Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me an event…..
  • dknwhy

I need some motivation so recommend me something I can sign up to. Not much of a technical rider so want something that’s a bit more XC and not loads of loops of the same course. 50-100 miles or similar long weekend territory.
    Doesn’t need to be UK based.
    I saw the Black Forest Ultra (Germany) that’s on at the end of June and that seemed ideal but a bit soon.

Was also thinking of the Kielder 100 but midges put me off and for the travel costs from the south, I may as well head abroad for that continental “experience”.

I could just map a long route on my own but an event will give a slightly more competitive edge and a financial commitment would give me a kick up the backside.

eskimonumber1

BHF London to South Coast off road?

74 miles in September (I think?)

Did it a few years ago and the route was pretty decent.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member
    yetivaud
    Free Member

Grand Raid?

http://www.grand-raid.ch/en/home

It’s not that techy (plenty of folk do it on a hardtail), but definately XC in terms of climbing. One day event, stunning views, great amosphere, various route options/lenghts. Certainly a challenge for your average punter (hats off if you can make it round the 125km route). 23/24 August this year.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Try the No fuss website, they have a few biking events up in Scotland though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.wildsidemtb.com/

(Not in Europe)

Northwind

Tour de Ben Nevis? Travel obviously an issue (though you can train it right into fort william) but it’s supposed to be brilliant if you like that sort of thing

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

How about the BearBones 200 ?

200km through mid Wales in Oct … should give you time to prepare.

DETAILS

dknwhy

Cheers all. Keep the ideas coming. Like the look of the Swiss one although Verbier looks like a nightmare to get to.
    Anyone already signed up for something in Europe and looking to fill a space in the car?

Stu, I was contemplating the BB200 anyway (along with the PRT) but want something more “sportive” like as a one day event rather than carrying bivvy kit.

rewski
    Free Member

Croydon to Eastbourne Off Road, no honestly hear me out, maybe just for a training ride, some good elevation either end bit dull in the middle though.

Croydon to Woldingham, pick up the North Downs Way to Newlands Corner/St. Martha’s Hill, pick up the Downslink to Shoreham-by-Sea, South Downs Way to Eastbourne. I live near Woldingham and did it last year, bailed at Black Cap near Lewes, I’m doing it this year though.

yetivaud
    Free Member

Fly into Geneva and then take the train to Sion (Sion is where you ‘sign-in’ and have your bike checked over on the friday). They lay on buses to the start line and from the finish line back to Sion, which works out pretty nicely.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Will I get banned for mentioning the Big Bike Bash in the middle of the New Forest at the end of August?

el_bandido
    Free Member

Not as exotic as some of these, and at the bottom end of your distance requirements, but the Mary Towneley Challenge is a nice day out http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/mary-towneley-loop/

A great ride when you do it all as one, and certainly more pleasant when assisted by feeding stations and other riders.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an event…..’ is closed to new replies.