Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • Recommend me a first motorbike
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Juan is a paid up member of the single-cylinder taliban.

Singles really are pretty grim. A twin is the minium for civilised motoring, just. A four is preferable.

juan
    Free Member

Not compared to anything that came before them. Hence the reputation.

The world has moved on though.

You got to be joking right… From the top of my head stuff that steer better than a bandit looks better and actually work better :
    SRX 600
    NSR 400
    900 SSie
    RT90
    norton commando 750
    triumph thruxton

and the list goes on

juan
    Free Member

Singles really are pretty grim. A twin is the minium for civilised motoring, just. A four is preferable.

now where is my pmlotf smiley. A four that’s only good for people riding square tires on motorways.

Northwind

SV, I’m retired now :mrgreen: Think I’m about to SORN the stripy green one, only rode it 3 times thins year. Damn you mountain bikes!

5thElefant
    Free Member

SRX 600
    NSR 400
    900 SSie
    RT90
    norton commando 750
    triumph thruxton

srx 600 is a single. Singles are awful.
    NSR 400 was an exotic two stroke triple built for midgets. Not awful, but useless.
    The 900SS has Italian electricty. Not awful but more of a hobby than a motorbike.
    Norton? 😆
    Triumph? 😆

Edit: Missed one – RT90, is that the weird BMW that nearly put them out of business? Jesus H Christ.

juan
    Free Member

HA HA HA HA you need to do something else than just sit watching your bike or taking it along the M4. Single are god sent. There is nothing that will be as enjoyable as single once the road start to turn (you now the opposite of straight lines 😉 ).
    I have tried many bike, and the bandit 1200 was the worst. Yeah is was good going straight but you couldn’t steer it for shite. Even if your life was depending on it.

donsimon
    Free Member

The poor sod’s gone from a 125cc to get used to riding to a 900cc in only 4 hours.
    I think a Hayabusa, GSXR750, Fireblade or even a Goldwing might fit the bill perfectly. 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

The bandit 1200 is the height of motorcycle design. Big engine. Wheel at each end. The ultimate B-road bike. 🙂

I’ve got one. And a 1000cc twin. And 4 singles – but they’re all crap on the road (not enough cylinders).

Singles don’t go fast enough to encounter corners. They do make your vison go blurred giving the illusion of speed though.

Kato

Singles are lots of fun, I’ve just got rid of one and only have Hornet now. Whilst it’s more civilised, I kinda miss the huge engine braking and the SLAP SLAP BANG BANG noise that set car alarms off

epicsteve
    Free Member

Having never ridden a motorbike before (but mountain bikes and road bikes all my life, car licence from 17), how challenging is passing via a direct access course.

Passing the test is probably easier on a 500cc than on a 125.

Stay away from the Bandit 600s unless they’re absolutely dirt cheap, they were always inexplicably well regarded for such heavy, flexy, poorly suspended, underpowered slugs.

I had one and it was horrible. It didn’t handle well and while a bit quicker in a straight line than the Deauville I had at the same time it was slower in real world performance. I sold the Bandit after a couple of months and bought a CBR600 instead, which I still have 10-years later.

srx 600 is a single. Singles are awful.

My lovely XBR500 would beg to differ!

Mog
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    The poor sod’s gone from a 125cc to get used to riding to a 900cc in only 4 hours.
    I think a Hayabusa, GSXR750, Fireblade or even a Goldwing might fit the bill perfectly.

Exactly why I was looking to stay with a 125 for a little while!! I only ever envisaged going up to 400 anyway!

Shame about the Bandits as I quite fancied one, purely from looks.

I’m still trying to catch up on googling all the suggestions – this is a new language to me.

juan
    Free Member

Singles don’t go fast enough to encounter corners

At least they manage to get around it not like the inline 4 that need power to compensate the fact that they can’t be tipped over.

5thElefant
    Free Member

400s don’t really exist as a market in the UK. 600s are the norm, so the choice is bigger and the price lower.

The bandit 600 is ancient history now. Hornets, Fazers or the Versys are probably where to start looking.

5thElefant
    Free Member

At least they manage to get around it not like the inline 4 that need power to compensate the fact that they can’t be tipped over.

You need to have a word with Jeremy Burgess. The 2012 Ducati isn’t set in stone yet. Maybe Valentino can storm to victory on an awesome single. 😀

juan
    Free Member

Yeah see you admit it the most awsome bike ever made was the super mono you’ve implied it with your own words (kinda).
    Plus track are for pansies. Real men ride thumpers around cols 😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

Shame about the Bandits as I quite fancied one, purely from looks.

The little 400 Bandits are actually quite good – I’ve had two. There are uk spec and import bikes but both are decent. Not that fast but it’s fun reving the nuts off them and they handle quite well.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The super mono was a twin. They just took the spark plugs out of the top cylinder.

juan
    Free Member

The super mono was a twin.

nope it was half a twin hence the name M O N O 😀
    Anyway I have one in the garage that need rebuilding 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Really? Very cool. I’ve only seen one.

It’s still a twin. “Double con-rod balance system” my arse.

EDIT: From owning ducatis… you’ll need a multimeter, soldering iron and 100m of wire.

juan
    Free Member

no i mean I have a mono in the garage, do I look like I am as loaded as stoner or what… Tomorrow is the day when the awesomeness of the mono will sing again
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (if I can find petrol that’s it) (and if I haven’t cocked up the rebuilding that it too)

juan
    Free Member

EDIT: From owning ducatiskawas… you’ll need a multimeter, soldering iron and 100m of wire.

Fixed that for you…

epicsteve
    Free Member

EDIT: From owning ducatis… you’ll need a multimeter, soldering iron and 100m of wire.

An AA membership would also come in handy.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My thumper:

Lovely little thing it is, as long as you stick to twisty roads. It’s properly hateful on the motorway (although that might be ’cause I’m more used to faired bikes).

5thElefant
    Free Member

no i mean I have a mono in the garage, do I look like I am as loaded as stoner or what…

I’m disappointed. But at least a single is easier to fix than a twin (with a missing spark plug).

Tomorrow is the day when the awesomeness of the mono will sing again

Cool.

They do sound good. Even if they’re crap.

br
    Free Member

Guys lets refocus on what the poster is asking for; a bike for an 80 mile commute.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Lovely little thing it is, as long as you stick to twisty roads. It’s properly hateful on the motorway (although that might be ’cause I’m more used to faired bikes).

I bought a dominator fairly recently (same engine I think). I was drunk, the wife was away – these things happen.

I would have kept it if I had the space.

Guys lets refocus on what the poster is asking for; a bike for an 80 mile commute.

It’s been done to death but… how about a…

Dominator?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Honda Deauville. Cheap(ish) to run, comfortable, reliable, shaft drive, good weather protection. Not the most exciting bike on the planet but it was built to do a particular job very well – and an 80 mile commute is that job. This was mine (and no doubt it’s still going strong under new ownership):

Mog
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

I no longer understand what Juan and 5th are talking about.

Plenty of food for thought though.

Cheers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I no longer understand what Juan and 5th are talking about.

I wouldn’t worry 😉

Northwind

epicsteve – Member

Honda Deauville

They are superb- 2 wheeled cars. But are they available at this price range? I looked for one a couple of years ago and there was nothing under a grand that I’d have touched with a 10 foot pole.

epicsteve
    Free Member

First ones are ’98 so there should be some half-decent ones for a grandish. I bought mine for £4500 in ’99 and was pleasantly surprised when I got £1500 for it as a trade in 10 years later, so they do hold their value quite well.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There’s a few on ebay around the £1500 mark (BIN/classifieds) at the moment.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had a look on Autotrader as well and it does look like £1500 is still the bottom end. Looks like you could buy one for that, run it for a year and then get your money back on it.

martinxyz
    Free Member

kawasaki v`s Ducati electrics.Hmmm. Ive read things about Ducati electrics but never Kawasaki probs.Few winters of salt and 20 thousand miles now and never a glitch.Starts first time,everytime.The zx9r E1 i have was NOT built on a friday afternoon. :O)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hi Juan – long time since I saw you post on here! Anyhow, could everybody stop slagging Bandits off, I got one (a 600) when I first passed my test, and I loved it to bits. Having said that, I had nothing to compare it to really, but I do have very fond memories of it. Then again, I’m the last person to give advice, my current bike’s a Harley, the last one was a Buell, and the one before that was another Harley… 🙄

finmac
    Free Member

Go direct access then the worlds your oyster. TBH its a bit like asking, “I’m a noob, which mountain bike should I get?” It’s a personal thing and everyones advice will differ as to their tastes and experience or lack of..…do some research, read some mags, read reviews etc…..is it purely functional or do you want it to look good too? Purely commuting or will you fancy a blast at weekends too…… which you will. Direct access will open up pretty much anything you like, a good reliable Jap middleweight will see you OK mate and be reselleable easy too. Suzuki SV650, Honda CBR 600 is a mega tool….can do anything, millions to choose from and bulletproof. Honda CB500 or 600 Hornet, cheap and reliable, Kwak GPZ 500. Suzuki Bandit 600 or GS500. The list is long and £1500 will buy you a lot of bike for your money if you use If it wisely and do some reading. If it was me (and I’m using hindsight here), I’d go 500-600cc commuter or all rounder and deffo japanese. You could even get an 80s or early 90s sportsbike for that kinda dough. Stay away from smaller italian or chinese 125s and 250s……harder to resell and not as trustworthy, the japs have the lions share of sales for a reason. Oh, be prepared to have a HUGE amount of fun too, whatever you choose.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m just a noob so ignore me if this is silly but if it’s such a long commute every day, isn’t the important thing to get something with a fairing and a 12v supply so that you use toasty gloves/jackets? 40 miles each way in November rain, brr!

TheFlyingOx

Lot of people getting carried away with spending OP’s cash on money pit bikes.

80 mile commute, £1500 budget, first bike. I’d go with a Kawasaki ZZR600. Nice and cheap, comfortable, fast enough, bomb-proof, won’t matter if you drop it, and most importantly it has some semblance of a fairing for that commute.

konabunny
    Free Member

Googled for photos of the ZZR600. Apparently they’re good for riding in your kitchen.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d go with a Kawasaki ZZR600. Nice and cheap, comfortable, fast enough, bomb-proof,

Hardly bombproof, mine was nicked and then returned which a comprehensively blown engine. 😥 Nice bikes all the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a first motorbike’ is closed to new replies.