• This topic has 36 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend me a motah – £6k
  • Stuey01
    Free Member

It’s for me and my wife. No kids. 10k miles a year.
    She really wants a new shape Audi TT 2.0TFSI, but she is not sure about spending the money that would be required to get a good low mileage one (c£15k).
    My objective here is to draw up a shortlist of fun, relatively practical alternatives for a much lower budget, so she can pick one of them or make up her mind to splash out and get the TT.

In terms of practicality it must be able to seat 2 adults with a weekend’s worth of luggage and a set of golf clubs. Bikes will go in the other car(Focus ST170 when needed.

Requirements:
    – Up to £6k to spend.
    – Fun
    – Don’t want something that has done mega miles
    – not slow, but not mega fast
    – Not a massive barge(i.e mondeo, passat etc)
    – Relatively economical
    – Not a pretend 4×4 crossover thing (or a real 4×4 for that matter)
    – My wife must like the way it looks (this will be the first filter on the list I draw up)

There is a bewildering array of cars available at this sort of price from a previous gen BMW 3 series to a relatively new ford fiesta, mazda mx5, Fiat Panda 100HP (I quite fancy one of these…) or another ST170… all sorts.

What would you buy?

Stuey01
    Free Member

Bugger, wrong forum… Can a Mod move it please?

5lab

rx8 would tick all the boxes other than ‘relatively economical’

you’ll get a 350z for that money

mini cooper s?

titusrider
    Free Member

take a look at the top gear £6K second hand episode?

As an alfa fan:
    GTV Cup
    147GTA
    Early Brera

will all put smiles on your face
    (3L V6 of course !)

rickon
    Free Member

As above, my mate just this week picked up an RX-8, 238bhp. Looks nice, it’s done 12k miles and he got it for under £7k. Full leather interior, mint condition.

The 350Z is a bit of a lads car though, isn’t it? Not really one for the ladies…

What about an MX-5?

Stuey01
    Free Member

The missus doesn’t like the 350z, nice suggestion though (I do like it!)
    The RX8 fails the “my wife must like the looks” test as well as the economy test.

Alfa Romeo… mmmmmm. Good shout, not sure about the V6 though, thirsty.

Stuey01
    Free Member

MX5 is definitely going on the shortlist.

luke
    Free Member

Boxster

rickon
    Free Member

Alfa…. I hope you’ve got a shed full of spanners.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Honda S2000

flange
    Free Member

There is bugger all room for pretty much anything in the back of a 350z, theres a comedy sticker on the inside of the boot lid that tells you how to get a set of golf clubs in it. Good car though.

How about a Mk5 Golf GTI? Room for bikes too then. Older Civic Type-R, Focus ST (not great on fuel mind),MX-5, Astra VXR, Mk1 TT.

I think a BMW for that sort of money might be a bit dull (M3 aside but you’re looking at a ropey E46 for that sort of money). Similarly Merc (maybe an SLK?) and Audi bar the TT. You could get an older shape S3 but they do take a bit of looking after and Audi parts aren’t cheap.

was
    Free Member

E46 M3 achingly good value. I have a 350Z and am looking to get one of these for better practicality early next year.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3123787.htm

I had a Mk1 TT 225 which is not such a good sports car but I do miss it (not the hairdresser jibes). It was a great mix of practicality and it went well (even with bikes on the roof).

Stuey01
    Free Member

M3 and the like a bit faster than I was looking for, thinking more long the lines of a 325 or 330 coupe – better example for the same money and not M3 insurance.

The Mk1 TT is out, she won’t go for that.

Mk5 Golf Gti is a great shout – I’m trying to sell her on this one on the basis that it is the same engine and gearbox as the TT, she inexplicably has decided that the Golf is ugly though, which is crazy. The Seat Leon with the 2.0 TFSI engine might be an option though.

Any recommendations at the smaller slower end of the scale? Fiesta zetec, panda 100HP, clio, polo?

I really like the look of the new Polo GTI 1.4TFSI – 180bhp and 47mpg combined cycle, great looking too – but they are still going for mk2 TT money as they are so new.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Fiat 100HP is a good shout. I’m trying to persuade my mum to get one so I can drive it 🙂

Suzuki Swift Sport also worth looking at, we owned one and it was good… but given the choice again I’d go for the Panda. The Swift was expensive to run for what it was.

Renaultsport Megane 225 Cup or maybe the R26 230 if the budget allows. Both very capable and lots of fun.

dingabell
    Free Member

Subaru Impreza WRX Sportwagon. Loads of room. Quite quick, and if you shop around, not too bad on insurance. £5k should get you a decent one.

freeagent
    Free Member

BMW 1-series? early 2-door versions should be in budget..
    Golf would be a good shout, as would a sporty Seat Leon.

German stuff will be dearer but should hold its value, Jap stuff is boring but sensible and reliable…

pottsathome
    Free Member

I ve got a new Leon fr tdi it’s 220 horse as it’s mapped. Had an Audi a3 before thus and hated it. Golf gti before that and loved it more than my bike. Oh hate the Leon by the way so don’t buy one unless you want mine

anto164
    Free Member

Integra Type R

jonk

Clio 197

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Integra Type R

I would have said that, but I bet his wife won’t like the way it looks. Best car I’ve ever owned, but not met a women who likes the way it looks.

br
    Free Member

BMW 6 Series – might get an early 645i for £6k now…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Know where theres a mint e46 330d msport 😀
    40+ to the gallon and 225 bhp

simon_g

Another hot hatch seems a bit silly if you have a ST170 already.

I’d probably go for an Alfa GT that ticks all your boxes – could get a V6 (last of the Alfas to use the classic Arese V6s, polished intakes and all) well within budget. They’re not that bad on fuel, and despite the shape are a hatchback with folding seats.

eg. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201146428580418/

Else there are plenty of 2.0 JTS ones about too with 165bhp rather than 240, but don’t sound as nice.

Hadge
    Free Member

I had an E46 330i M Sport Coupe and could recommend one whole heartedly. Loads of room, very well equipped and plenty of performance too. Funnily enough I’m sort of mulling a new motor now in that price range and might go down the WRX route as I’ve always fancied one.

mboy
    Free Member

M3 and the like a bit faster than I was looking for, thinking more long the lines of a 325 or 330 coupe – better example for the same money and not M3 insurance.

For what you’re after, sounds like a Z4 would be a better bet. Combines probably the best bits from the 3 series with many of the attributes of an MX5, and if you look hard enough, you can find decent condition 6 year old cars with relatively low miles for around £6k… I’d be after a 3 litre manual car myself, but these seemingly fetch a slight premium, so if you were happy enough with a 2.2 or a 2.5 litre engine, then it seems there’s plenty of good cars out there for your budget.

Probably a lot more engaging drive than a TT too…

M6TTF
    Free Member

The Seat Leon with the 2.0 TFSI engine might be an option though.

I have a Leon FR with the DSG box. Virtually identical performance, but cheaper to buy and it was over a hundred quid cheaper to insure than the golf – 3 ins groups less. Interior not as good as the golf though

Stuey01
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Shortlist:
    mk5 Golf 1.4TFSI (170BHP version)
    mk5 Golf GTI
    Leon FR
    Leon 1.4TFSI (170BHP version)
    Alfa GT
    Maxda MX5
    Fiat Panda 100hp
    BMW 3 series coupe
    New shape Fiesta Zetec Titanium (slow sensible option)

The Leon and the Golf are, as I understand it, the same car in a different set of clothes. I’d prefer the VW but she prefers the shape of the Leon.

I think the panda is a no go for her, but I’ll keep it on the list cos I really fancy one and I think in many ways it is exactly the right car.

I like the z4 coupe but it’s out of price range.

timmys

S2000

Someone else posted it but it really should be on the list of you’re also considering an MX5 (IMHO).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Combines probably the best bits from the 3 series with many of the attributes of an MX5”

An MX5 way out handles a Z4.

To be honest all the fwd cars are very samey on that list compared to your Focus and will offer a similardrive.

I’d go rwd for some thing different. The MX5 will give you a true sports car experience, the BM some thing a bit more grown up but still more involving the any of the fwd’s

Oh and yes put the s2000 on the list, personally I couldnt live with the high revving engine to get the performance

5lab

I don’t think you’d get golf clubs and a weekends luggage in an mx5. You might get the clubs on the parcel shelf though (which would then make it fit)

any reason the mini and fiat 500’s not on there? seem to be the default choice for a ‘fun’ ladies car..

Stuey01
    Free Member

The Mini and Fiat 500 aren’t on there on the basis of their looks, she just doesn’t like them, simple as that. I suggested them previously.
    S2000, ditto, and the high reving engine isn’t doing it for me either.

It’s frustrating isn’t it, having perfectly good and suitable cars ruled out on a cursory glance at them. But it’s going to be her car, not mine, so she can choose it on whatever basis she likes.

I think she’ll rule out the MX5 for being a rag top, but I’m going to get her to drive one because they are supposed to be so good.

I’m not too worried if what we end up with is similar to the Focus, we like the Focus. I’m even toying with another, lower mileage ST170!

5lab

for that money you should be into mx5 with folding hard-top range, which may suit more than a soft top?

crysler crossfire is very cheap – £6k will get you a 5 year old example with 40k on the clock – in either coupe or convertible form. ‘Interesting’ looks, and more of a GT than an out-and-out sports car (which seemed to be why it got reviewed less well than its contemporaries), but it sounds like that might suit your OH.

Stuey01
    Free Member

You’re right 5Lab – fast and furious out and out sportscar is not really what is needed. GT type or warm/hot hatch would do very nicely indeed.
    I’ll show her the Crossfire coupe, it’s based on the Merc SLK iirc.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Show her them in a different colour 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“for that money you should be into mx5 with folding hard-top range, which may suit more than a soft top?”

IMO the soft top is better than the folding hard top, its a very good quality hood on the Mk3 and much simplar and easier to put up and down the the electronic version. ie one clip throw and its down, pull up and clip and its back. All electronic things you are waiting 20 or so seconds for them to go up and down. Soft top was fine up or down at 120mph 🙂

Every review I ever read on the Crossfire said it was a big pile of poo..

stumpy01

Yeah, Crossfire is based on the original SLK.

How about the previous gen Fiesta ST – 150bhp – I think it’s a 2L petrol. Warm, rather than hot and perhaps not that economic given it’s diminutive size.

I notice you have a Leon on your list.
    How about the Ibiza? You could get an Ibiza Cupra for that money, either petrol or diesel. Diesel is 160bhp 1.9TDi and it pretty quick – 0-60 in 7.5 or thereabouts, petrol is the 1.8T (same as in first gen lower powered TT) so puts out 180bhp.

Also available in normal colours.

If they are too fruity, they also do the FR which is ‘only’ 150bhp for petrol or 130bhp for the diesel.

Only bad things about mine are the styling of the dash looks a bit dated now (although the facelifted ones are OK) and the ride is quite crashy.

5lab

yeah its the ‘old shape’ slk in drag. a mate of mine has the srt version (which I think would be out of your price range) which is highly rapid.

volvo c30?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a motah – £6k’ is closed to new replies.