Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • recommend some bug repellant for night rides
  • robob
    Free Member

went on my first night ride in shorts on thursday 😀 and got my first bug bite of the season 🙁

was on double dose flucloxacillin 3x last year and just started my first course of this year and i’m wazzed off with it.

as prevention is always the best cure i’m looking for an effective repellant that doesn’t sweat off, any suggestions?

thanks.

geoffj

Antibiotics for insect bites?

Skin so soft is worth a try.

Smarty
    Free Member

I’ve had good results using this

Here’s the link
    http://www.alternativeinsectrepellent.co.uk/

craigxxl
    Free Member

Skin so soft from Avon works amazingly well. Thought it was a wind up to begin with but it works better than actual bug repellants.

gator
    Free Member

+1 SSS

j_me
    Free Member

Ride faster ?
    SSS is effective but you’ll end up smelling like an old lady 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

SSS is NOT a repellent. It is effective against midges as long as you apply a good, thick layer of the stuff as it then drowns the little bastards.

Try something with DEET in it if you want to be 100% sure, but don’t get it on any plastic surfaces (like yer sunnies).

Oh – and wot geoffj says – why do you need antibiotics?

robob
    Free Member

smell like an old lady? i’m in!

anti biotics becuase i get bitten, my leg swells up, goes bright red, aches like flip, i get run down, bite area blisters and the redness then starts tracking up my leg. generally i go to the gp and they say “oh hello Mr Harrison, is it that time of year again?” they give me a prescription for anti biotics, draw a line just above my knee on the back of my leg and say “take these, if the tracking goes above this line get yourself down to a&e, good morning”.
    thats why!

sss? seriously? i was thinking of weapon strength deet?

johnners
    Free Member

Autan works well for me. I’ve never tried SSS, but the way it keeps getting bigged up on here I reckon half this forum is made up of Avon Ladies.

uplink
    Free Member

DEET

But if I reacted that bad to every bite, I don’t think I’d bother with shorts

BadlyWiredDog

If you ‘re reluctant to smear DEET on your skin – nasty stuff – I’ve found Nikwax SkitoStop works really well. I was at a barbecue last year on the shore of Lake Konstanz, loads of biting things, found it worked brilliantly while people around me were being massacred.

neninja
    Free Member

If you want to use something natural and avoid Deet then ‘Prevent’ and ‘Repel-It’ both work well against midges, horseflies etc.
    Prevent contains natural pyrethrin and as well as being a repellent, it kills bugs that land on you (you can use it as a safe insect killer in rooms as well).

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/insect-protection/insect-repellent/prevent-insect-repellent-pump-spray/

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/insect-protection/insect-repellent/care-plus-picaridin-repel-it-spray/

If you are happy to use Deet then Ultrathon is the best in my experience.

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/insect-protection/insect-repellent/ultrathon-insect-repellent/

robob
    Free Member

ultrathon, that sounds more like it!

better than “skin so soft” anyway!

i’ve also seen deet repel 100 any experience of both?

is there anything called “destroy the little bastards in a 5 mile radius in an horrific manner”?

do you think it might be a good idea to use the paint stripper type stuff solely on arms and legs and sss on my face?

thanks for the suggestions?

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve used Repel 100 on my arms, legs, neck & face without problems – I managed the whole of last years Kielder 100 weekend without a single bite

It stinks though

jimthesaint

Don’t use anything that has over 40% DEET. Several tests have proven that you don’t gain anything in either effectiveness or longevity by using massive DEET concentrations. All you are doing is inviting cancer.

Be careful how you put on a DEET based repellent. DEET will eat through glasses, helmets, synthetic clothing (most cycling stuff then) in the blink of an eye.

If it must be DEET 3M Ultrathon seems the best choice. Most ‘standard’ DEET solutions are not very long lasting hence why 3M developed Ultrathon. Still eats plastic and has the same cancer risks though. Oh and if you use DEET and sunblock together it more than halfs the SPF of the sun block.

I’d use something made from PMD (Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus), it’s naturally derived, won’t give you cancer, won’t damage clothing and doesn’t effect sun-block.

Purple Turtle is a good place to buy any insect repellents from: http://www.purpleturtle.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_by_Brand.html

druidh
    Free Member

jim the saint – Member
    All you are doing is inviting cancer

Evidence?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deet is the only answer. Nothing else works anything like as well.

Spud
    uplink
    Free Member

Be careful how you put on a DEET based repellent. DEET will eat through glasses, helmets, synthetic clothing (most cycling stuff then) in the blink of an eye.

I’ve managed many all day trips with 100% DEET on & I’ve yet to see any evidence that my clothing, glasses or helmet is in any way damaged
    I’m sure I blinked a few times too

so what’s the basis of your claims? experience?

jimthesaint

The active ingredient in many insect repellents, deet, has been found to be toxic to the central nervous system. Researchers writing in the open access journal BMC Biology say that more investigations are urgently needed to confirm or dismiss any potential neurotoxicity to humans, especially when deet-based repellents are used in combination with other neurotoxic insecticides.

Vincent Corbel from the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement in Montpellier, and Bruno Lapied from the University of Angers, France, led a team of researchers who investigated the mode of action and toxicity of deet (N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide). Corbel said, “We’ve found that deet is not simply a behavior-modifying chemical but also inhibits the activity of a key central nervous system enzyme, acetycholinesterase, in both insects and mammals”.

Discovered in 1953, deet is still the most common ingredient in insect repellent preparations. It is effective against a broad spectrum of medically important pests, including mosquitoes. Despite its widespread use, controversies remain concerning both the identification of its target sites at the molecular level and its mechanism of action in insects. In a series of experiments, Corbel and his colleagues found that deet inhibits the acetylcholinesterase enzyme – the same mode of action used by organophosphate and carbamate insecticides. These insecticides are often used in combination with deet, and the researchers also found that deet interacts with carbamate insecticides to increase their toxicity. Corbel concludes, “These findings question the safety of deet, particularly in combination with other chemicals, and they highlight the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to the development of safer insect repellents for use in public health”.

Notes:
    Evidence for inhibition of cholinesterases in insect and mammalian nervous systems by the insect repellent deet
    Vincent Corbel, Maria Stankiewicz, Cedric Pennetier, Didier Fournier, Jure Stojan, Emmanuelle Girard, Mitko Dimitrov, Jordi Molgo, Jean Marc Hougard and Bruno Lapied
    BMC Biology (in press)
    Article available at journal website: http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcbiol/

Source:
    Graeme Baldwin
    BioMed Central

DEET is bad news

Sorry not carcinogenic but neurotoxic. Products with more than a 30% concentration of DEET were/are banned in New York and Canada.

uplink
    Free Member

Sorry not carcinogenic but neurotoxic. Products with more than a 30% concentration of DEET were/are banned in New York and Canada.

100% is certainly available throughout Canada

30% DEET is not twice as strong as 60% DEET it just gives you twice as long protection time

jimthesaint

100% is certainly available throughout Canada

Are you sure?

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pest/_decisions/rrd2002-01/index-eng.php

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/life-vie/insect-eng.php

If it is available they are either selling it illegally or it’s really old stock.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just take a fat sweaty mid 20’s hormone rich lad out with you on the ride and stay close to him so they go bite him instead.
    My sensible suggestion is if you react that badly to bites wear some long bottoms and put up with the fact that you have your legs covered.
    I use Avon SSS too, it certainly works on midges and similar and as for horse flies, I havent been bitten by one whilst wearing it but then only been bitten a few times by one anyway (just happened to be when I have not had SSS on I think).
    How about carrying some Antisan cream in your pack and pre dosing with an antihistamine before you go out?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘recommend some bug repellant for night rides’ is closed to new replies.