Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Quick chainset/front mech compatability question
  • Bazz

Will a 9 speed sram X7 front mech work with a 48-38-28 triple chainset?

And if not would a cheap shimano road triple front mech work with a 3 position sram X7 shifter?

The whole max teeth thing confuses me. Thanks.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I ‘think’ road front mechs have a slightly different throw to mtb ones.

I’m fairly sure the X7 would work with a triple of that size – more of a ‘hybrid’ sized chainset, so should work reasonably.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

So you are using an X7 front mech with an X7 front shifter on a triple chainset?

I think it will be fine. Just get your high and low stops set, and set the middle setting to the middle ring. The two outer rings should then be governed by the stops.

And you suggest a 20 tooth range, and I think MTB mechs can handle 22 teeth. (22-32-44 normally). Sounds like you have one of those CX chainsets.

In my latest experiment I noticed that a Deore 9 speed front mech didn’t get the full triple coverage when used with road STI shifters. A Tiagra road front mech worked fine. I ended up with Tiagra road STI shifter on a Deore MTB front mech, on a road double chainset. Works a treat.

Bazz

Thanks, just what i needed to here. I’ll be chucking the contents of my spares box onto a now spare frame to make a sort of flat barred hybrid/tourer, just need a chainset and didn’t really want a mtb one as the range would be a bit low for me on the road.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Quick chainset/front mech compatability question’ is closed to new replies.