• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by WTF.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Random: Refurbished Victorian School Buildings
  • jimmy

Does anyone know of a Victorian School building in your area (or not actually) which has been refurbished / rennovated but still used as a school? Need to find examples, but hard to uncover on google.

nonk
    Free Member

my primary school is a prime example.(was then and is now)
    it was greenhead coe aided first school greenhead brampton cumbria.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think victoria primary in edinburgh was recently refurbished. It certainly is still in use as a school

http://www.victoriaprimary.ik.org/home.ikml

ransos
    Free Member

Try contacting the BRE – they do BREEAM assessments for schools. Appparently, refurbished primary schools (where the project is >£500k) must meet BREEAM "Very Good".

davey_clayton
    Free Member

My primary school in Ripon was redeveloped a couple of years ago into houses. Frankly though the buildings weren't suitable to be a school in this day and age, and nostalgia for the architecture isn't much help to the people who have to learn/work there.

On the other hand it didn't make very good houses.

midlifecrashes

Does it have to be Victorian? Ours is 1926 and still very fit for purpose, and recently refurbed, but still has a traditional feel.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

All my nephews went to Scarcroft school in York. As primary schools go, that is something to behold. Don't know whether it's been refurbished…

midlifecrashes

Oh, another one just from 1906, two of my nieces are lined up to go here in a couple of years.

Moses

Bishop Road in Bristol.
    Paul Dirac went there.
    and so, according to rumour, did Indira Ghandi

jimmy

midlife – whats the 1926 one called? And that big boy there ^?

TimP
    Free Member

Hampstead School in North London. we put an extra floor on the roof (you can see the curved bit in the middle) and refurbed the ground floor

Kit
    Free Member

There's one across the road from me which has been in the process of renovation since I moved in nearly 3 years ago, but its being turned into flats as far as I can tell (or will be when the developer has some money).

midlifecrashes

Intake Primary, Sidney Road, Doncaster. My kids are there and I'm chair of governors, so I can get you any info you need. Website on a rebuild this week to match our new prospectus. What's this for?

The big boy is Stadium High School, Tacoma, WA. Actually built (as far as a shell) as a Hotel in 1891, but completed as a school in 1906. Tons of info on it if you can google.

woody2000

My secondary school was a Victorian orphanage – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossley_Heath_School

Lovely, if imposing looking building.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Jimmy what you doing your research on I might be able to help you?

nonk
    Free Member

jesus some of those are bloody scarey places to send small bairns.

WTF
    Free Member

Scotland street school in Glasgow.
    Restored as it is a Rennie Mackintosh designed building,still used as a school ,sort of, as it is now a school museum.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Random: Refurbished Victorian School Buildings’ is closed to new replies.