

Fluff66
    Free Member

@mikeclarke

If the showers have been fixed, then I would be tempted to give that place (Tweedside) another go (if Rosetta was full) as it was actually a fairly nice site once you were in it

+1 for finishing on the blue rather than the red at GT. The jumps are loverley 😀

Will have to check out that Barlochan campsite.

supertacky
    Free Member

Kippford holiday park near Dalbeattie – easy for Dalbeattie, Maybe & K tree.

Really good site. Highly recommended.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

Barlochan for DBT
    Loch Ken for KT
    Rossetta for TV

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, lots of planning and research to do 🙂

mikeclarke
    Free Member

barlochan has an outdoor pool also (forgot to mention that) what more could u want after a hard ride in the summer??

Trekster

For Mabie/Ae and Dalbeattie add Sandyhills and Castle Point into the mix
    For some “wild riding” OS78 is the map you need and look at the Southern Upland Way and trails from Sanquhar and Durisdeer

There is also the coastal path from Portling(or Sandyhills) to Kipford which you can add on to the Dalbeattie trail 😆

If you care to divulge the dates you are planning to be in the Dumfries area we could meet and I can point you in the right direction as could Rik @ http://www.drumlanrig.com/drumlanrig-outdoor-activities/mountain-biking

Most locals whether at GT/Inners or in the Dumfries area know a fair few trails out-with the centres.

FOG

Loch Ken activity centre has a campsite and also garden sheds with beds and electric points if you can’t be bothered to take the tent.
    Staff very friendly and helpful. They took time out to recommend pubs, restaurants etc as well as best way to the Stanes

nigpay1
    Free Member

i’m going here at the weekend:

http://tibbieshiels.com/

it’s a pub. enough said.

30 mins from GT/Inners

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommended campsites 7stanes’ is closed to new replies.