Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Radio 6 Music
  • AlexSimon

Gave this a try for the first time the other day and again today.

I was expecting:
    Good music
    Intelligent comment about music
    Less talk

Instead I got:

Wittering on
    ‘Shout outs’
    Interviews with people hardly mentioning music
    Long newscasts

The music wasn’t bad, but after waiting another few minutes between tracks, I quickly went back to Last FM and Spotify.

It was like Radio 1 but with older, better music. what the hell?

Are there particular times of the day or programmes that I should persevere with?

verses

It was like Radio 1 but with older, better music. what the hell?

The 7am-7pm weekday is pretty much as you describe.

Outside of that is much better.

Cerys Mathews, Gideon Coe, Huey Morgan, Mark Riley and Tom Ravenscroft are some of the better shows to listen out for. Cerys is my particular fave.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

IMO over the last couple of years (probably a bit longer – certainly since the station was saved from the axe) there seems to have been a change in the presentation style with more emphasis on the DJs as personalities with running in jokes and other shite rather than music.

edlong
    Free Member

As with most stations, midweek daytime gets you less music / less variety of music than evenings and weekends. Beyond that, it’s whatever floats your boat, for me Gilles Peterson and Craig Charles on a Saturday are the highpoints, but I know others like Huey Morgan and Jarvis Cocker quite a bit. And Guy Garvey.

It’s not been the same since they got rid of Bruce Dickinson though.

ocrider

What you got was daytime radio. You should listen to the evening and weekend shows and then draw your own conclusions.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Radcliffe and Maconie are the worst for what you describe IMO. Lauren Laverne generally makes up for any overtalking with the quality of the music (most of the time). Jarvis is worth a listen.

We have it on in the office and rarely listen to what’s actually going out live.

flyingmonkeycorps

I quite like Steve Lurpak as well, but I have a soft spot for him from my formative years. Post 7pm is definitely the best though, Mark Riley and Huey are favourites, though I do enjoy Jarvis, Cerys and some of the others too. And the vinyl show on a Sunday lunchtime can be good, Tom Jones was brilliant.

Shaun Keveney is irritating over breakfast.

I also listen to the punk show on Radio One, which I can’t get my head round.

binners

Everything’s relative. I love 6. Because in comparison, everything else is woeful!

We have it on all day. Rad Mac are best in the afternoon (1 onwards). And you can’t dis LaLa!!! And…erm… you are aware that the ‘shoutouts’ are a piss take, aren’t you?

Mary Anne Hobbs makes me want to rip my own ears off though. The most annoying person on the planet

verses

As Omar said, I also noticed the daytime shows start to become more populist after it was “saved”.

christhetall
    Free Member

Which shows did you listen to ?

I’m a huge 6music fan, and the only shows I don’t like are Sat afternoon and evening. My problem is that I end up buying music I hear, and then never listening to it cos I’m listening to the radio.

I would say persevere, as it may be an acquired taste, but if you were listening to RadMac (or Sean Keaveny) and didn’t enjoy their wittering or interviews, then you probably beyond hope. Though I suppose Steve Lamacq witters less than most.

Oh, and the “shout outs” tend to be ironic, but only if you have a sense of humour…

AlexSimon

ok, thanks! – I don’t really have chance to listen in the evening, but I’ll see if I can get ‘listen again’ on a few of those DJs mentioned.

I still don’t get it. Surely there needs to be a USP? At the moment during the day, I didn’t really see much difference between R1/R2 and R6.

I really couldn’t give a stuff what whatshername from whatsthatplace was doing when she first heard whatever; or what suchandsuch celebrity has just tweeted.

ridingscared
    Free Member

Radcliffe and Keveney are frustrated (poor) comedians. They should just stfu and play music. 1extra has gone the same way , ‘personality’ presenters and a 2 hour playlist that gets rotated 80% of the day. passionradio bristol for me.

fasthaggis

Mary Anne Hobbs makes me want to rip my own ears off though. The most annoying person on the planet

Shame that,I thought she was going to be good.
    She may get better once she has settled in,Edith Bowman however 🙄

spawnofyorkshire

I don’t mind Shaun Keveney as I listen to 6music for about 45 mins in the morning. At least you get a decent smattering of good songs to listen to.

Radcliffe and Maconie annoys me which is a shame as Mark and Lard was always my favourite radio 1 show in it’s various incarnations

6Music did provide us with Terry Wogans Pirate Radio when Peter Serafinowicz was on
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcfLzuBQADs[/video]

fasthaggis

Oh ,and last chance to vote in the top 100( if you are in to that kinda thing) 🙂

rick@twelve50bikes

Stick with it. As pointed out above, everything else is terrible by comparison! Evening shows are definately better, more emphasis on music than chatter certainly, Marc Riley is a favourite in our household. By “interviews with people barely mentioning music” I presume you were referring to Devendra Banhart (sp?) on Lauren Lavernes show this morning which was excruciating to listen to.

AlexSimon

BTW – it was Lauren Laverne mostly (plus whoever preceeded her). It definitely didn’t seem like the shout-outs were ironic/piss take.

I’ll put it back on and see what Radcliffe and Maconie have to offer.

crazy-legs

6Music used to be really good before there was talk of it being axed. Then it tried to go all populist and mainstream. We used to have it on in the labs, it says a lot that the only channel that 4 chemists of such disparate taste in music could all cope with was 6Music.

But I find Cerys Matthews really annoying.

About the only thing I listen to now at work is Classic FM via internet radio.

binners

I still don’t get it. Surely there needs to be a USP?

Can you suggest another radio station that has as broad a playlist?

My problem is that I end up buying music I hear, and then never listening to it cos I’m listening to the radio.

Tell me about it! The combination of 6 music and itunes can inflict severe damage on your bank balance

kimbers

best radio station around by miles

laverne, keevney, play good tunes but blather on too much , rad mac, riley just blather on too much and adam and joe has been replaced by edith frickin bowman!!!!!!!!

giles peterson, huey, craig charles, guy garvey are the highlights,

cerys is too irritating-shame rick wakeman stopped his sunday morning planet rock show!

flyingmonkeycorps

I can handle Keaveny in the morning, ‘cos it’s only on for half an hour or so, but I don’t think I could manage a whole show. He does play some good stuff though.

drdjpower

Persevere! And avoid the breakfast shows! Crumbs.

Cerys’ programme last Saturday, with some famous drummer dude, was wonderful. She’s worked out that we want to listen to music, not her. And that’s despite the fact that listening to her is lovely in itself. It’s a sweeping generalisation, but are girl DJs just much better at keeping their egos under control?

Mark Riley and Tom Ravenscroft also do it for me, lots of mad music, not a lot of talking.

kuman
    Free Member

Craig Charles funk and soul show on Saturday night is pretty good.

AlexSimon

Can you suggest another radio station that has as broad a playlist?

I’m obviously being grumpy, but if that’s their USP, then they do a good job of undermining that by chatting for ages.

For me, it should be about good music with short chats about the actual music that’s just been played or about to be played.

Unfortunately, I’ve just turned on during an interview – about 10mins of talking with one music track so far.

christhetall
    Free Member

Amazed that people like Giles Peterson – the one show I have to turn off.

Also disagree that it has changed or gone downhill the closure scare (anyone go on the protest?) – IMHO its as good as ever.

It’s USP is simple – good music. 50% current, 50% over 4 years old. Plays loads of old favourites (assuming you have decent taste) but then throws in stuff, old and new, that you might also like.

drdjpower

I didn’t spot this from Binners: “Mary Anne Hobbs makes me want to rip my own ears off though.”

It ruins my girls-are-better-than-boys argument. Except it doesn’t. I have studied this very carefully, and have concluded that Hobbs and Celebrity TV Boffin Professor Sir Brian Cox are the same person. Makes a lot more sense now.

mrmoofo

It s a station I thought I liked, weened wifey onto it – and she loves it
    I now cannot stand it – dull music, overly weird (or may this Cerys trying to be hip) way to much banal talk.

I was a product of the punk era, and the staion is filled with a load of 50 somethings reliving 1976 – 1980. There is nothing wrong with that – but it’s done in such a smug ” you had to be there way”

I have to turn it off – maybe I’m getting old.

mrchrispy

bring back George lamb, that’s what I say!

/dons flame proof suit

binners

They’re playing Sigue Sigue Sputnik at the moment. What more do you want FFS!!! 😉

cheese@4p

Mark er… um.. Er Rad um Cliffe er um er… No ta

Mark Riley is good

ahwiles
    Free Member

binners – Member

They’re playing Sigue Sigue Sputnik at the moment.

tunes in… to people i don’t know or care about talking 5hite, as usual.

R6? – it’s crap.

how hard can it be to just play some good music?

DezB
    Free Member

Same here!

Got a DAB radio for Christmas.

I was expecting:
    Good new music
    Intelligent comment about music
    Less talk

Instead I got:
    Wittering on
    ‘Shout outs’
    Interviews with people hardly mentioning music
    Long newscasts (Including some bollocks about Beyonce miming the US national Anthem WGAS!!!)
    OLD music

Jack FM is better. At least they don’t have the wittering.
    iPod has been redocked.

rick@twelve50bikes

George Lamb? Please god no!
    Beth Orton playing now, surely a good thing, no?

AlexSimon

Beth Orton playing now, surely a good thing, no?

I’m fine with one track on the radio, but I’m not actually a fan. That one wasn’t too bad though to be honest.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dunno, after what felt like an age, i gave up listening to them tell us how great they are, and tuned into the world service.

ransos
    Free Member

Jack FM is better.

If you’re into MOR 80s.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

6 music’s way too populist and dull imho too many lacklustre ‘indie’ bands…where’s the metal, extreme or otherwise?

much lauded john peel nailed it, just by playing tracks from the ‘terrorizer’ mag sampler cd.

apart from that my highlights include gilles peterson and the live concerts from yesteryear.

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re into MOR 80s.

That’s all I’ve heard on 6 Music… not so much 80s, but Elbow, Suede and MOR crap like that.

sadexpunk

looks like we all have our favourites, and what appeals to some doesnt to others, only to be expected.

to me….. i love it. only station that ive heard old punk stuff for starters, but theres just sooo much other stuff id never dream of listening to. and i quite like the chat from rad/mac, lamacq, riley etc. decent life stories, bit of my sort of humour too….. its all good, steve lamacq my favourite tho i think.

when im at home, its on all day long on weekdays, but im not a fan of cerys or gilles peterson.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Amazed that people like Giles Peterson – the one show I have to turn off.

Been listening to him for 25 years – excellent music taste

That jingle from Beth Orton was incredibly irritating, but I suppose it fits in with everything else she has ever done…

However that current jingle where Paul McCartney says through his dentures “we play music – we don’t work music” is the worst – I am close to emailing in and complaining, for all the good it will do.

Hopefully Paul McCartney will become involved in ‘SavilleGate’ and then we will never hear him or his stuff again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Radio 6 Music’ is closed to new replies.