Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Race Across America
  • simon_g

Anyone else following it? A friend is competing so I’ve been glued to the live tracking site.

Christoph Strasser has just finished as first solo male – a little over 3000 miles in 7 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes. Over 16mph including eating, sleeping (not a lot of it) and everything else. Incredible.

jameso

Didn’t realise there was a tracking site, damn. Reading ‘Hell on two wheels’ again after following the first 1/2 of the Trans-Am race. RAAM is nuts, the lack of sleep side of it particularly.

BoardinBob

Watched some documentary about a little German dude doing this race. Absolutely horrendous. If I remember correctly he got less than 2 hours sleep in 7 days and could barely function.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

What is the difference between TransAm and RAAM? Is it simply a different route?

blades2000
    Free Member

offthebrakes – Member
    What is the difference between TransAm and RAAM? Is it simply a different route?

AFAIK
    RAAM = supported
    TransAm = Unsupported

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Oh yes – I forgot that important detail!

jameso

Trans Am is 1200 miles longer also, further north so not as hot to start with. Uses the ACA BikeCentennial route.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Mike Halls got a 76 mile lead ATM.

There’s another Englishman in 3rd and an Irish fella in 4th

jameso

There’s a story in Hell On 2 Wheels about Jure Robic (4x RAAM winner?) going out riding in California with half a dozen road Pros who’d recently raced the Tour of California inc David Zabriskie, as pre-RAAM training. They wanted to try Robic out on a big climb well into a 120 mile ride but were all dropped by the top.

Hard to imagine being able to operate on 1hr or so kip per night over 8-9 days and probably not possible without a support crew to help, but what the RAAM soloists can ride through seems pretty incredible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Race Across America’ is closed to new replies.