Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • recommend me a cheap tablet….
  • alfabus
    Free Member

…that I can stick on a cupboard/fridge in the kitchen, have plugged in all the time, and use as a calendar/recipe display.

Got an ipad, so not averse to apple products, but I’m thinking more along the £30 lines here, so android seems more likely. Good google integration wouldn’t hurt either, since that is where our calendars live.

Dave

headfirst
    Free Member

Got an ipad

buy a bit of clear plastic, and job’s a good’un

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Paracetomol are pretty cheap 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

headfirst – Member
    > Got an ipad
    buy a bit of clear plastic, and job’s a good’un

I want to use the ipad as an ipad elsewhere… I want something additional that is fixed down in the kitchen, rather than <first world problem>having to go and get the ipad or get my phone out when I want to glance at the calendar</fwp>

Dave

bruneep

3 for the price of 1?

alfabus
    Free Member

Where are all the fan’droids, are they hiding because I mentioned the fruity slab?

Someone must have a cheapy tablet they can recommend.

Dave

patriotpro
    Free Member

but I’m thinking more along the £30 lines here

If £30 is your budget, I’ve got a second hand LeapPad the kids don’t play with any more you can have for that…

alfabus
    Free Member

If £30 is your budget

Not so much a ‘budget’, just the sort of end of the market I’d prefer for this use – don’t want to spend £400 on a bit of an experimental nerdy fiddling.

I’ve got a second hand LeapPad the kids don’t play with any more you can have for that…

Cheers for the offer, but (after googling because I didn’t know what it was) it doesn’t look all that suitable.

Dave

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can you really get any tablet for £30?

alfabus
    Free Member

dunno, that’s kind of the point of the OP 🙂

edit: 2nd hand would be fine by me, just looking for a recommendation of what sort of thing to go for.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Could get an HP Touchpad off ebay and put android on it – I run ICS and it is mostly stable – sometimes reboots for no apparent reason but plays Angry Birds Star Wars OK, youtube, ebook reader.

The chip in them runs at 1.2 but is easy to push to 1.5 or 1.8Ghz, apparently it was designed for these speeds but HP used a slower speed for some reason.

The touchstone charger makes a good convenient dock for the kitchen, but will obviously cost more.

Cougar

Can you really get any tablet for £30?

Dunno about £30, but I’ve seen sub-£40 units. Probably pish, but for the price I’m fairly sure it’ll display a recipe at least.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Check out the Nabi tablets?

patriotpro
    Free Member

We bought an Elonex Android tablet for my daughter and it was junk, not worth the £70 we paid, (we sent it back for a refund), never mind £30.

It was of poor build, slow and generally frustrating to use. The thought of using it whilst doing something other than just sitting down and giving it your full focus gives me the shivers.

Stoner
    Free Member

it will drive you up the wall, but probably sufficient for your needs

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/13738/Elonex-eTouch-700ET-Tablet-7-Google-Android-1-6-Wi-Fi-Touch-screen/

EDIT: out of stock, sorry. but you get the idea. There’s a few similar models around. Resistive rather than capacitive screens, slow chipsets, old android (not actually a bad thing), low mem.

alfabus
    Free Member

HP Touchpad – tempting, but still £100+ for 2nd hand – could get a 1st gen ipad for that (which I could use more easily with my other apple stuff)

Nabi – is that another kids tablet?

Elonex – What is actually wrong with them? Surely if it is Android, then the OS can’t be too bad??

Dave

edit: saw stoner’s edit about the elonex – doesn’t sound great, but could be enough for the kitchen.

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9G901BbRJc[/video]

atlaz
    Free Member

At that budget I say not much chance. 200 quid for a Galaxy Tab 10.1 or 180 for a Nexus 7

gt900uk
    Free Member

Yes Nabi is a kids tablet. Was properly impressed with my nephews.

http://www.nabitablet.com/specs/nabi2

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Elonex – What is actually wrong with them?

Alan Sugar…

joeyj
    Free Member

Got one of these for my 5 year old son and its great does everything he wants it to do play games, watch movies etc and not too expensive either and small enough to stick in your kitchen.

rossi46
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these- CnM Tablet at Argos looks good for £130.
    Thinking of getting my wife one for her birthday, she likes her friends Kindle Fire and i wanted something similar for same money (ish).
    I’m not keen on the Kindle as i heard you’d have to buy all the apps from Amazon and theres adverts popping up all the time.
    True?
    I know what i’m doing with an Android as my phone is an Android.

mojodave
    Free Member

How about an O2/Openpeak Joggler –

7″ device which is designed to sit on a work surface. The original firmware can be pimped – I use mine primarily as a clock and internet radio/streamer using Squeezeplay connected to some external speakers but also Opera Browser, Google Calender, You Tube, IPlayer etc. It will also boot Android, Linux and Windows via USB.
    The clever people at http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/index.php have made this happen.
    There are a few on Ebay at the moment, usually sell for less than £50. The build quality is much better than a cheap tablet and it only failed commercially because of O2’s software choice.

alfabus
    Free Member

Cheers for the recommendations everyone, but I think the problem has just solved itself. My brother has a spare iPad 1st gen I can have 🙂

Dave

zilog6128

My brother has a spare iPad

perfect 1st world solution to your first world problem! Oh, how the other half live 😉

CountZero

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a cheap tablet….’ is closed to new replies.