Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • racing Ralph 29er
  • rOcKeTdOg

Your experiences? Got a mate who hates the 26" version but I know a few of you ride them, would love the nobby nic 29ers but can't find any in this country, are RR a good alternative?

singlespeedstu

They're good in the dry, shite in the wet.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

my mate is using them for the k100….

big_scot_nanny

what singlespeed stu said, plus I find they are not all that good at cornering in anything loose or dusty.

So: light, fast rolling, great in straight line or on hardpack corners, crap on anything else.

I going to try ardents and see how they get on, but I do like mountain kings for most stuff (although heavy).

HTH!

Kev

rOcKeTdOg

what's a good allrounder then, Bonty XR and X mark on atm

thomthumb
    Free Member

i run the 2.4s.

i love them in all conditions – they only come off when they start to clog rather than slide. if that makes much sense.

I find them excellent at cornering due to having a very round shape they grip the same cranked over as upright.

don't think there is much need for a nic.

ralph or a mud tyre imo.

slowjo
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    i run the 2.4s.

i love them in all conditions – they only come off when they start to clog rather than slide.
    +1

I generally ride them all year round if I can in both 26 and 29 inch flavours. I only change when it becomes horribly gloopy/sticky

tang
    Free Member

i got the nics 29er snakeskin from bike24 £25 an end, been happy with them in these cotswold woods.

jfeb
    Free Member

+2 Brilliant all year round in 29er size. Just bloody expensive. Not used them in rocky conditions mind you.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Took my RR's off last year ans tried Ardents, prefer them TBH, South Downs chalk and roots for me most of the time though, definitely not much cop on them!

rOcKeTdOg

cheers tang bike 24 are 12 euros an end cheaper and half the postage 🙂

Brownbacks
    Free Member

RR last about 5 minutes at Lee Quarry (ask TwinklyDave)

Geax Saguro are an alternative

XR's are surprisingly good

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Same as Tang, the Nic snakeskins rule. Bike 24 deliver faster than many onshore shops 😕

99percentchimp
    Free Member

I run them too… like them for North Wales and seem to be lasting very well (trying to brake less then I used to). Good grip generally but I don't really have to put up with axle deep mud anywhere.

thekingofsweden

I like em I found I was running them too hard in the wet so dropped the press a bit

Tubeless up really easy too if that's your thing 🙂

singlespeedstu

tang and bigdug.

This what you ordered?

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=16460;page=1;menu=1000,2,103,212;mid=0;pgc=0

Doesn't say they're the snakeskin version?

tang
    Free Member

those are the ones. i wasnt so fussed as these cotswold woods are fine on the regulars. bonus when they came snakeskin, much better carcass. nothing even on the boxes indicating snakeskin.

rOcKeTdOg

yep, those are them

firestarter
    Free Member

HOw do the nics size up . Compared to say a bonty 2.25 cheers

rOcKeTdOg

dunno, not arrived yet 🙂

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Thats the ones Stu, think they only come in SS version. They work really well tubeless too, going up first attemt on a Stans rim with no rock rips that the standard Evos seeem to suffer from (yet!)

twinklydave

love 'em for their fast rolling, big & comfy tread and carcass and the distinct lack of weight

don't love 'em for their fragile sidewalls, fast wear rate*, and tyre lever-eating difficulty getting on and off the rim (seriously, I've snapped metal tyre levers fighting them on to stans rims!)

*admittedly all 'race' tyres will wear fast

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘racing Ralph 29er’ is closed to new replies.