Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Recommend me some lights
  • simonb256
    Free Member

Specifically for racing at night.

I currently have a Cateye Triple shot, which just isn't bright enough (but will be used as either an emergency light or as a flood with a separate spot).

Before anyone suggests it, the P7 is not a viable option to me (except maybe as an emergency light).

Budget is around £500, but I would like that to an extra battery included in there. Though doesn't have to if something exceptional is out there.

Any suggestions?

I have only really looks at the Exposure Maxx-D though apparently it hasnt got a decent range? and the lupines.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Troutlight. I'm extremely happy with mine. You could get the light, and 2 5 hour batteries for well within your budget.

traildog
    Free Member

Hmm. I'm thinking of upgrading my old Lumicycles so looking at lights also. Have to say though, my lumi's have lasted years and years and any problems are easily fixed on them. This makes me wonder if their new Led systems are the one to go for.

simonb256
    Free Member

Lumicycles are another option, though I havent looked at them yet. However all the guys I ride with seem to have them.

Im just looking at the troutlight threads now… tempting 🙂

EDIT: with the troutlights any idea what the charge times are?

allthegear
    Free Member

with a troutelight, the charging time depends on what battery you decide to get – it's up to you…

Personally, I had it wired to work with my Hope HID battery and that works out great for me.

trout
    Free Member

I only have leds for 2 of these beautys at the moment more in a week for the liberators .

Charge times from empty I believe 4 to 6 hours for a 5.2 amp hour pack.

cookeaa

Budget is around £500….

Not sure the word "Budget" really applies at £500 does it? In my book that’s a lot to be spending, puts you in premium territory surely…

Are you looking at just a single unit or would you consider putting more than one light on your bars and/or noggin?

Lumicycle are worth considering as they have an “upgrade path”, that is they offer emitter upgrades for the head units, so if say in 3 years you feel your light is behind the current crop it’s not such an outlay to get the latest & greatest LED in the same unit, worth considering, and they offer multiple battery/spares options…

Maybe spend £350-400 with them now keep £100 in the bank for possible future upgrades?

elaineanne
    Free Member

blimey thats expensive budget to spend on a light…. ive just upgraded to hope 2 and put it on my helmet…. i am impressed with it….i can see where im going now insted of a medium light on my handlebars…..so much easier fixed to helmet….you can actually race in the dark now…lol

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Lumicycle fan here.

Those Trout lights look nice pieces though.

spokebloke
    Free Member

the P7 is not a viable option to me

Why?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not sure the word "Budget" really applies at £500 does it?

eh budget means what you expect to spend on something, it doesn't mean 'cheap tat' 😀

Trouts lights are stunning btw, just wish I had that 7up, but I'll have to make do with the lovely lumen liberator.

simonb256
    Free Member

The reason Im looking at that cost is as I want something over 1000lumens with sufficient battery power to get me through a 24hr endurance race, solo.

I'll be quite happy to have two separate lights and was originally tempted to (one flood and one spot).

I realize £500 is a lot for a set of lights, but If I get a decent hope light and a couple of extra batteries then it soon eats up that budget.

My current Cat Eye cost me around £300 when I got it (many years ago) and well it was kinda crap, battery managed around 1 lap before it needed charging but it was only a 300lumen I think.

DezB
    Free Member

I'd definitely be looking at the L&M Seca for that kind of money.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I love my Exposure Enduro. It's just simple, and I like that. In my mind, simplicity is a real virtue on any product. I'm sure the Maxx-d is excellent. But maybe an Enduro with a Joystick might be a better bet, as you get the advantages of head and bar mounted lights.

simonb256
    Free Member

Sorry I neglected to mention that I already have a decent helmet mounted light and just after bar mounted.

To clear up what exactly I want/need:

Bar mounted.
    900lms +
    an extra battery
    Good run times
    Similarly good charge times

Context:
    I stupidly decided to do SITS solo this year and I need a new light. According to what I can see there will be about 9hrs darkness and I need lighting for 6 of those hours (3 x 2).

trail_rat
    Free Member

simon – get a USE exposure Maxx D and a triple cell back up for it that should let you run 940 lumens for 6 hours – for your budget you could get a pair of triple cells and run them for 9 hours on full – i rarely run the maxx D on 940 lumens though as its overkill

I run a Maxx D and a Joystick on my head (with a triple cell backup on the joystick)

I just finished 24 hours strathpuffer solo on that set up running the maxx D on medium and the joystick on full bore for the full 17 or 18 hours of darkness – and the maxx D still ran to the end of the race because i didnt turn it off through fatigue.

Cannot reccomend the maxx D highly enough – im sure they also contributed to the melting of snow on the course 😉

Rory Hitchens and his guys are a really sound bunch of fellas too should you have any issues – the only issue i had was paying him ! (yes ive just given you that sales pitch and now im telling you i payed for them with my own cash ! )
    – we now have built up something like 6 set ups like above in the ABC over the last year or 2 with no one having any issues that im aware of – unlike another very premium brand where we got a few sets to test for an(as in singlular) event and every set broke mid lap.

Word up to the trout light though. I would seriously consider them now given i was riding with a chap last night who had the 5 leds in a square block type one (what do you call that trout ? ) and the workmanship and light out put was pretty epic. Tne only downside i could see to that light was it looked like a bit of a pain to swap between helmets/bikes mid race

conversely
    Bastid light – one of our group last night had one – it completely self destructed before he got it on the bike – mount snapped – then snapped off the light. He rode with his diablo and the club lights after that – not impressed you get what you pay for and i for one wouldnt be turning up to a 24hour race with that piece of shit – would rather go for some lo0ckblocks and a pair of fenix

robhughes
    Free Member

+1 for trouties marvels.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used a niterider 600 pro at the 'puffer. fantastic bit of kit and altho its costs £450 you can see why. Its a quality piece of kit – easy to mount and use blah blah blah

Its a real measured 600 lumen – the same LED as the bastid and all the other "900 lumen lights" and certainly brighter than the bastid light I saw

programmable to a load of different settings – comes set for 150 / 300 / 600 lumen. I used it for about 10 hrs switching between light levels and still had 1/4 battery left. great beam pattern. Best light I have tried / seen ( but I haven't tried a trout 🙂 )

boriselbrus
    Free Member

+1 for the Trout. No weaknesses at all, and I'm very hard to please!

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Hi i have a Trout light lumen liberator for sale its a red one with the charger & 2.6ah battery,i am after £200 for it as its only been used 4 times,i am only selling it as i have made a light myself now so the trout is not getting used anymore,the 2.6ah battery will last for around 2.5 hours on full & 5 on low,new batterys are around £50 for the 2.6 & £80 for a 5.2ah.

cheers

nige.

scoobymart
    Free Member

LEDgend lights are excellent lights, i,ve had helmet and bar lights of him for me and my son twice over as they keep on getting brighter and lighter in weight and they have served me very well indeed and i do recommend them so give Mark allport a call on 07977432909,what he does not no about these lights is not worth knowing. He can make a light to your individual specification.If you do give him a call tell him you've had his number of martin.

scoobymart
    Free Member

i,ve got a 1000 lumen helmet light of LEDgend lights and an approx burn times of 3 to 6 hrs depending if i switch it to it's lowest setting which comes in at about 650 lumens.

sp
    Free Member

Scoobymart do you have a link to the LEDgend lights?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

i,ve got a 1000 lumen helmet light of LEDgend lights and an approx burn times of 3 to 6 hrs depending if i switch it to it's lowest setting which comes in at about 650 lumens.

real lumens or theroetical ones? what LEDs?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Back to the OP – one of teh home led builders should be able to put the latest compatible LEDs in your triple shot which will more or less double the light output for a minimal outlay and the same run time. Just needs 3 cree s in it. ( Q5s?)

bunkbed
    Free Member

Another happy troutlight owner, it came complete with light, battery & charger 😛

scoobymart
    Free Member

Marks currently in the process of working on his own website i think, he does advertise on singletrack tho. Give him a call SP,he's an approuchable guy.

woffle
    Free Member

I'd recommend Exposure (though if he'd had his lights out when I bought my Maxx-D I'd have been tempted by a troutlight). The all-in-one design is grand, it throws out serious amounts of light and the customer service is fantastic too.

For £500 I'd have a Maxx-D, joystick and external battery.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

following on from what TJ said there is a thread on candlepowerforum about upgrading the emittors on a tripleshot.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196672

iggs
    Free Member

If your after a new light then imo youd be daft not to go for one of the troutlights.

You'll get a light built exactly the way you need it using the most up to date technology. What ever you want to prioritise (long run times, ultimate brightness, compact battery etc) Chris will be able to sort you out. NONE of the main stream competitors will be able to compete on technology (latest brightest and most efficient leds) and all at a very competitive price.

I've played the building my own lights game and I'm very pleased with the results but Chris really has taken custom mountain bike light design and building to a whole new level.

Just my 2p's worth

rangeroy
    Free Member

trout light here, he is the man & get a smudge batt pack, problem solved 😀

scoobymart
    Free Member

Talking to Mark of LEDgend lights the other day he's just sold a guy one of his 7 LED 2400 LUMEN bar lights,as he builds the battery packs up aswell this guy asked the question could he build a battery pack to fit in the tubes of his pace ridged carbon forks,he's currently workin on this at the moment so if it's possible Mark will certainly do his best to satisfy any of his pontential customers.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some lights’ is closed to new replies.