Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Recommend a general purpose knife for £50
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Care package for grum!! 2 bits of iroka, 2 bits of black walnut,2 bits of moranti (mahogany type), 2 bits of ash, 1 large chunk of ash/lime (not sure which) a lump of antler and some offcut leather…. [/url]DSC_0644 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]
    Drop me a line with your address and I’ll get it in the post…

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Hey Grum, just send you an email.

Daftvader, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

daftvader
    Free Member

No problem, happy to help

grum
    Free Member

YGM both of you. This place is ace sometimes. 😀

benp1

If in doubt buy a Frosts Mora, any of them

I have a lot of knives, though haven’t bought any for a good few years. Most of my nice ones are all handmade, some very spendy, but the Moras are functionally just as good

When I go camping with friends, I usually take a couple of Moras in case someone wants to borrow a knife. I don’t mind if they get wrecked as they’re so cheap. My wife has a stainless one in the garden, it gets sharpened every now and then but is used and abused regularly

gatsby
    Free Member

I have one of these that lives in my pocket when working in the wood… An Ontario Knives RAT. I think it was about 30 quid, fantastic knife for anyone who wants to go down the ready-made-folding-knife-that’s-not-particularly-hipster-but-works-really-well route.

colournoise

This has served me well, first as an archery knife and now for general trail building purposes. So impressed I bought a couple of their excellent kitchen knives too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

B’md for my own interest…

gatsby
    Free Member

This has served me well, first as an archery knife and now for general trail building purposes.

I fine ACE’s fly much truer and make less of a mess of the boss… 😉

I have the exact same knife but branded as “Rapala” – bought it from a fishing shop, very cheap and perfectly serviceable although it’s not the best steel… The Marttini filleting knives are excellent though.

CountZero

As regards the posting thing, anything that protects the edge is fine, when you buy a Nic Westermann blade, he wraps an offcut of fleece around it and then puts an elastic band around it to hold it in place, and his blades are chuffin’ sharp!
    I bought a little bearded axe head from Bulgaria, very cheap, hand forged, and the bloke made a neat little mask for it out of a piece of cereal packet. Worked so well I’ve reinforced it with thick vinyl black and yellow hazard tape, works a treat. Just finished a handle for it, out of a branch cut from a dogwood tree in a mate’s hedge, just needs oiling, and the top slitting and a wedge made up out of a piece of oak offcut.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

grum – Member

Got some birthday money recently and I fancy getting a knife for general camping/bushcraft type stuff and just cos I like nice tools/knives/axes etc. Nothing too specific in mind but not too massive

This ^ And I struggle with the ‘hunting knife’ description. What are you doing with these knives? Clenching them between your teeth and acting out your fantasies on national trust land while families wander by on their way to the tea shop

Hardcastle Crags is rough ground, being able to baton and feather some wood is essential as the café is too far away for a brew 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone tried these Karesuando knives?
    linky

Saw some yesterday and liked the look of them…
    This is particularly nice, except the price for the Damascus blade 🙁

Admittedly not a practical general purpose piece though…

daftvader
    Free Member

Good knives, I have handled a couple (no pics unfortunately) and seem to last a good long time… I have seen them alot cheaper tho. Try greenman bushcraft as they seem to always have a sale on…

chewkw
    Free Member

I am not keen on knives with Ricasso as I find it difficult to sharpen. Not difficult as in unable to but just bothersome because knives with Ricasso, when sharpening, will always catch the sharpening stones. I don’t like that coz my Shapton glass stones cost me an arm and leg.

RustySpanner

Edited, wrong question. sorry.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a general purpose knife for £50’ is closed to new replies.