Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me ……… a razor!
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Right, I've finally decided I hate the b***dy mach3 thing I currently use. It's far to big and cumbersome. I used to have one of those two blade jobbies (sensor?) which was much nicer to use but I've lost it.

So what else is out there for [a reasonably hairy] someone who shaves twice a week on average and doesn't do electric, disposable razors or shaving brushes???

crikey
    Free Member

My barber, that sounds like I've gota personal one… insists that the latest 5 blade Fusion gives him the best shave he has ever had.

I use a 2 blade Gilette G2, have done for years, and always get a decent shave, as long as the wife hasn't been sorting out her lady garden with it.

Getting the hair wet and soft is the key; using shampoo on my face in the shower seems to work well…

Edit; I shave 7-8-9 times a week too!

freddyg
    Free Member

The 5-Blade fusion gave me the best shave too. However cost was a problem, I could use a blade twice (compared to the mach3 – five times) and it cost twice as much to buy, therefore about 5x more expensive in reality.

I'm back to the mach3 now but looking for an alternative.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Got very bored of expensive razor refills so tried a bit of retro shaving. That was about 18 months ago and not gone back, I give you….. the Wilkinson Sword Classic available in many good stores.
    Keep thinking I will treat myself to a posh safety razor one day, but, well, it just works.
    EDIT- I do use a brush (cheap Wilkinson Sword one and soap, cheap Wil… you get the picture) but don't shave weekends and longer breaks on holidays without fuss.

SaxonRider

I rotate, as I find that if I stick with one, particular type for more than a few months, I start to suffer for it. Basically, I start with Mach 3 and work down through the 'Machs' until I get to an old Gilette two-blader.

But it's probably psychological.

oddjob
    Free Member

I love the fusion, but I manage to use it about 10 times between blade changes. I also bulk buy the blades when I am in costco (in the US)

peajay

Merkur Future for me, best shave I've ever had, takes some effort but worth it.
    PJ.

allyharp

I read in the paper this week that Asda have started a price war by reducing all Gilette blades to £5 a pack.

langy
    Free Member

Grow a beard – trim with scissors. Much cheaper.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Merkur … for me

Me too.

Expensive razor but the blades are cheap compared to the latest multi-blade gillette. Better shave too.

A pleasure to use.

BlobOnAStick

+1 for Merkur Futur (but stick with cheepo boots/tesco etc own brand double edge blades at about £2.50 for 10, which should last you about 3 months. It'll pay for itsself within 12 months I reckon……)

LsD
    Free Member

Merkur fer me to- and Timothy Edwards also gets my recommendation. I tend to look in independant chemists, ye often find they do blade packs cheap- buy a job lot!

jond
    Free Member

Bog simple safety razor – it's the only thing that cuts into sideburns and around the (long) goatee/beard I've got, unless the last shave was within the last few days.
    I was using my father's razor 'til the thread gave up last year (probably about 50 yrs old or more).
    I picked up up an adjustable 60's thing off fleabay, but tbh I spend all my time trying to keep it set to the same blade angle as my father's, anyway.

Did think about one of the Merkurs…then again, if I thought I could manage to strop a cutthroat without buggering up the blade I could be tempted…

Don't normally faff with special soap – just use washing soap a few times to soften it, that seems to do the trick – or the foam stuff if I'm in a hurry.

ex-pat
    Free Member

I use clippers on my head (grade2) then flick off the grade doobry thing off and clip my face.
    I get the old man / homeless stubble look for that, with the enhanced grey stubble too.

CHB

I really like wilkinson sword quattro platinum. Much better than any of the Gillette products with 4 or 5 blades.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

Merkur Futur

Merkur for me, had one for about 3 years, shave about 4 times per week, once you get used to it nothing is better, a real razor, nice badger brush and some decent shaving cream will beat any mach (insert ridiculous number here)the quality of the single blades is much higher that the titanium edged multi blade (it they are so **** sharp why the need for multiple blades?)

Mine has paid for itself over and over, a few tips though, do not think you can use this like a mach bollocks, you can't your head will be severed from your neck and you will die, due to the sharpness of the blades, you will need to learn to shave properly and take your time, once you get use to it they are the best

Big plus point that no one has mentioned, if your Wife\Missus borrows the Merkur, you will know, as she will probably sever her leg trying to use it, she will only borrow it the once

nedrapier

Try the King of shaves "Azor", It's very light, which some people think makes it feel cheap.

But it is cheap. And I think the blades last a bit longer too. Shaves at least as well as anything else I've tried. I've not tried the Mach5, though. It seemed like an expensive hobby to get into.

This is still one of my favourite articles from The Onion.

F*@k Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

Written well before the Mach 5, too.

xcgb
    Free Member

OK I have only used leccy shavers and the odd disposable, now my phillips blades are gettin worn and to replace them, is about £33 !!

it seems to be taking longer all the time especially with my craggy face

now do I MTFU and start to shave like a man – is it generally quicker and do you use foams or soaps?

Advice/experiences please

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

King of Shaves "azor" here to

takisawa2

I've been using the Aldi (Mach3 copy) razor now for a year or two.
    Works well & more importantly the blades are £2 for 4.

And while your at it go over to using the Body-Shop shaving cream.

I'm getting about 10 months out of a £6 pot. What's the Gillete stuff cost these days…£4 a go every 3 weeks ?
    Eff that.

montylikesbeer

Cheap and does the job, been using them for ages, stuff all that £9.00 + extra expense nonsense

aldi razor

grahamb
    Free Member

I got one of those King of Shave things when my supply of GII+ blades finally ran out. The supermarket had it on special offer. It's the worst razor i've ever used. It's way too big & i hate the flexy head. I can't do at the base of my nose & the sides of my mouth without practising gurning. Needless to say I won't be buying any replacement blades for it.

Sorry nedrapier 😉

Sounds like i should look at getting one of those Merkur's

slowjo
    Free Member

+1 for the Body Shop goo, more lie 3 months but still good vfm.

Somewhere above someone said they use a Mach 3 but only get a handful of use out of each blade. I shave every day and a Mach 3 blade lasts me maybe 3 weeks before it starts to get draggy/notchy. Either you are doing something wrong or it is my old roadies tendencies coming out (e.g. "I bought brake blocks in 1978 and they have worn out already" sort of thing).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Merkur here (although I'm using a HD 34C – a lot cheaper than the Futur)

Blades last ages (a couple of months) and it does give a really good shave – better than my old Gilette. You do need to be *very* careful with new blades though as you can peel your face without realising quite easily.

GTDave
    Free Member

Gone from a Mach 3 to a Fusion, then to an electric Philishave one.
    Went back to the Mach 3, and now to a Parker safety razor.
    Difference is amazing. Took a while to adjust shaving technique to using one, but well worth it. No more redness, shaving rash etc etc.

http://www.shaving-shack.com/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me ……… a razor!’ is closed to new replies.