Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Recommend me a FUN but simple bike – a true smile machine
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

mrhoppy

How are you finding the stooge at 6ft

what length stem are you running? / are you running a layback?

Love SS but want to run some gears on this build

Keep those ideas flowing peeps. Remember FUN is the name of the game

olibluegoat
    Free Member

The torrent does look bloody fun. Can you buy its as frame only?

How does 27.5 plus ride in the winter mud?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Anyone got the Fuze

Seems everyone is recommending a 27.5 plus. So is that the way to go peeps

Must admit i do fancy giving one a go

mrhoppy

olibluegoat – Member
    mrhoppy
    How are you finding the stooge at 6ft
    what length stem are you running? / are you running a layback?

70mm stem and an on one twelfty post so only slight layback, ebb in lowest setting. Comfy for 7hr days like that but it stays put as that for everything. Carbon forks are good though.

mrhoppy

If you’re around Shropshire then you can have a ride on it if you want.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Ok. I think its going to have to be a 27.5 plus hardtail

Think the shortlist is either:

Marin Pinemountain 1
    Oreba Loki
    Stooge
    Norco Torrent

Anyone ridden the Loki on flatter terrain? Still fun?

beefheart
    Free Member

+1 for the Fatty Trail

It’s the only bike I’ve ridden for the past 3 weeks, and loving it.

Bregante

If you’re looking at 27.5 plus the yet to be released Sonder Transmitter may be worth waiting for.

… but of course a fat bike is the correct answer 😀

hora
    Free Member

Tick

rOcKeTdOg

Anyone ridden the Loki on flatter terrain? Still fun?

Ridden one around a car park, that was flat, was a giggle

Duffer
    Free Member

A £1200 inbred!!!??? Shirley you mean £120….

Well the frame was £99, so a £120 build would have been tight!

The wheels were the most expensive part; Hope trials built on Velocity P35s by some chap in Swannage called Charlie. All the other Hope stuff was ordered at the LBS.

Lionheart
    Free Member

My old mk1 Soul was the most fun bike I owned so I concur with above. My smile bike now is an On One SS with 130mm on the front and 2.4 tyres. Runs like a grown up bmx. Not my most capable, fastest or smothest to ride but easy to grab, use, maintain and always a laugh. Cost me 180 to put it together as well so win alround.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee. 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

£150 on their website – unless there is a trick you’d share?

the GET AN EXTRA 40% OFF that’s been emblazoned across the site and the subject of PSA threads in the last few weeks? 😉

Code is PXPPP40, expires 31/3, and it’s not much of a trick, sorry! Makes the Floater tyres about 15 quid a piece too.

km79
    Free Member

Now that’s a true smile machine.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’m swaying most to the Stooge. Just looks simple and fun

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Loving my stache 5….I wanted a pine mountain 1, but 5 months ago when I had my cycle to work voucher stinging my sweaty paws, I couldn’t get one….the stache was dearer, but I honestly have no regrets.

doug_basqueMTB.com

A few people have already mentioned the Orbea Loki but it´s this for me. I´ve been testing it for the last couple of months and am loving it. I´ve actually just done something I´ve never done before and asked if I can buy it at the end of the test period. It´s simple and is great fun. I´ve been using it pretty much all the time over winter. I love how stable it is and the geometry is fantastic. But there´s no suspension, no carbon and feels indestructible. Pure simple fun!

I don´t have any photos of the bike where you can see it well at the moment. This trail is up and down, not flat, but the bike feels fun. It climbs great, partly due to the traction the wheels generate, and it´s only on the road where you feel the drag but even then it´s not as bad as I thought it would be.

Cheezpleez

Just get a Stooge. I guarantee you won’t regret it.

pictonroad

Rigid single speed, loads around, pick one you can afford. I’ve got the cannondale trail 29 SS and its bloomin marvellous.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Stooge or Loki. The Loki does look bloody good

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Kona Humuhumu?

Nearly bought last year’s model for £304 from Wiggle in their January sale, with intention of replacing the mechanical disc brakes.

jekkyl

A few folks suggesting a singlespeed adds to your enjoyment by having much less to maintain. For this I can really see the appeal of the SS but I feel my enjoyment would be limited because I couldn’t go as fast on the flat/downhill as you could on a geared bike.

Northwind

Fatbike here too. Reason being 1) it’s awesome, and 2), it’s really really different to your current bike. There’s lots of awesome bikes but nothing else is more different, while still being fit for purpose, IMO.

Only bummer is, 4.8 tyres don’t fit on most uplift trailers (Oh OK also, good fatbike tyres cost a fortune)

The Orbea looks mint though, love that Marin too…

sillyoldman

Stache, Loki or Tarn.

epicyclo

Try something different.

A SS Pompino with cx tyres. It’s impossible not to have fun on one of them.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Dont really want a single speed

Anyone got an orange crush?

The on one fat bike does look a good laugh

olly2097
    Free Member

Bizango. Cheap. Always fun.

jonwe
    Free Member

The reason all us rigid single speed merchants keep banging on about how good they are is because they are mighty good fun, minimal mainenance even in the current filth, get fit quick, just as quick downhill if you let the brakes go, climbing goats. And if you go 26″ you’ll pick up a frame and all the bits second hand on here for next to nowt. My recommendation is dialled love/hate.

busta
    Free Member

Charge cooker 1 (or cooker 0, or 2,3,4,5….)

kayla1
    Free Member

BMX or a small 26″ hardtail 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a FUN but simple bike – a true smile machine’ is closed to new replies.