Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • recommend a scottish xc trail
  • gavinr
    Free Member

Hi, first post …

can anyone recommend a scottish xc red trail that is very similar in feel to ballyhoura white&brown loops (the more like the white one the better!)

thanks

duncancallum

which bit of Scotland?

tis a very big place!

My fav was Laggan which is in the cairngorms.

raisinhat
    Free Member

The golf course trails at Innerleithen, I’d especially recommend Jawbone, Splash and Dash, and Community Service.

Garry_Lager

Are you coming from Ireland? Kirroughtree is very well placed for the Stranraer ferry and is one of the best 7 stanes centres.

If you’re here already then it’s the the other way around, K’tree will prob be the furthest away. Glentress is best bet – most variety of any Scottish trail centre, plus Tweed valley, Innerleithen next door.

gavinr
    Free Member

Thanks, I will check these out.

“which bit of Scotland?

tis a very big place!”

anywhere is open at the moment!, I haven’t planned where yet

br
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a scottish xc red trail that is very similar in feel to ballyhoura white&brown loops (the more like the white one the better!)

The main problem is that probably few folk have ever even heard of ‘ballyhoura’, nevermind ridden there.

highlandman
    Free Member

Have ridden Ballyhoura- it’s very Daffyd Davies, old skool, narrow singletrack twisting through trees but not hugely technical. Good, entertaining riding.
    Closest stuff I can think of and a top recommend is the semi-natural trails of Rothiemurchus, to include the Bothy Trail, Loch Morlich contour, bottom of Lairig Ghru, Feshie etc. Bothy Bikes in Aviemore have quite a few maps and lots of advice. Plus staying in or near Aviemore, you’d be very handy for Laggan, for a more built experience. Not far from Ft Bill too, where there’s loads of well mapped trail to explore in Leannachan Forest.
    Another good alternative would be Drumlanrig, in the western half of the Borders. Definitely more XC than ‘Mountain’.
    Enjoy.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Mabie is a great trail centre. The red route is really nice (last time i went I saw a deer on the trail) 😀

scotroutes

Doesn’t sound much like a Scottish Red. In fact, that’s barely Green. I suspect the Golfie at Inners might be a bit much 😉

Northwind

raisinhat – Member

The golf course trails at Innerleithen

Graded red with the blood of the OP 😯

ampthill

Inspired by this thread i started googling

Looks like laggan is closed at the moment (snow?)

link

scotroutes

Lots of extraction going on at Laggan.

youngrob

I was going to say that the golfy is hardly red graded. 2 of the 3 trails mentioned were in last years EWS! Also, how is he going to find them?

The red at Glentress or Innerleithen are pretty good for the Tweed Valley, as is Gypsy Glen.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Your basically talking about drumlanrig in my eyes. Nice sculpted single track through the trees and red graded but also a good workout as it gives you nothing unless you work at it

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Drumlanrig, Mabie and Dalbeattie get my vote.

onehundredthidiot

Or pick a trail centr. Or find internet search in areas you’re interested. Ride some new stuff challenge yourself.

gavinr
    Free Member

Have looked over alot of the above .. I think definetly Mabie lol. I might try some of the others mentioned too.

Another question, if you guys are still reading the thread..

Which is more technical “Kirroughtree Mountain Biking Trails – Black Craigs” or the 5 day Torridon trip from issue 74. I am basically wondering if doing the Black Craigs would be good before attempting the Torridon trip (some other year)

thanks

BoardinBob

Which is more technical “Kirroughtree Mountain Biking Trails – Black Craigs” or the 5 day Torridon trip from issue 74. I am basically wondering if doing the Black Craigs would be good before attempting the Torridon trip (some other year)

Chalk and cheese.

Kirroughtree’s great but it’s a pretty well manicured trail

Torridon’s the middle of nowhere, carrying your bike for 2 hours, natural as it can possibly get descents

jimmy

Have ridden Ballyhoura- it’s very Daffyd Davies, old skool, narrow singletrack twisting through trees but not hugely technical.

Your basically talking about drumlanrig

This is what I thought, too.

gavinr
    Free Member

Chalk and cheese.

Kirroughtree’s great but it’s a pretty well manicured trail

Torridon’s the middle of nowhere, carrying your bike for 2 hours, natural as it can possibly get descents

Ok thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘recommend a scottish xc trail’ is closed to new replies.