Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Recommend me a Good Malt Whiskey For Dad
  • pendlechris
    Free Member

My dad has requested a good malt whiskey for christmas, but not Glenfidich,as he has loads of this, so come on you whiskey drinkers what would you recommend

warton
    Free Member

AncNoc, got a bottle of this for my birthday, its stunning.

ourmaninthenorth

May I be the first to give you the usual STW response:

Whisky = Scottish
    Whiskey = Irish

Anyway, enough of that nonsense. I am not an expert, but I know I like Talisker, some Ardbegs, Isle of Jura and the occasional Laphroaig.

andywarner
    Free Member

I really like Macallan. Depends if he likes em peaty and smoky or not. Macallan's really smooth and butterscotch-y.

hughjengin
    Free Member

If it doesnt have to be Scotch, then may I recommend Penderryn, which is a welsh whiskey, its not cheap mind but its a real nice one, for a discerning whisky lover

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

What about a bottle of the new English one that was on the news? – it'll have novelty value if retained.

AgentOrange
    Free Member

Ardbeg Renaissance – Will leave you change from £50.00. Just Fantastic !

Or a nice Benromach for under £30.00 – I just live up the road from this distillery, plus they sponsor the '3 Tens' MTB Race Series – And everyone who enters gets a free minature bottle 😯

StuF

+1 for Ardbeg
    or Cael Ila
    lagavulin
    of any of the Islay malts

kamina
    Free Member

Laphroig Quarter Cask
    Ardberg
    Lagavulin

poppa
    Free Member

I like Talisker. Slightly smokey and iodiney.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If he likes smoky – Ardbeg/Talisker

If you're not sure, Macallan

Something around £50/18yo should be excellent

NikNak7890
    Free Member

+4 for Ardbeg 😉

Gordy
    Free Member

Assuming he's got a lot of Glenfiddich because that's what he likes, I'd ignore suggestions like Ardbeg and Talisker. They're great but he might hate them. :O)

Macallan was a fair shout. Aberlour, Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Glenlivet are others that might do.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Bushmills

mildred
    yamyambiker
    Free Member

Bowmore is nice and you can't go wrong with Glenmorangie, least not in my opinion.

fwb2006
    Free Member

HA HA HA, Penderyn. I would rather drinks tramps pi55 than that shite, and I can say that as I'm a taff but live in Jockland.

Scapa 16 year old, job done.

bentos
    Free Member

If you dont want to spend loads then one of the best whisky's you can buy is a 15yr old Dalwhinnie (on sale for £25 in Morrisons).

For something nearer the £50 mark (and presuming your dad likes smokey whisky) I would go towards an Ardberg Renaissance as previously recommended or a Talisker 57 degrees North. Both are superb quality, great value and fairly unusual.

Gordy
    Free Member

> Bowmore is nice and you can't go wrong with Glenmorangie, least not in my opinion.

I'd second that. Or +1, as they say.

Vortexracing

2nd the Dalwhinnie here, very smooth

simonm
    Free Member

Glengoyne is nice, very light and different as the barley is dried by air, rather than Peat smoke.. it really is a nice drink. 10 or 17 Yo are good, Or go all out and take the just relased 40 YO thats £3,750 a bottle – you can buy it online though !

messiah
    Free Member

It's Christmas – go for Benrinnes 15 or Mortlach 16 for that big sherry Christmas cake hit.

peteimpreza

My favourites are :-

Isle of Jura

The Dowmore.

heihei

-1 for Ardbeg, really don't like it, but then with the exception of Bowmore Darkest I'm not a fan of Islays.

Macallan is always a safe bet – loads of different ages to suit budgets too.
    For special occaision presents, the whisky shop does some of it's own bottling which can be interesting.
    I'm also a fan of stuff matured in different casks (sherry, burgundy etc). May not suit a purist but can impart something different.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

What's Dalwhinnie (sp?) like?

I've got a bottle of it unopened that I bought for myself for Christmas. I'd be interested to read the STW experts' opinions of it before I drink it.

AndyP
    Free Member

nice. very light and mellow though

carlosg
    Free Member

https://www.lfw.co.uk/diageo/flavourmap.html

have a look at the flavour map and choose something different to his norm from the same area.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Any Ardbeg or if not sure about the peaty ones try Springbank, a really ace Campbelltown whisky or Longrow which is a slightly peated whisky distilled by Springbank.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tesco have Highland Park 18yo for £54

That won world spirit of the year a few years back.

poppa
    Free Member

Or The Peat Monster if you like value for money. You will still taste it the next morning.

tony_m
    Free Member

All my usual recommendations have already been mentioned, so consider this a "plus 1" for…

Ardbeg 10y-o
    Dalwhinnie 15y-o
    Highland Park 12y-o
    Springbank 10y-o
    Talisker 10y-o

deluded
    Free Member

the 'Peat Monster' – Smokey.

Garry_Lager

Dalwhinnie is too bit subtle for me, Dorset_Knob – one for the experienced imbibers IMO.
    I've not been drinking whisky long, and right now I'm only interested in big phenolic, sledgehammer to the palate, type malts. I expect this will mellow with age. Ardbeg is the king here, although I'm drinking a Lagavulin 16yo at the mo – £29 from Costco and a class malt. Actually not that overpowering in terms of peatyness. My wife takes the occasional glass and she can't stand excessively smoky whisky.

RepacK
    Free Member
    Richyb
    Free Member

Mmmm Talisker

Underhill
    Free Member

Bushmills 18yo. Fantastically smooth.

inbred853

Old Poultney, any age
    Scapa
    Highland Park
    Slightly biased as I'm from the area , and prefer a smoother taste to the Islay mafia.

montylikesbeer

Isle of Jura Prophecy

Its a minter

link to heaven

adstick
    Free Member

Plus one for springbank. It's unlikely that he won't like it and it's unusual.

Don't buy the welsh one! Expensive and pretty poor.

If you can find a Japanese whisky they're worth a go, normally speyside in style with a bit of sweetness.

adstick
    Free Member

I'd avoid the islays unless you know he likes them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Good Malt Whiskey For Dad’ is closed to new replies.