Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Recommend me a seriously warm inexpensive base layer
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Many thanks in advance.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve liked my Decathlon thermal ones. Zipped high collar and a thermal fabric.

matt_outandabout

Look out for Patagonia Capeline 4 in a sale. Mrs_oab had one that cost £10 in Aviemore.

chewkw
    Free Member

Recommend me a seriously warm inexpensive base layer

I find most base layers the same because majority are made of either polyester or wool.

If you get the polyester material make sure you go for those with “double layers” polyester. As for wool they all (mostly) give you itchiness but warmer IMO.

Brand wise I don’t know … plenty about in sales at the moment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

IMO a base layer shouldn’t keep you warm, that’s the job of other layers. Your base layer should act as a windstopper and, most important of all, keep you as dry as possible.

My Gore Bike Wear base layer is absolutely indispensable during cold winter months.

EDIT : Sorry I assumed that you meant base layer for cycling but perhaps you didn’t?

doris5000

this came up a bit ago… wasn’t the consensus that some Helly Hansen or other was the winner?

chewkw
    Free Member

doris5000 – Member
    this came up a bit ago… wasn’t the consensus that some Helly Hansen or other was the winner?

Yes, that’s it Helly Hansen …

Northwind

Not sure what seriously warm means here but my cheapy Trespass is great- wicks away sweat and keeps me warm even when it’s damp. Too hot for riding, generally. But I don’t think it’d pass for arctic kit.

It doesn’t do any windstopping, put the windstopper on the outside.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Your base layer should act as a windstopper and, most important of all, keep you as dry as possible.

Surely the windstopping element should be on the outer layer of your clothes. I would also second the Decathlon base layer for cheap and functional.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In winter you want polypropylene for base layer. Warm, and will not retain moisture, (you can wear it under wetsuits as insulation).

Cheapest I could find (although I think decathlon do a triboard one)

http://www.hall-fast.com/safety-at-work/workwear/hellyhansen/wind-wet-cold/helly-hansen-kastrup-crewneck/?gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5XqAmyzPI4meMBF_mcze6b6zqaH7SgpFQiAen73MfZjgRoC-Dnw_wcB

IMO a base layer shouldn’t keep you warm, that’s the job of other layers. Your base layer should act as a windstopper and, most important of all, keep you as dry as possible.

Definitely the wrong way around, if you’re relying on your baselayer as a windstopper, how are the outer layers going to offer any insulation with gale blowing through them?

Outer layer for wind/water resistance.
    Mid layers for insulation
    Base layers for insulation or cooling*

*Lycra in summer base layers does the opposite of polypropylene in winter layers and ‘wicks’ moisture, thus keeping it on your skin and cooling, polypropylene works by just letting your skin breathe in the first place.

ton
    surfer
    Free Member

HH for the win IMO. Cant kill them with a stick 🙂 and the new ones dont smell.

Probably lots of stuff that is as warm but for wicking and speed of drying I have never found anything to touch HH.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sports Direct have a few, Campri or Nevica branded, about £10.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i bought a troy lee one because it was cheap, wasnt expecting much, but its really good. use it on its own or if cold with an old on one merino long sleeve under my gabba and have been fine so far. i really feel the cold.

interestingly popped on a 2xu shirt as well the other day and was soaking when i came off the bike, and the 2xu was way more expensive.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Definitely the wrong way around, if you’re relying on your baselayer as a windstopper, how are the outer layers going to offer any insulation with gale blowing through them?

It will. My Polaris thermal top has no problem keeping me warm in freezing conditions. If I start sweating the limited air movement allows it to dry quickly. Because the base layer is like a second skin it wicks quickly despite acting as windstopper.

That’s why Gore Bike Wear make windstopper base layers :

Clicky

matt_outandabout

Windstopper base layer? Sweaty like a pig in a butcher’s… Just because you can…

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use a 350 Smartwool base layer for walking, its pretty bloomin warm, not sure I could cope with that level of warmth on a bike though, although being in the chat forum maybe its for general use?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

HH Warm is the badger’s nadgers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Windproof base layer lol

epicyclo

Very much not a windproof base layer although there is a windstopper version.

I roasted in one of these under a Rab VR jacket in the ‘Puffer one cold year.

CountZero

If a base layer is windproof, it’s not going to wick, because it’ll have some sort of membrane to stop the wind.
    I reckon that Gore stuff is just using ‘Windstopper’ as a trade name.
    Fleece isn’t in any way windproof, not without a membrane, which is why something like a Buffalo Wind Shirt over a fleece/wicking baselayer works.

matt_outandabout

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    HH Warm is the badger’s nadgers.

I have it on good authority that Flashy has first hand experience of this.

😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Layers is the key. All of mine are ski tops. Start with one, maybe t-shirt over for riding. Colder it goes to two. Stupidly cold, three.

Not sure what my stuff is other than various ski top/base layers that I’ve got from numerous ski shops around the world.

Also got HH stuff, but much the same as the generic stuff. As I say, the key is layering.

matt_outandabout

Also got HH stuff, but much the same as the generic stuff.

Beg to differ on the HH Warm tops. Hybrid merino/man-made. The fit is ace. The fabric very good. Best for cold, damp days.
    Different better is Patagonia Capeline in 1&2 flavour – wicks like nothing else.
    Buy way better than all my other base layers.

molgrips
    Free Member

They’re right, you’re not. Well you are and aren’t.

Base layer for wicking, mid layers until you are warm enough for insulation, and the outer shell keeps the wind and rain out, or just wind.

Gore make windstopper base layers because people will buy them when they aren’t needed. Same reason they make windstopper mid layers.

Insulation is based on the idea of trapped air. So if you don’t use an outer windproof shell, the trapped warm air is blown out of the fabric by cold incoming air. Now, you may want this to happen on a bike where you are warm and need the sweat drying off, but if it’s really cold you won’t.

A single windproof outer layer with a base layer is much warmer than a stack of fleeces without a windproof layer.

Anyway to the OP – base layers come in a few weights, but if you are really cold you want to stick more fleece on – it’s cheap enough. Best wicking base layer I’ve ever used is a Mountain Warehouse one, it was £6.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Sports Pursuit had the Helly Hansen merino/polypropylene tops cheap a while ago (I bought three, and they’re my go-to base layer this time of year). Worth a look.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If a base layer is windproof, it’s not going to wick, because it’ll have some sort of membrane to stop the wind.

Windstopper doesn’t mean waterproof. My Gore Bike Wear windstopper base layer, which I’ve been using in freezing weather conditions for about the last 10 years, keeps me remarkable dry due to its wicking properties – no matter what the pace of the ride. I’ve tried other base layers and ended up with a damp base layer for the duration of the bike ride.

Wear whatever works for you.

gordimhor

Has to be said the windstopper boxers in Ernie’s link must make it difficult to fart in anyone’s general direction except your own

ninfan
    Free Member

If you really want seriously warm, just cut the crap and get a buffalo

Supposed to be worn next to the skin, so no base layer needed

eskay

You could always get the Helly Hansen ‘workwear’ baselayer:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/helly-hansen-kastrup-baselayer-crewneck-black-large-42-chest/55368#product_additional_details_container

Which has a striking resemblance (in terms of material) to some of their other performance baselayers:

https://shop.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/shop/pages/base-layer/hh-dry-stripe-2-crew-48052

Digby

In winter you want polypropylene for base layer

Not necessarily as I think it depends on the activity and the individual (and their moisture ‘output’)

I’ve tried loads over the years and my personal choice for winter activities (with the exception of running) is a close fitting merino base layer. If it’s super cold then I wear 2 x merino.

This approach has worked well for me for everything from wintry bike rides to arctic expeditions.

I find that if polypropylene gets even slightly damp through sweat then when I stop the activity I will cool down really quickly and shiver – as others have said the advantage of merino is that you stay warm even when damp.

These days you can pick up merino base layers quite reasonably, however I think its often worth paying for quality as they last longer and don’t itch.

benp1

Two options here
    – Brynje mesh, excellent, really
    – Powerdry, something close fitting made of this. Excellent wicking very warm, doesn’t feel wet. I have a Marmot Thermo 1\2 zip

These sort of items come from an outdoorsy background rather than a cycling background. Former is not something you would want to wear in public though, latter is fine.

I had to wear a thin softshell over my Brynje mesh when I went for dinner in Chamonix after a walking trip, baselayer on its own was not a good look – i was absolutely boiling!

nathb
    Free Member

Sub sports COLD – can pick them up from £11 from amazon/sports pursuit

Nearly kills me putting it on as it’s a bit tight, but lovely and warm once on.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Your base layer should act as a windstopper and, most important of all, keep you as dry as possible.

Yes and no. I have a windproof base which is great on the roadbike under a thermal layer, on nippy dry days. Wouldn’t bother with in offroad.

Probably the best ‘base’ layer I have is a Castelli tea bag top which I wear under wool as it moves sweat incredibly fast away from the body. It’s actually really good in the summer too for keeping you cool – you can often see TdF riders wearing them under team kit.

Otherwise it really depends what you’re doing. In my experience (and in colder conditions) wool is great for slower activities as it retains heat well, but it doesn’t wick as brilliantly as marketing claims. Cheaper wool can also be itchy. Synthetics can wick incredibly efficiently while moving and sweating, but can chill in cold conditions if you’re stop/start, so best saved for either shorter, intense activities or prolonged spells, such as adventure racing. Glad to be contradicted on this too. 🙂

Personally I like Helly Hanson base layers, which I often wear as a mid layer. I also like Planet X merino/Coolmax tees which work well as a compromise between wool and synthetic – they fit well and look good enough to wear on their own in the summer.

flange
    Free Member

I suffer badly with the cold (especially a recent ride in -8 temps). I read an article recently on Cyclingtips by a Pro roadie who mentioned that the best way to stay warm in winter is a string vest base layer with another normal style one over the top. Tried it, works a treat. I have a castelli string vest type affair (much amusement for the other half) then use either a Nike skinfit thing over the top or a HH long sleeve base layer . Super warm, not sweaty at all and not massively bulky either.

Having tried other brands, Endura are utter bobbins. Not warm, holds moisture so you get even colder and not cheap.

cinnamon_girl
    BadlyWiredDog

I reckon that Gore stuff is just using ‘Windstopper’ as a trade name.

No it’s not. It’ really is a next to skin, windproof baselayer using the Windstopper membrane. My experience of using WS N2S years ago is that it’s brilliant in a very narrow window of conditions. The rest of the time it’s unpleasantly sweaty. I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole.

Haglofs used to do a brilliant ‘warm’ baselayer that was a hybrid mix of merino wool and Polyester. The merino was on the inside for comfort, the polyester on the outside to wick stuff away. However it worked, it was really good.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A secondhand Merino or other soft wool jumper from a charity shop can cost bugger-all. I wear old shrunk ones under tees, and IMHO your windstopper should be the top layer to trap warm air next to your body within the fabric.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you say ‘tee’, you don’t mean cotton, do you? Cost that will not help you keep warm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a seriously warm inexpensive base layer’ is closed to new replies.