Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Rate my new custom bike
  • ciquta
    Free Member

yes, it’s a Panaracer but I should be able to fit a chronicle

I’m no fan of QR, but you can get sliding dropouts at extra cost

not sure about double butting, but they claim lifetime warranty (as much as it’s worth…)

dovebiker

Nice – myself and a mate have had a couple of frames each off Waltly and they’ve been great- you can also buy them for £1500+ with someone else’s name on them. Import fees are nothing to do with them, you can get them to put a lower value on customs declaration but you’re screwed if the consignment gets lost and customs can penalty charge for a false declaration.

Bez

I’m genuinely not being pedantic but why would you not spec mud guard eyelets and a rack mount or two?

Pretty sure I can see mud guard points at the chainstay bridge and on the seat stays. Looks like rack mounts near the dropouts, too, although I can’t make out any near the seatstay bridge.

Why do all “custom” frames on stw have a bunch of headset spacers fitted?
    Surely if it’s custom you’d get it to fit without.

Gives you options for changing bars at a later date, or bikepacking vs CXing vs whatever you want to do. My road bike and my CX bike are the same frameset, but the latter has spacers. If I only had one bike I might want the option.

Anyway… The fork is hideous and doesn’t go with the frame, but if it does what you want it to do, who cares 😉

ciquta
    Free Member

Pretty sure I can see mud guard points at the chainstay bridge and on the seat stays. Looks like rack mounts near the dropouts, too, although I can’t make out any near the seatstay bridge.

Yes, I don’t plan to use mudguards but there are points at the bridges.

I ordered the mounts at the dropouts to get an extra bottle cage like this:

ciquta
    Free Member

Anyway… The fork is hideous and doesn’t go with the frame, but if it does what you want it to do, who cares 😉

Fact is I didn’t find many forks with these specs:

– thru axle
    – clearance for 29+ tires
    – priced under 300£

do you know some?

pushbikerider
    Free Member

Hi ciquta – loving your work there! Would you be interested in sharing your experience on my blog? (http://www.spanner.org.uk)
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

ndthornton
    Free Member

For me it contravenes the first rule of bike packing – I wouldn’t leave it outside my tent. I couldn’t sleep a wink.

Bez

do you know some?

Nope. Like I said, if it does what you want and you’re happy with it, who cares what anyone thinks it looks like? But you did ask 😉

Poopscoop

Green with envy. You and the bike must have made some amazing memories!

antigee

^^^great pic looks like popped quite a few km to pick up a pineapple ! Trust new bike gets some action

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For me it contravenes the first rule of bike packing – I wouldn’t leave it outside my tent. I couldn’t sleep a wink.

To be fair it cost about the same as a Surly Karate Monkey.

And bike crime in the middle of nowhere must be pretty low.

ciquta
    Free Member

every 29+ bike is cool enough to be stolen… IMO

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

fishing line around frame leading to your big toe, you’d know if its being nicked

postierich
    Free Member

CROCS!!!! the shame 🙂

ciquta
    Free Member

fishing line around frame leading to your big toe, you’d know if its being nicked

you still have few chances to catch the thief while tucked up in the sleeping bag 😛

epicyclo

ndthornton – Member

Why would you want to go bikepacking in those sorts of places?

dufusdip
    Free Member

I don’t get gravel bikes but i love that. Frame, seat post and even the fork. Looks nicely designed and built.

ndthornton
    Free Member

So you are notified of a theft in progress by having your toe wrenched off….leaving you incapacitated and unable to pursue

Id rather have it nicked

Maybe just me but i still wouldn’t like to leave Ti outside a tent, pub or shop anywhere. I’m sure it be fine….i just wouldn’t enjoy the evening as much

ciquta
    Free Member

the ECR is from the guy at bikepacking.com

Tech Note: Extra Bottle Cages on a Surly ECR/Troll/Ogre

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Rate my new custom bike’ is closed to new replies.