Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recomend me an after market chainstay protector
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Like the Trek big rubber one of similar, just got a Santa Cruz and dont fancy just wrapping “tank tape” or similsr round the chainstay.

Its to protect from chain slap etc.

Cheers 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used a bit of insulation tape. Worked well for a while. Never bothered re-applying it so now the swingarm is covered in battle scars 🙄

smiffkin

Lizard skins. Chain Reaction do them. Not bad and appear reasonably heavy duty, but not had it on long so I’m not sure how long it’ll last.

soobalias
    Free Member

not really found any good after market ones.

the one on my spesh is great
    all my other bikes have innertube/cable tie

stratobiker
    Free Member

Not only does the slapping of chain on chainstay drive me mad, it also damages the frame. Didn’t want no ‘lizard skin’ holding moisture and grit, so made this natty little number from an old Spesh tyre. Stayed in place no problem for a couple of years now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got some lovely bikes and I’m known as a bit of a bike/kit tart but I’ve never found anything better than old inner tube and evosick/zip ties. Especailly on Horst Link bikes where you can unbolt the stays and slip and length of tube over the stays!

chakaping
    Free Member

BBB one is quite nice for about £6, try it for size first though, not wide enough for fatter chainstays.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I use the either the lizardskins ones or a biketreks lizardskinzalike.

soobalias
    Free Member

i always go for the wrap approach on a cut tube.
    not sure i agree about the moisture/grit problem with lizard skins type things. just that they move about too easily.

thepodge
    Free Member

old inner and insulation tape to hold it in place

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

There’s one free with (wisper) MBUK this month so I believe!

shortcut

The best I have come up with is an old semi slick tyre cut to length with the bead cut off. It works brilliantly and looks good too! No pics sorry.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Stratobike, That looks good. Will do the same but with a “darkside” tyre as I think it may look neater.(Oh and im from the “darkside” and have loads of road tyres :?)

Cheers fellas.

MrAgreeable

I trained one of these little chaps to cling on to my chainstay. At first he didn’t enjoy it much, what with the constant thrashing from a greasy bit of metal, but he’s gradually starting to appreciate the opportunities for travel and meeting new people.

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’ve just made one for the patriot, wrapped old innertube round very tightly, make sure its a long enough length to do the whole chain stay and back again then you can super glue it in place without damaging the frame, do it outside tho cos you get some funky fumes off the glue and rubber!! Just gonna go get some insulation tape to cover it and then i’m off to test!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

That was an out-loud snort and chortle. Thanks MR Agreeable!

ChrisL

I have previously used Lizard Skins but recently had a go wrapping an old inner tube around my chainstay and putting a couple of zip ties at each end. It doesn’t slip, is pretty tough and I found the action of wrapping it around the chainstay very therapeutic. 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

innertube and insulation tape/cable ties.

had the lizard skin thingy and found it wasn’t big enough to fit around the chainstay properly and as a consequence would slid back toward the cassette and get chewed by the chain when in the samllest cog.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me an after market chainstay protector’ is closed to new replies.