Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Recently watched films you've really liked
  • ChrisL

I got Moon for my birthday last year and I finally watched it a couple of weekends back. I really liked it.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Caught ten minutes of this the other day, now really need to find it on DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_Man_%28film%29

13 Assisns needs to go on my list as well by the look of it.

yunki
    Free Member

little miss sunshine is ace..

I enjoyed Mr Nice..

and watching kung fu panda for the gazillionth time still managed to summon forth a little tear of joy.

Martz
    Free Member

Sucker Punch – Babes, swords, guns, nazi-zombies, good tunes. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Drive Angry – Truly terrible, that bad it was actually good.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Tell No One

yoda
    Free Member

True Grit- which I would go as far as saying was slightly better than the original even?!

The other film I’ve watched recently is “Rubber” about a killer tyre….it’s just weird…….I really can’t say anymore…just….weird! 😯

Crag
    Free Member

City of God – awesome film.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I quite liked Wild Target (mostly because Emily Blunt is in it) but couldn’t understand what Rupert Grint was in the film for.

_tom_
    Free Member

The other film I’ve watched recently is “Rubber” about a killer tyre….it’s just weird…….I really can’t say anymore…just….weird!

😆 I’ve seen that, it’s so, so shit. But I still watched it. I’m wondering whether the point of the film was to demonstrate that people will enjoy watching any old shit.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Old I know but I really enjoyed The Prestige – caught it on telly a while ago.

Also, The Blindside. Never thought I would enjoy a Sandra Bullock film but was a real feel good flick.

coogan
    Free Member

Hanna. Awesome film that, loved it.

_tom_
    Free Member

The Chemical Brothers’ soundtrack for Hanna was really well done I thought. Nice change from cliche’d orchestral stuff.

coogan
    Free Member

Was a great soundtrack. Was just great to see a thriller with characters, good acting and hardly any CGI splattered over the whole film. I’m bored of all the superhero and everyone shouting films of late. I wasnt a good cop movie again!

CountZero

+1 for Sucker Punch, loved it to bits, and bought the soundtrack album on download when I got home. Absolutely brilliant, all killer no filler.
    Attack The Block, amazing Brit film, very dark, very funny, and a terrific young cast.
    Source Code, By Duncan Jones, who did Moon. Very good SF take on the Groundhog Day idea, but less fun for the individuals involved, what with dying repeatedly. Really worth checking out, Duncan’s shaping up to be a first-class director.

Mintman
    Free Member

Hot Tub Time Machine; an inspired story of time travel & friendship.

Actually it was probably a bit cack but very amusing all the same…

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think the last film I watched was The Tourist. It was ok. Critics hated it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just finished Up – and I really enjoyed it.

Will give Sucker Punch, Attack the Block, and City of God a go. Hanna looked like a really poor idea, so have given it a miss so far – but is it really worth watching?

TheFlyingOx

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071KqJu7WVo&hd=1[/video]

Excellent. Plus, I don’t think Woody Harrelson has ever done a bad film.

coogan
    Free Member

Hanna is the best film I’ve seen these year. I went to see it with two girls, one getting the fright of her life all the way through it, but both loved it. Even the scared one. Don’t think it’s just a Nikita remake.

RealMan
    Free Member

I loved Zombieland, apparently they might be making a sequel as well..

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Borat in America (or whatever it’s called), hilarious!

CountZero

Don’t think it’s just a Nikita remake.

Nah, the Yanks already did that, although, TBH, the remake wasn’t a bad film, just not really necessary as it was almost scene for scene identical. I though about going to see Hannah but couldn’t be arsed with driving all the way to Bath and back on my own just to see it. I’ll wait for it on Sky.

AlasdairMc

Hanna was excellent I thought. Soundtrack was brilliant and the whole look of the film reminded me of Run Lola Run.

I also really liked Tron Legacy, if only because the look and sound made the film. Story was appalling, but that’s not the point I suppose.

Lummox

127 hours was a refreshingly simple and entertaining film. feel bad enjoying it when it is a true story.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Battle Los Angeles – Enjoyed it, in a very brain dead way (It’s black hawk down with Aliens)

No, no, no, no, no.

Black Hawk Down: Tells a true story in a way that captures (as much as any film can) the true feeling of fighting for your life in a hostile environment. One of the greatest war films of all time.

Battle Los Angeles: Like watching your mate play Halo crossed with COD for 2 hours, but he won’t let you have a go. Also with added American war movie catchphrases added in at inappropriate times so they really jar. Pap, but probably saved by the greatest line in any film: (on capturing an Alien and trying to work out where it’s heart is) Maybe I can help, I’m a vetenarian!”

Onto the original question, I recently enjoyed:
    The Social Network. I thought it was going to be awful, but loved it.
    The Town.
    Paul: Not as good as Shawn of the dead or Hot Fuzz, but still funny. Loads of 80’s sci fi film references.
    Moon.

RealMan
    Free Member

I enjoyed Paul as well, but I was born in 92, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Star Trek episode or film in my life. I’ve seen the Star Wars films (I think all of them) but don’t know them that well. Haven’t seen Close Encounters either. So I think 90% of the references in that film went straight over my head.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Black Hawk Down: Tells a true story…

Um, yah, not quite!

It forgets to set the scene by explaining that top militia were having a meeting to discuss a resolution when US helicopters (operating against UN instructions) rocket attacked the meeting killing many innocent civilians. The film should be called ‘Payback’.

z1ppy

Come on, you saying the last scene was blatantly lifted from Black Hawk Down (admittely doesn’t make it the whole movie, but I thought it reasonable)… though

“Like watching your mate play Halo crossed with COD for 2 hours, but he won’t let you have a go”

is a pretty good overview of the whole movie.

Excellent. Plus, I don’t think Woody Harrelson has ever done a bad film.

Have you never seen Kingpin?
    He has done lots of good stuff, Zombieland is ace though, one of his better ones.

Though I’m off to try Hanna, Sucker punch & Source code, from recommendations above.

_tom_
    Free Member

Battle: LA has to be the worst film I’ve seen this year. Couldn’t even finish it and that’s saying something as I can usually sit through some pretty terrible films!

derp
    Free Member

Watched this last night. 8/10.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwEFKdTckk[/video]

IdleJon

Mintman – Member
    Hot Tub Time Machine; an inspired story of time travel & friendship.

Actually it was probably a bit cack but very amusing all the same…

Very cack! But strangely compelling. Actually it was just rubbish and I had too much spare time that night.

Zombieland is very funny. Complete rubbish of course, with scenes that don’t really bear thinking about in a logical way, but still very funny.

TuckerUK – Member

Black Hawk Down: Tells a true story…

Um, yah, not quite!

BHD is probably fine if you don’t care about the history and all you want is lots of explosions and grunts chasing around. It doesn’t say much about war or people in war. It’s just another modern-ish war film with no heart.

I sort of enjoyed Scott Pilgrim vs the World the other day. It made me laugh properly at points but I got bored at other points.

Salt was just unbelievably poor. When did film makers start thinking that long scenes of people chasing other people was interesting. Gasp! as Angelina Jolie runs back and forth across the city. Gasp as she almost gets hit by a car. Gasp as she causes a car crash running across a road. Boring, badly written, poorly acted. Gasp as cliche follows cliche.

dogbert
    Free Member

Sucker Punch?? REALLY???…….as my wife put it, you’re in a mental asylum and you imagine being a prossie as a way to escape the horror…….eh?

Anyhoo, “Source Code” was good, Duncan Jones makes a good film

Enjoyed “Adjustment Bureau” too

Strangely enjoyed “The Switch” although i seem to be going through a phase of enjoying bad romantic comedies at the moment…….must be on my period

Kit
    Free Member

There Will Be Blood

derp
    Free Member

There Will Be Blood

Stop threatening us, and tell the group what your favourite film is.

MSP

Salt was just unbelievably poor. When did film makers start thinking that long scenes of people chasing other people was interesting. Gasp! as Angelina Jolie runs back and forth across the city. Gasp as she almost gets hit by a car. Gasp as she causes a car crash running across a road. Boring, badly written, poorly acted. Gasp as cliche follows cliche.

+1 watched it last night, god it was awful, as soon as AJ started running it fell apart, she ran like a girl scared of a spider, not like the athletic trained killer she was meant to be.

stayhigh

I saw NEDS the other day which really didnt hit the spot for me at all, very poor and what on earth was with the shockingly guff “walking hand in hand through the lions” metaphor at the end 🙄

Taken was just poor.

I watched The Fountain recently as well and thought that was rather dull and insipid as well.

I watched Black Swan and have to say I was very suprised by it. I was expecting it to be a paint by numbers type affair but found it very compelling watching and a good example of somebody suffering from either extreme levels of stress or the onset of mental illness.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just watched Moon, and fairly enjoyed it. It was quite different to the norm of sci-fi films, in a good way.

RealMan
    Free Member

Watched Hanna last night. When I saw watched, I mean I suffered through it, checking every few minutes how much more of the rubbish was left. That was possibly one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. The plot was more holes then anything, all the scenes were just ridiculous, and almost all the characters seemed to be holding the idiot ball 90% if not 100% of the time. The acting was poor and the characters annoying, and there seemed to be quite a few scenes that played no importance at all to the story (or lack thereof), and were just dull.

I could fill a medium sized book with the plot holes in that film. The first and fourth reviews here are much more entertaining
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/usercomments

And breathe.

Also watched Taken, and it was fairly good, but nothing amazing.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Hanna, my take on it was like a modern version of a fairy story.

minzo
    Free Member

Waltz with Bashir
    Amazing Film

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Recently watched films you've really liked’ is closed to new replies.