• This topic has 65 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Read any good books lately?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, there’s this one book I’ve just read, and all. It’s real good. I mean, it’s not bad and all, if you’re in the mood I mean. Especially the part with the pimp and the goddamn hooker in the hotel, and all. And old Phoebe on the carousel and all. That kills me. Some of it’s not too gorgeous. Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody…

yunki
    Free Member

I’m quite enjoying Alexander McCall Smiths offerings at the moment for their lighthearted and simple humanism..

ollie
    Free Member

LOL wut? and all…..

Edit: And I’m currently reading ” with the old breed ”

Cougar

I think that’s an episode of Friends that I’ve missed…

Torminalis
    Free Member

Catcher in the Rye?

I am currently reading ‘We must talk about Kevin’. It is rather heavy.

samuri
    Free Member

Well it’s an old book and it’s probably only for Scifi fans but I’ve dug out Hubbard’s ‘Battlefield Earth’ which really is very good indeed. It’s so sad the film was astonishingly bad.

phatstanley
    Free Member

child of god
    by cormac mccarthy.
    just your typical southern gothic, squirrel eatin’, necrophiliac loner-stroke-serial killer kinda protagonist.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

John Connolly. Spooky and violent, but absolutely absolutely wonderful.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Don’t Tell Mum I Work On the Rigs, She Thinks I’m Piano Player In A Whorehouse, especially the bit about the manager’s wife with the large breasts being manhandled by the monkey which then cracks one off whilst sitting on the ceiling fan spinning faster and faster until..

nbt

John Connolly’s stuff rocks. I liked L Ron Hubbard when I read it, but that was twenty years ago now (ulp: twenty fricking years!)

Currently re-reading the last few wheel of time books by Robert Jordan in preparation for readin the new stuff by Brandon Sanderson

Best new stuff I’ve read recently is Joe Abercrombie. Cracking read, could hardly put it down. If you like sword and sorcery, go out now and get “the blade itself”, you won’t regret it.

Say one thing for Logan Ninefingers…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Currently reading and enjoying Stephen Fry’s ‘The Hippopotamus’

Just read ‘Dark Matter’ by some woman and really enojoyed that.

Read Jump by Jilly Cooper just before Xmas and it was terrible. I should have stared at the wall for a few hours instead.

Cougar

Best new stuff I’ve read recently is Joe Abercrombie

Ee, I met him at the weekend. Top, top bloke and very entertaining.

Garry_Lager

Just finished Gene Wolfe’s last one – The Sorcerer’s House. Something of a return to form, in that it’s miles better than his recent efforts, but there’s still something missing from these late period books of Wolfe. Good all the same.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just finished Iain M Banks Surface Detail. I’ve read a few of those but my god, what a wonderful book.. I’m in awe of the man, seriously. Finishing gave me a profound feeling of loss…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Last 2 books i read, Long walk to freedom, Nelson Mandela, amazing book, and Mr Nice/Howard Marks, very good also. Just started reading a wee book about tony benn, a political life. I’ve also got a book about Bill Hicks half read which i’ll go back to eventually.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m re-reading Moby Dick – avast ye.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

+1 for Iain M. Banks. Just finished Look to Windward and now starting Use of Weapons.

Also recently read ‘Our Final Century’ by Martin Rees. Very well thought-out, and depressingly realistic book debating whether or not mankind will survive the next 100 years. Fairly heavy stuff, but it is very interesting (in a morbid way).

hels
    Free Member

Surface Detail is that the new Culture novel ? Well looking forward to that in e-books. Reading Transitions at the moment which is so far so good.

crikey
    Free Member

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

big_scot_nanny

Transitions is **** awesome, brilliant and Banks really back to his best. Highly recommended.

Currently just read the first line of Surface Detail, and am nervous to get into it as it will consume me.

Like a lot of authors, but when Banks get’s it right (M or not), he is absolutely stunningly absorbing.

I thought look to Windward was a bit pap, Use of Weapons rather amazing though.

Kev

scaredypants

I read “the road” just recently after avoiding it for a while til the hype (in my mind) died off – good, not brilliant though

hels
    Free Member

Saw Iain Banks at the book fest last year in Edinburgh he was great, although his favorite of this books is “The Bridge” which is the one I have never come to grips with. Must try harder !

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

A few books I’ve enjoyed

Bukowski Post office/Woman/Factotum
    Pedro Juan Guiterrez Dirty Havana Trilogy
    Graham Greene Any of his work
    Paul Theroux Dark Star Safari
    John Buchan 39 steps

j_me
    Free Member

Just finished “Transition” (good) and will start Surface Detail soon.
    Before that I read “Legend of a Suicide”, which was, errr, interesting.
    Might try and read Grand Design too.

avdave2

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

Great book that always comes up on one of these threads on any forum that has a majority of men on it.

andybach
    Free Member

Just re-read Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard. and now enjoying – Junior Oficer’s Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey which is excellent

bassspine
    Free Member

Richard Holmes The Age of Wonder. Wonderful history of science

boxelder

Excellent read – very original. About a young lad with aspergers coming to terms with losing his dad in 9/11 and his grandparents caught up in Dresden’s fire storm.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An excellent read. Am going to try Agent Zigzag once I’ve finished current reading material.

CheesybeanZ

john connolly ,superb . i read bill brysons walk in the woods which was laugh out loud funny .

CountZero

Recent books:
    Banks Surface Matter. Fantastic book, I love his books, and I’ve read all of them, but Surface Matter blew me away, his imagination and storytelling never ceases to amaze me.
    Joe Abercrombie Blade books. Seen them on the shelves, but never got around to buying them, and there’s only so much space, then they turned up on iBooks so I indulged. Read the first, bought all the rest and read them one after the other. Bloody, violent, profane, and just the most amazing fun. Hardly a single likeable character anywhere, any moral compass has not only lost it’s glass and needle but the whole compass Rose. Now reading The Heroes, which promises to be just as much fun.
    Kate Griffin The Neon Court. Just finished this one, started reading the ebook on the train up to London to meet the author on the day it was published. This is the third in her adult Urban Magic series, the others are A Madness Of Angels and The Midnight Mayor. I can’t recommend these highly enough, Kate’s a superb writer, and a lovely person too, not at all phased by my dumping eleven of her books on the table to be signed. And she’s only 25. She writes teen/young adult fantasy under her real name of Catherine Webb, and all those books are really worth reading, very adult in the concepts and writing, the first book she wrote, Mirror Dreams, is very influenced by Roger Zelazney’s Amber books. She wrote it when she was 14! She also manages to hold down a job as a theatre lighting designer and technician, RADA graduated, and has been working with Danny Boyle on the lighting for Frankenstein. Talented? I should think so. I’m not her agent, btw, but I love her books so much I try to spread the word every chance I get.

nicko74

I am currently reading ‘We must talk about Kevin’. It is rather heavy.

If you’re more than halfway through, perservere – it is worth it by the end. If you’re less than halfway through… you could just skip to the end and not miss a huge amount in terms of plot development.

Just finished reading Alastair Reynold’s second – Chasm City, I think – and enjoyed it, although it lacked the scope of Revelation Space.
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy was intense – I kept hold of my copy of it (I tend to sell on my books), but have no idea if/when I’ll ever read it again – it’s that kind of book.
    Going back a while, House of Leaves was pretty good, sticks in the memory. China Mieville’s sci-fi is pretty solid for the genre (Perdido Street etc)

Want to read Surface Detail, but waiting for a family member to buy it, so I can borrow it from them. Use of Weapons was another Iain M. Banks that was cracking from beginning to almost end, then the end just blew you away.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Reread Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger recently. Good book, about when he was training Aikido in Japan.

Coyote
    Free Member

American Gods – Neil Gaiman
    Smoke and Mirrors – Neil Gaiman
    The Thief of Always – Clive Barker

All recommended.

Taff
    Free Member

Charley Boormans – race to dakar and by any means
    Robert Leckie – helmet for my pillow.

beej

Angry White Pyjamas is one of my favourite books ever. Big Snake by the same author is good too.

Hokaido Highway Blues by Will Ferguson (spelling might be dodgy here) is another favourite.

bellerophon
    Free Member

phatstanley child of god
    by cormac mccarthy.
    just your typical southern gothic, squirrel eatin’, necrophiliac loner-stroke-serial killer kinda protagonist

Perfect, thanks for the pointer bud.

One of my favourites is ‘God is a bullet’ by Boston Teran

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Enjoying Jo Nesbo books at the moment.

Read The Snowman, Redbreast and currently on Devils Star (which isn’t as quick as the other two)

Drunken cop solves murders & stuff.

Good twists though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just re read ‘As I walked out one midsummer morning’ Always hits the spot when I want a relaxing read.

And on topic, just reading Bradley Wiggings. He;s a boozy beggar.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’d never have thought it would be any good, but my wife read it (even more surprised at this and don’t know why) and persuaded me to give it a go…

King Solomon’s Mines, by H Rider Haggard is a proper ripping yarn!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Read any good books lately?’ is closed to new replies.