Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick computer RAM question
  • juiced
    Free Member

Upgrading my RAM and not sure whether to go for 1GB total or 2GB total.Say I got 2 and did not need so much would I benefit anyway, or would it lay redundant until I installed extra applications?

Shakey
    Free Member

Howu much RAM have you got to begin with?

If you have Vista then 2GB is the minimum!

If you have XP then I would still do it unless the machine is fairly old and the it can be expensive.

Go to Crucial and it will tell you what memory you should install.

druidh
    Free Member

It won't hurt to go to 2GB.

juiced
    Free Member

XP with 480MB originally. New machine. £28ish per Gig. Have 2 slots. Not sure if I can run the original 480MB with a new 1GB.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers I will download the Crucial tool later. Thanks.

Shakey
    Free Member

You won't be able to run the 480MB plus the 1GB because you only have two slots – you will have to take one of the modules out to put the 1GB in.

This may not work (due to unmatched pairs)so I would by 2 of the 1GB modules!

juiced
    Free Member

ok. thanks.

lowey

2 gig is IIRC the max for XP, you can install more but the OP will never utilise it.

Vista is very Mem hungry and would need 2 meg as a min, run better with 4.

Windows 7 runs like a dream on 2 meg.

theflatboy
    Free Member

considering how cheap it is and how much of a difference it makes, there's very little to argue against putting as much in as you have the capacity for. max that $£!t out. 🙂

Drac

4 Gig is max in 32bit XP any more than that and it's not used, 2 gig will very noticeable speed increase from 480mb.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick computer RAM question’ is closed to new replies.