Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • rail links . S.W.
  • grynch
    Free Member

Ok… now Mrs. G is asking if I can find out about public transport ( she doesn’t want me hiring a car at all now ‘prolly !! ) between Ringwood, Hamps. and Plymouth Devon.

So… does anyone know if there are any rail links down there… would she have to travel all over the south west to make connections or.. gawd forbid… National Express?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

This is what Ringwood station looks like now – not like what it used to!

The nearest stations are; Christchurch 7.6 miles, Bournemouth 9 miles, Brockenhurst 10 miles. None of which operate a direct service.

This means either going (for example) Bournemouth -> Reading and then down to Plymouth, or go from Southampton -> Salisbury & Salisbury -> Plymouth via Exeter St. David.

grynch
    Free Member

thanks !!

slugwash
    Free Member

Grynch, rail travel from anywhere in ‘coastal’ Dorset/Hampshire and Devon/Cornwall is a complicated and stress inducing affair involving zigzagging, multiple connections, and/or possibly several days 😉 And the on-line rail/timetable planners are plagued with logistical errors engendering no faith in the likelyhood of completing of your journey without a some kind of a connection fcukup. One delayed provincial branch-line train and it all goes boobs up!

We’ve have to get our teenage boy from Devon to relatives in the Christchurch area several times a year and we just drive him there now for the sake of simplicity. It’s also several hours quicker.

National Express might be a possibility between major towns. Otherwise I’d drive it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘rail links . S.W.’ is closed to new replies.