Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me an Android App for Cycling
  • nacho
    Free Member

Is there an app that will tell me how far I’ve cycled, average speed, etc? Or any other interesting ones I should know about?

didgy2
    Free Member

have a look at STRAVA if you dare! your rides will never be the same again though 🙂

orena45

Endomondo is good

nacho
    Free Member

ha ha! Cheers didgy2, I have heard of that now you mention it, seen a thread on here before. It will be a few months before it affects my riding – I’m recovering from a knee op so still on slow short non-technical rides (and I wasn’t fast before the op)
    Would be nice to know what I am doing though, I just won’t tell anyone else!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Sports Tracker occasionally freezes on my phone
    Strava has been having trouble with GPS signal (not sure if this is strava or phone but no other programs have had trouble
    Endomondo seems to be doing fine for me at the moment but I want an app that’ll tell me how much climbing i’ve done in a ride as soon as i finish.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Endomondo

headfirst
    Free Member

My Tracks is my fave having tried several.

Back Country Navigator is one of the very few apps I’ve paid for. It allows you to download as much OS mapping as you want to your phone’s memory or SD card, so that you can look at them off-line. So I’ve got pretty much half of England on zoomable OS maps on my phone, its awesome!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I was pointed towards My tracks as a GPS recorder. It does all the recording, averages, auto pause or not. Can be set to talk to you with pace or distance updates but more impressively it uses next to no battery. 8-9 hours on my poxy little phone compared to 3-4 for Strava, Endomondo etc.

headfirst
    Free Member

Can be set to talk to you with pace or distance updates

Oh yeah, I’ve gotten plenty of funny looks on group rides when this happens!

pudd
    Free Member

Strava. It’ll make you a goddam sexual tyranasauras….. just like me!

thorlz
    Free Member

I like Garmin fit, gives a summary of all the data you wanted on the phone and loads of information and stats on the website. Fantastic for £0.69.

I am currenty using the free trial of back country navigator, it’s great and I shall be buying it.

themoodster
    Free Member

Sportstracklive

theendisnigh
    Free Member

It allows you to download as much OS mapping as you want to your phone’s memory or SD card

sorry if this is a bit dim, but where do you get the OS maps from?

widge34
    Free Member

Endomondo or Strava. Use them both and both work brilliantly on Android.

colournoise

Once again I’ll be the sole torchbearer on here for Sportypal. More accurate on any of my 3 Android phones than Endomondo and Strava. Plus has a nifty route editor on the website for sorting any errant plots.

labsey
    Free Member

Runkeeper. Great free app. Track pace, speed, elevation etc.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

+1 for My Tracks, battery lasts loads longer, can save as .gpx file to export to Strava, Endomondo etc.

Northwind

Do any of them have a quick and simple way of dealing with my “oops, forgot to turn off the app before I drove home” issues? Because that’d be awesome, too many of my rides have an average speed of 60mph

user-removed
    Free Member

A massive +1 for Back Country Navigator Pro. Simply jaw-droppingly good. I use it ‘live’ if I have signal. If I’m going somewhere with no signal, I download the OS maps I’ll need before I set off.

You can also plan routes, set waypoints and all that gubbins, but I’ve never felt the need.

And it’s cheap as chips – less than a tenner IIRC…

I honestly can’t understand why MemoryMaps are still in business. Maybe they’re not?!

user-removed
    Free Member

Theendisnigh – the BCN Pro app allows unlimited use of OS mapping. Right there on yer phone. Live or downloaded. It also allows you to centre your position ‘in’ the map, and as you spin the phone, the map remains at North, so it’s really very hard to get lost.

It does eat batteries, but if you’re using an HTC that’s no problem, given that you can carry a spare 😉

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

cardio trainer works.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It does eat batteries, but if you’re using an HTC that’s no problem, given that you can carry a spare

Doesn’t taking out the battery cause the app to reset?

IHN

+1 for My Tracks.

teenrat

another +1 for my tracks

nacho
    Free Member

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, I am so out of tough with modern technology! Loads to keep me going there! Going to try Endomondo for tonight then explore the others

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an Android App for Cycling’ is closed to new replies.