Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Rear light…
  • timbo678
    Free Member

Checked but none answered what I want to know…

Currently using a knog blinder which is good except for the battery life (4 hrs max on flashing) and the rubber clip has broken so I have to tape it to the bike every time I use it which is annoying.

I want a rear light that: –

1) Is bright and good spread (Knog is 45 lumens I think)
    2) Rechargeable (pref by USB)
    3) Run time of at least 6 hours on flashing mode.

Help appreciated

crazy-legs
    jonnyrockymountain

Ditto for the tracer

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I use the moon shield, 60 lumens, good light spread that lights up the road behind you, usb chargeable and does at least 4 hours flashing. Great light and can be picked up for £25ish if you look around online.

stevious

/reopen thread

See sense. I get about 8 hours of run time on mine, depending on the type of riding. It’s very bright (95 lumens) and has the best spread I’ve seen.

seesense

EDIT – I say 8 hours – I’ve never run out of juice yet and 8 hours is the longest I’ve run them for. Website reckons 12 hours.

timbo678
    Free Member

Bit worried See-sense may be more intelligent that me, I do like the long run time though

I like the idea of the exposure (I use the 6-pack up front), expensive though.

Moonsheild also looking good and good price..

loddrik
    Free Member

Currently using a knog blinder which is good except for the battery life (4 hrs max on flashing) and the rubber clip has broken so I have to tape it to the bike every time I use it which is annoying.

Holy cow! This is me.

Though I have a suspicion that my 5 year old took her scissors to the rubber part…

timbo678
    Free Member

I’ve gone to the knog warranty thing but looks like it wouldn’t be covered, I’ll send them feedback though, not what you expect from a £35 or so of light

stevious

The seesense is VERY easy to use. Just strap it to your seatpost and let it do its job.

timbo678
    Free Member

Torn between the seesense and the traceR. Both look good, traceR has battery indicator but seesense looks really good for long winter daytime rides as well as my 1.25hr commute. hmmmm….

monkeyp

Niteflux redzone 4. By far the widest spread, loads of programmable settings for brightness and flash type, excellent simple mount, usb chargeable and easily lasts 6 hours. Very robust simple design and should be waterproof.y

Got mine imported from the states for about £60 all in. Very very happy with it.

Brightest setting is daytime visible, but they also do a brighter one if you do lots of A road riding.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I run two Moon Shields. Can’t fault them.

greasyrider
    Free Member

This one looks like something from the star wars movie.
    Hope he has them ready before Christmas….
    http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/orfos-flare-360-degree-commuter-light-42791/?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRGENHOME

monkeyp

That is actually similar in appearance to the niteflux. This uses a silicone housing to distribute the light.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Moon Shield or Cateye Rapid X would be my suggestions…

g5604
    Free Member

See sense is not waterproof, standby time is awful and will drive you nuts turning it on. All my knogs have snapped, but the warrenty is great, the blinder comes with a spare

Moon comet is brilliant.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Anyone have experience with the Cateye Rapid 3? About to pull the trigger on the one with the ICS mount adaptor as the Blink gets such terrible revies. I want to be able to leave it on the bike while im at the pub etc, got a knog strobe under the handlebars and a joystick in the bag incase i need visibility.

Is it fairly discreet or should i sacrifice some functionality for the form factor?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Seesense is waterproof and the best spread of light on the market. Use mine five days a week.

Del

try the leyzne zecto

porkscratching
    Free Member

I’ve got a blinder too – rubber snapped on mine after 6 months and Wiggle replaced no questions asked. Wouldnt get another one, 3 times after heavy rain its refused to turn on. A quick charge and a dry out makes it work again, but I wouldnt have it as my only rear light now.

timbo678
    Free Member

I’ll get hold of knog anyway, mudguard in place means water not yet been an issue

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Exposure TraceR. Got mine in the post today, more than impressed.

craigxxl
    Free Member

As a driver passing plenty of cyclist commuters the Exposure TraceR stands out by miles from others including those that turn their seat posts into Christmas tree.

wiggles
    Free Member

Leyzene zecto drive. Bright rechargeable and easy to mount.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Lupine rotlicht is outstanding and has six settings

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lezyne Zecto, I think it’s a good rear light with some decent modes (I find most LED lights just have far too many!) and good battery life (4.5 hour ride the other day on daylight flash mode and battery was approx half full at end) but the USB seal is a definite weak point. I’d suggest anyone that has one uses a bit of butyl cord to seal up the USB charging point, works a treat.

duckers
    Free Member

Poundland – not rechargeable but waterproof, bright, 5 modes, and so cheap you don’t give a shit about losing, breaking, soaking it, and you can just splat them all over and light yourself up like a Christmas tree!

zeffir
    Free Member

Exposure tracer- the only rear light I’ve used that I’ve not looked to upgrade.

superleggero
    Free Member

Cateye TL-LD1100 – If you really want to be seen then I recommend one of these: http://www.bikelightsreview.com/reviews/cateye/tl-ld1100/

Been using one for a while and it’s got a very good battery life running 2AAs operating what are essentially two independent lighting circuits. Also referred to elsewhere on this forum as the ‘holy hand grenade’. Blimmin bright!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Another for the moon shield – got two in fact. I worry that it is too bright though. Wven at its lowest setting – 20 lumens.

Do you guys point them horizontally or down at the road or what?

timbo678
    Free Member

I reckon the tracer wins for me, helped by craigxxl’s comment

Thanks for all the help

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve used an exposure flare for the past 3 years, it’s a great light so I’d assume the rechargeable version is also pretty similar.

I quite fancy trying one of these click

benp1

Surprise at the lack of love for the holy hand grenade. It’s a brilliant light, actually one mention above. Good runtime, two circuits, lots of options for either super bright or just mild, side visibility, and can use with gloves

That and the 2 x 0.5W rear lights from various places. It’s good but now running as backup instead

marthall
    Free Member

+1 for broken rubber.. Also looked like someone had cut it!?!?

13 months old, happened yesterday… Not happy 😡

martymac

I use a holy hand grenade, great, but a bit bulky.
    Also have a rapid 3, easily bright enough but not blinding.
    Smart lunar R2 ftw, bright and cheap.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I want a rear light that: –

1) Is bright and good spread (Knog is 45 lumens I think)
    2) Rechargeable (pref by USB)
    3) Run time of at least 6 hours on flashing mode.

Light & Motion Vis 180:-

1) 70 lumen
    2) Tick
    3) 6 hours @ 70 lumen

The price may be a problem for you though.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Some of these lights look way too bright, it’s all very well ensuring you’re seen but when you are pretty much blinding other road users it’s silly, I see it with insanely bright front lights on a flash setting that’s strobing to fast all the time and it’s bloody dangerous for everyone around the user.

womp
    Free Member

Monkeyfudger, +1

That C&B looks great but is it too much, 500lm ? The traceR is only 75

aphex_2k
    Free Member

stevious – Member
    /reopen thread

See sense. I get about 8 hours of run time on mine, depending on the type of riding. It’s very bright (95 lumens) and has the best spread I’ve seen.

seesense

EDIT – I say 8 hours – I’ve never run out of juice yet and 8 hours is the longest I’ve run them for. Website reckons 12 hours.

Was yours new or from KickStarter? They were offering KS buyers a software upgrade that improved battery life and more lumens.

I bought one but as I’m in Oz didn’t send it back for the upgrade. It’s lovely and bright but I can’t get the hang of cycling through the modes, I just shake it until it comes on, and shake again to turn off!

I use that as well as a Fibre Flare. Seems to do the job.

stevious

Aphex – I bought mine after the KS campaign and I don’t think they’re doing the upgrades on newer ones yet.

I don’t use the modes either – I just trust it to do its job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Rear light…’ is closed to new replies.