Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • recommend a 35+ cross tyre please
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Got 32 twisters which are fine but would like to try something fatter on the front, recommendations? ta

Sam

Cross tyres are by definition <32mm 😉

I think there was a thread on this last week – with the unsurprising lack of consensus. I'll stand by what I said then and go with Racing Ralphs for something a little more meaty.

stever
    Free Member

Maxxis Locust for me

JamesP
    Free Member

That's not strictly true. There are some cross tyres wider than 32. Have a look at Vittoria XM, XN and XG. 32 and 34 widths – although in fairness they come up a little undersized.

sillyoldman

Panaracer Cindercross is nice.

How are you anyway Other Dave?

fontmoss
    Free Member

so what do you call off road tyres wider than 32 but not 29er wide?
    there seem to be plenty out there from a variety of maunfacturers such as the locust?

EDIT: hello squire! Im ok but being crushed under the weight of work, yet another exam tomorrow but then holidays-planning to sleep for a week.

how goes the new job?

sillyoldman

Monstercross? Gaylordcross? Dunno.

Exam tomorrow and you're pissing about on here? <tut>…

New job grand – a weight off my scrawny shoulders!

fontmoss
    Free Member

Exam tomorrow and you're pissing about on here? <tut>…

exams are every 6 weeks so i need to dip into stw whenever possible 😛

New job grand

Glad to hear it, long overdue!

Sam

Sorry, meant to write 35 – which is the max according to the UCI. Personally I like the big uns – fit as big as your bike will take. There's not a lot in the high 30s, but once you get over 40 there are quite a few about. Panaracer, Contis, Hutchinson, Maxxis, Schwalbe. Most mfrs do something in that sorta size, though a lot tend toward hybrid use rather than off road. How much clearance have you got?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Conti Speedkings? I've got a set of those in 35, but haven't tried them yet

JamesP
    Free Member

I suspect tyre clearance will indeed be your biggest limiter. Few bikes deal with a tyre bigger than a 38.

fontmoss
    Free Member

singlecross so decent clearance tbh 35 is prob big enough, just hadnt seen much beyond that width and wondered what people had used. As Sam says they seem to become more hybrid at that point

Eggbox
    Free Member

Small block 8 35s on my CX bike. Good in the dry. Bad in the mud.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

schwalbe landcruisers – a little heavy and not so grippy but cheap and utterly bulletproof.

panaracer cindercross – costly but lovely all round tyre.

westkipper
    Free Member

Those of you that use Cindercross's
    Do they actually come up as 35mm?
    Conti speedking 35s for instance, measure their claimed size like… well. put it this way, Continentals M.D. must have a disappointed partner…

firestarter
    Free Member

bonty jones xr tlr 29er 1.8 here 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

cheers rorschach

think ill go for locust or speedking in 35, value for money option!

westkipper
    Free Member

***ks sake! theres a few highly strung individuals on that linked site!.
    Fontmoss, The kevlar beaded speedkings are narrower than 35, but are probably the fastest wearing tyres I've ever used (a rear lasted one 60 mile ride), very snakebite prone too…
    firestarter, please refrain from posting another pic of that bike 'till you get a pink saddle to match 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah i havent heard that many postive things about the kings, looks like the locust wins until i can afford cinders

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘recommend a 35+ cross tyre please’ is closed to new replies.