Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 209 total)
  • Racism
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Journalism student ale?

Nahhh he’s definitely a terrorist or a hippy. I’ve informed GCHQ.

Jamie
    Free Member

…were from poland or ukraine something like that.

To be fair, they do all look the same.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So why didn’t you just say ‘look mate round here we don’t conduct ourselves like that’?

Perhaps I should phone you up next time I want to make a point to someone ?

You have no idea how I deal with situations, but I can assure you that I am perfectly happy with how I conduct myself when confronted with racism.

alex222
    Free Member

ut I can assure you that I am perfectly happy with how I conduct myself when confronted with racism.

what you stew over it then purge yourself on an internet forum?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

God you’re daft.

alex222
    Free Member

I was truly shocked

so I came on the internet and told everyone that

Pretty much every Pole

has turned out to be racist

Yeah I am the daft one; you’re right.

peterfile
    Free Member

there was a gang of black painters which also included one Pole.

Now who’s the racist? Just because there is more than one black person in a group doesn’t automatically make it a “gang”.

😉

batfink
    Free Member

This thread is an excellent demonstration about why it’s impossible to have a sensible debate about racism.

There are some really insightful comments, but they are overshadowed by people pointing fingers and saying “you can’t say that….it’s racist”.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Hahahaha – please. This made me laugh out loud. If you think the media in this country is ‘free’ in any meaningful sense you are either deluded or ignorant. I suspect the later.

I think you may be mistaking commercial companies as “the media” per se. Commercial “news” organisations are in the business of selling advertising. Therefore they publish things which they believe will sell advertising to their clients. i.e. they publish what people want to buy as opposed to news. The BBC on the other hand do not have that imperative, and therefore do tend to be more intelligent in the news and current affairs that they present (no not footbalers misdemeanours!). The real freedom of media is the abilty to publish to a massive audience wordlwide through vehicles such as this forum and blogs. I think you will find there is little or no censorship or control taken over that in this country.

Regarding racism generally, it is entirely wrong to run away from it. It needs confronting actively, so to that extent its right and proper to do so where we can. Don’t forget Eastern Europe is not much different to the UK 50 years ago. Things can and will change. They will change that much faster if it is demonstrated that much of the rest of the world strongly disapproves and that there are real costs for behaving this way.

alex222
    Free Member

There are some really insightful comments

They should **** off back to their own country if they don’t like the skin colour of some Britons. IMO.

and

Pretty much every Pole I have ever worked with has turned out to be racist

and

If a Pole starts whingeing to me about black people then it is highly likely that I will tell them to **** off back to Poland

All sorts of insight you’re right.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Regarding racism generally, it is entirely wrong to run away from it

Not really, after all, they tend to be very good at running and stuff like that

Sandwich

Peterfile a “gang” is the working unit be it painters, brickies or duct installers on a construction site.

alex222
    Free Member

sandwich i do believe peterfiles tongue was firmly in his cheek

trailmonkey

Uefa have made a serious gaffe in holding the tournamnet in Poland and Ukraine imho. Racism quite openly exists in their stadiums. Platini is quite right to point out that it is not football’s problem but society’s problem – just as English football hooliganism in the 1980s was society’s problem not football’s.

The big difference is that there is no way in a million years that the Euros would have been awarded to England whilst that problem existed.

Jamie
    Free Member

The big difference is that there is no way in a million years that the Euros would have been awarded to England whilst that problem existed.

Indeed. In fact English teams were banned from playing in Europe.

batfink
    Free Member

There are some really insightful comments

Alex222, do you work for a tabloid newspaper by any chance? Third word in my statement was “some”. Also, the quotes that you have chosen are not necessarily racist (please notice the use of the word “necessarily”).

They should **** off back to their own country if they don’t like the skin colour of some Britons. IMO.

^I’m sure the poster meant that multiculturalism is part of British society, and that should be accepted by anybody choosing to move here.

Pretty much every Pole I have ever worked with has turned out to be racist

^That’s one person telling us of his experience. It is not racist. All the Belgians I’ve ever met have been arrogant tw*ts. I’m not saying all Belgians are arrogant tw*ts, just the ones I’ve met (I’ve only met 2)… and I’m saying it because they were.

The racism debate is stifled because people are scared of takling a subject thats difficult to talk about – and it’s made diffult by people pouncing on the language used and pointing the racist finger.

alex222
    Free Member

i like this game

batfink
    Free Member

Thats the funny thing about racism debates….. how long does it take before desending into handbags. Frankly I’m amazed that STW has been as well behaved as it has! Nobody’s posted any pictures of the village people, or complainned about punctuation yet either 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nobody’s posted any pictures of the village people, or complainned about punctuation yet either

*Sits on hands….*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wunundred

SamCooke
    Free Member

I’ve never met an English person who is not a racist.

Dobbo

Nobody’s posted any pictures of the village people

Any excuse, the construction workers my favorite.

Edit: I’ve not bothered to read any of the preceding comments so don’t know why the were mentioned or the relevance of them to this thread. I just dipped in here.

alex222
    Free Member

I’ve never met an English person who is not a racist

Bloody racist 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Wunundred

You are Fred and I claim my £5

binners

More appropriate than the Village People…..

batfink
    Free Member

normal service seems to have been resumed…. all is right with the world

Dobbo

My eyes are just drawn to the mankini pouch, so plump and firm.

nealglover
    Free Member

Batfink, no point trying to be logical with Alex222 on this I’m afraid 🙄

He wants to pick a fight and won’t let it go, even though he’s clearly just trying to force a view that he doesn’t like, onto someone who doesn’t hold that view, just so he can argue with them.

zimbo
    Free Member

I think we can cut the Poles/Ukrainians etc. a tiny bit of slack. They’re societies in transformation, lurching from communism to capitalism in a very short space of time, so I don’t think we can expect that their societal norms are going to coincide with ours just yet. And they’re places that haven’t experienced high levels of immigration of non-whites as long ago as other places, so there’s a cultural ignorance in the mix too.
    We’ve come so far in twenty five years (Anfield, late eighties, racist Everton fans throwing bananas at John Barnes. Same era, institutional racism in the police force.) so let’s hope they get that far, that fast. Hopefully we’re way beyond Nazi salutes in football stadia, but I know a lot of people who think nothing of using the words “**** shop” and “darky” and see nothing untoward in it. Granted, I’m not in Islington, but we too are still a long way from where we need to be.

zimbo
    Free Member

I think we can cut the Poles/Ukrainians etc. a tiny bit of slack

Should clarify, I don’t mean tolerate it, more understand where it’s coming from…

anagallis_arvensis

Just seen Hodgson on tellybox “racism is something we might have to deal with it” you could try condemming it you dull ****.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I know a lot of people who think nothing of using the words “**** shop” and “darky” and see nothing untoward in it.

That’s probably because there is no racist intent, and it’s just the way they speak. Saying “I’m popping down the **** shop, do you want anything?” is easier, and sounds a lot more normal, than saying “I’m popping down to the asian owned convenience store, do you want anything?”. Many people can’t be arsed playing around with english language to suit the sensitivities of self-appointed guardians of grammar morality.

Mods aren’t very effective in the real world.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Zimbo[/b) quality post and one that makes me change my mind from thinking they are just a bunch of utter twunts. But still the English team and others have an obligation to confront such behaviour.

SD-253
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Heard this on the news this morning – didn’t FIFA try to say it wasn’t racist?!

A bit like the police and the Social workers denying that the raping disproportionately of white Christian children by Muslims of Pakistani origin was not racism or sectarianism. And nor was the Muslims elders statement racist or sectarian that the cause was a lack of self respect by the children.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Whilst out on a ride at Penmachno my riding buddy & I came across an eastern european couple looking for a shortcut back to the carpark, so we obliged by showing them the way, whilst riding along conversation ensued and found out they lived and worked in London and they strangely added its full of blacks & Muslims and they hated them 😮 we were rather taken aback but failed to enquire why. Struck me how willing they were to volunteer their view to complete strangers and without knowing who we were. Not saying all eastern europeans share their view but shocking none the less.

zimbo
    Free Member

“I’m popping down to the asian owned convenience store, do you want anything?”.

Bullsh*t ernie. What’s wrong with “shop”??

That’s probably because there is no racist intent

Maybe, maybe not. But it’s a racist word with a weight of prejudice behind it. I’m sure the Indian (as often as not)or Pakistani owner would probably object to the word, so why use it?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bullsh*t ernie. What’s wrong with “shop”??

Would Kwik-E-Mart be a suitable compromise?

zimbo
    Free Member

But still the English team and others have an obligation to confront such behaviour

I agree Stoats, and that’s probably all part of the learning and acceptance process.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That’s probably because there is no racist intent, and it’s just the way they speak. Saying “I’m popping down the **** shop, do you want anything?” is easier, and sounds a lot more normal, than saying “I’m popping down to the asian owned convenience store, do you want anything?”. Many people can’t be arsed playing around with english language to suit the sensitivities of self-appointed guardians of grammar morality.

You could just omit the word **** from your sentence and hey presto the same thing without any mention of the races of the owners of said shop
    I accept not everyone who does it is racist some are just ignorant and some just like controversy.
    Knowing many Asians they seem to be the people who object most to be called **** and it is not just because many of then dont come from pakistan, Unfortunately it is almost exclusively used in a derogatory way…except by ernie and his mates who wont be downtrodden by grammar morality[ its not grammar when it is about meaning btw ]

Stoat perhaps the FA could use JT to head their anti racist stance – probably be willing and use it as evidence in his defence of racism charges WIN WIN surely.

I would say probably better to get their own house in order than lecture others especially when stood on such rocky ground

SD-253
    Free Member

There is a house in a village near me, which used to be referred to as Black Bobs House. It wasn’t the proper name of the house it was just used as a reference point i.e. go left after Black Bobs house. As you can guess he was black and he was (he moved on after 20 years) the only black man who had ever lived in that village. RACIST?? Lets have a vote on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Racism’ is closed to new replies.