Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me a best value wheel truing/building stand please..
  • heisenberg
    Free Member

As titled.. Been meaning to learn how to do this

epicyclo

An old front fork held in a vice is a good way to start. You can also cut the backend of a BSO for a rear.

Just make sure you check they are true and square before starting your wheel.

I use a Park one these days. It doesn’t do any better a job.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Used Park TS 2 or 2.2.
    I paid £125 for mine, as an upgrade on my minoura one, which was too flimsy to be accurate. Yeah, it’s a lot of money which some may think is a frivolous waste. I think that about dropper posts. 🙂

heisenberg
    Free Member

I am not very good with the ghetto stuff.

@peterpoddy ..if you can turn back time..would you still get that Park TS 2?

stew1982
    Free Member

Make one – as per Wheelpro (pdf link) which just happens to be the best instruction manual on how to build going!

bigjim

I’ve got all my wheelpro bits cut out, just need to stick it all together now. Actually thats a lie, I need to figure out where to get the metal axle mounts and plastic bits from/

heisenberg
    Free Member

Wheelpro is good cheers for the link.. So bigjim.. You have pdf file for this? Yes? 😀

nuke

So bigjim.. You have pdf file for this? Yes?

I hope you’re not implying he send it to you?

If so, pay up…it’s a good book and well worth the £9

bigjim

I have the pdf file yes. You can have it too if you buy it from the site 😉

stew1982
    Free Member

It’s is genuinely worth the £9, and I’m a tight fisted ………

shedfull
    Free Member

The Minoura Tru Base stand is very good, a lot cheaper than the Park stand and can be bought as a package with spoke key, setup tool and a wheel dishing tool.

zbonty

Wheelpro jobbie. I paid £1 for an MDF off-cut at Homebase. Bit of sawing, sanding, drilling-Job done!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Minoura Tru Base stand is very good, a lot cheaper than the Park stand and can be bought as a package with spoke key, setup tool and a wheel dishing tool.

If that’s the one I had, and I bought a package just like that, you’d be better with an old fork or making our own. It’s too wobbly.

scotroutes

I got a Minoura stand with the other bits, from one of the German shops. Seems to work fine for me.

househusband

I’ve got an older Minoura stand and have built a few sets of wheels with it and use it to keep mine as straight as I can.

I can see why PP says they’re wobbly; I have mine screwed down to a more secure base to try and combat this – but at the end of the day it is under half the price of the Park stand. I’m sure it’d fine for home wheel building and maintenance but if I was a professional mechanic, as is PP, then I would be looking elsewhere.

I was thinking of buying this one from Rose for £33.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-truing-stand/aid:553818
    Anybody got one, or got an opinion on it ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

HH, I have a tool fetish… 🙂 I see value in something I’ll never need to replace. I know I’ll use it. I’ve got a 20 year old socket set that I use all the time. It wasn’t cheap when I bought it but I needed sockets to work on my VW camper, and I’ve never ever regretted buying it. I do servicing from home as a sideline and plough quite a bit of my profits back into tools and spares (rolls of cable, brake pads, Fox service kits etc) so it’s basically paid for itself before I buy it. I can’t do without a decent wheel jig. I’ve got all sorts of stuff at home now, and I know for a fact there’s some bike shops that don’t have a workshop as good as mine. I enjoy it. It’s what I do, what I’ve always done, and now it’s my living too. 🙂

dannybgoode

Buy the Roger Musson wheelbuilding e-book for £10 also. Best investment I made when it came to building my own wheels.

Has plans for a kickass truing stand if you want to DIY

Andy

Another plus 1 for the wheelpro book. Best £10 I have spent on cycling by a LONG way. Teaches you everything from making your own stand and tools through to building. Plus you are then subscribed to updates

Also the guy only sells it for a tenner so a bit poor to just get a copy off someone to avoid the cost

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. I bought the Wheelpro book and printed it out at work. Best £9 I ever spent.
    That said I now lace my wheels differently to how Roger Musson teaches. There’s an easier to learn and understand method…..

Andy

Hmm is there Pete. I’d be interested to see that sometime. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Andy, it’s Gert Schraner’s method as in his book, The Art of Wheelbuilding.
    It’s the method they teach you at mechanic school. I find it easier and I don’t need to look at the diagrams any more when lacing a wheel.

Andy

Ah I have that book – will look it up. Thanks

tomhughes46

Does the Musson design work for 20mm axle front, or 150mm rear hubs?

pdw
    Free Member

I need to figure out where to get the metal axle mounts and plastic bits from

I used 3mm black acrylic plastic from ebay, and a 6mm flat steel bar from B&Q, carefully machined with a 10mm drill and an angle grinder.

househusband

Just bought that book by Gert Schraner – I’m curious as to how he does things differently!

fozzybear
    Free Member

If anyone is near kiddy I am happy to loan a jig and wheelpro book and tools.

BigJohn

I’ve done quite a few wheel builds and i’ve never wanted to use anything other than an upside down bike.

bigdean

Dispite fabricating my own jig and buy a cheep dti, i still use the wheel in frame and a pencil held on the seat stay with a elastic band.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a best value wheel truing/building stand please..’ is closed to new replies.