Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Quick, £1500 burning a hole, need a car ASAP, practical or fun?…
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of Sciroccos of around that vintage.

Nice to look at and reliable but a Mondeo is more fun to drive tbh.

slimjim78
    Free Member

just knocked a dealer down from £1500 to £1000 on a 1.6 Mk4 Golf estate. highish miles (130k) but tons of history, cam belt changed etc.
    (yet to view it but looks/sounds mint)

I look at Golf estates and get excited at the prospect of filling them with bikes/tools.
    Is this normal?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I look at Golf estates and get excited at the prospect of filling them with bikes/tools.
    Is this normal? “

Nope becuase I cant think of a much more dull car to drive

will
    Free Member

That Mk4 Golf, although cheap will be painfully slow and not great on fuel at all!

I agree with Hora, a T5 would fit the bill.

5lab

isn’t a mk4 golf pretty ancient by now? a grand for one on 130k seems like quite strong money

vinnyeh

You’ve knocked the dealer down by £500 (a third) and haven’t even seen it yet? 🙂

I wouldn’t touch it if he’s playing that loose with his pricing.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Arghhhhh, a 1.6 Golf Estate. Come on, just try and live a little! For the same money you could buy a VW Corrado and perhaps actually enjoy driving the thing! Up to you though.

Christ – for a grand you could have bought this!

slimjim78
    Free Member

I think you are missing my points guys,
    Im pretty much past caring how ‘dynamic’ a car drives, 99% of modern cars drive almost the same as each other. Ive had plenty of fun cars in the past but the trade off is almost always running costs are higher.

Im my miserable early 30’s I know get much more pleasure from driving quirky bargains. Think ‘bangernomics’.
    Add to the mix that I have a soft spot for older VW’s and then you see why the Mk4 estate starts to appeal.
    I know I could get a Mondeo or Vectra (and may even look at them-yuk).. who knows, its a free for all!.
    Plus – It has to take child seat/s, and bikes without too much trouble.

Belive it or not, Mk4 estates are desirable and the prices are inflated over and above what you would ‘expect’ to pay, but have a look at the valuation guide for the car in question:

Dealer £1,250
    Private £1,170
    Part exchange £1,145
    Trade £945
    Cost new £14,450

Add to that its excellent service history, one owner from new, zero bodywork issues, it starts to look like a practical car for the money.

Plus, slam the suspension and stick some tunes in and in my eyes at least, its wickeddywickeddywhack!

weeksy

Mondeos are better 🙂 cheaper… nicer…

slimjim78
    Free Member

you know what? im also willing to accept that i have a weird taste in cars

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I have a friend that’s selling an original Toyota MR2 well within that budget?!

slimjim78
    Free Member

will it take a bike rack and child seat? ..

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Ive had plenty of fun cars in the past

A MK3 TDI Golf Estate – fun ???????

I know get much more pleasure from driving quirky bargains.

Again an old Golf Estate – how is that quirky or a bargain ??????

Im pretty much past caring how ‘dynamic’ a car drives, 99% of modern cars drive almost the same as each other.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I just know that I could never put up with a mediocre car in much the same way as I’d never want to put up with a mediocre life. Each to their own though.

By the way ‘slamming’ the suspension in a 1.6 Golf Estate – surely that’s akin to a geriatric old codger buying a pair of Addidas running shoes complete with track spikes. In other words a complete waste of money!

Sorry don’t mean to have a go, but there’s been loads of people on here trying to help you out with your car choice but it seemed like before you first posted that you’d made up your mind not to take anyone’s advice anyway.

weeksy

will it take a bike rack and child seat? ..

Yes but you’ll want to wrap him up warm in the winter.. it gets cold up on the bike rack

5lab

why not get a fastback then? at least that’s a quicky/unusual car.

sounds like you just want something ‘dubscene’. :S

slimjim78
    Free Member

A MK3 TDI Golf Estate – fun ???????

Yes! I fitted full leather, tweaked a few bits, stuck my bikes in and enjoyed the turbo whooosh!

Again an old Golf Estate – how is that quirky or a bargain ??????

granted, not that quirky, but how many other guys do you know driving one let alone desiring one?
    If you have to ask about old VW’s, then you’ll never understand.
    Plus it’ll take the bikes, kids, luggage etc all over the country at close to 40mpg – and probably wont depreciate when I come to move it on in a year or two. Thats a bargain.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I just know that I could never put up with a mediocre car in much the same way as I’d never want to put up with a mediocre life. Each to their own though.

mediocre car=value, feel free to throw thousands at yours. In the meantime ill use mine to take my bikes all over the place and fling my mediocre butt down mountains.

By the way ‘slamming’ the suspension in a 1.6 Golf Estate – surely that’s akin to a geriatric old codger buying a pair of Addidas running shoes complete with track spikes. In other words a complete waste of money!

Why?! that geriatric is having more fun and feels great! no harm in that.
    Plus slammed VW’s look ACE!

Sorry don’t mean to have a go, but there’s been loads of people on here trying to help you out with your car choice but it seemed like before you first posted that you’d made up your mind not to take anyone’s advice anyway.

Probably the opposite actually, im well open to other suggestions, which meet my criteria. So far ive been mostly offered gas guzzling saloons that dont suit any of my needs.

T5 aside. They are cool. But most have rocketship milage, and insurance is way high unfortunately.

slimjim78
    Free Member

why not get a fastback then? at least that’s a quicky/unusual car.

sounds like you just want something ‘dubscene’. :S

Funny you should say that – Ive wanted one for years and very nearly plumped for a couple of South African/Aussie imports.
    Stunnign cars, I love them.
    Unfortuantely on my current budget ill only be able to afford a rust bucket.
    And then theres winter reliability..

Great suggestion though, youre talking my language

NorthernStar
    Free Member

but im willing to consider just about anything else

So far ive been mostly offered gas guzzling saloons that dont suit any of my needs.

No problem, I think I get it – they don’t meet your needs because they are not a VW Golf Estate 🙄

slimjim78
    Free Member

I listed all the cars im keen on in first post, there were more than a golf estate!

5lab

why not get a caddy? at least they’re a little unusual.

a mk4 golf to me is neither old enough to be retro nor new enough to be nice. I understand running a crappy car as a crappy car (I have a £200 mondeo) but not if you want more out of it 🙂

5lab
    mk1fan
    Free Member

MX-5

Nice simple car. Fun to drive. Easy to maintain. Reasonably nippy but more about balance than stupidly high horse power.

The mark one version is unfortunately, and completely unavoidable, the gayest car ever made. Regardless of how tuned up and track focused they are, sit two men in the seats and they look like a couple contemplating life together.

Having ragged the tyres off my mates one on the way to Le Mans a few years ago we met up with our friends who kindly photographed our arrival. It looked like we were on honeymoon. Admittedly, the kissing probably didn’t help.

Fun cars to drive though. I’d have one as a toy.

Volvo T5 would be nice too. But potential ££££££ if things go wrong.

mk1fan
    Free Member

will – Member

That Mk4 Golf, although cheap will be painfully slow and not great on fuel at all!

I get over 40mpg out of my modded 1999 2.0 petrol Bora.

slimjim78
    Free Member

why not get a caddy? at least they’re a little unusual.

old school style or newer van style? (i like em both!)

Unfortunately that fastback needs a bit too much work. You can get pretty straight rust free RHD imported squarebacks for about £3k so makes that fastback seem a bit pricey.
    Nice colour though, savannah beige..

slimjim78
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

MR2 MK1

Northwind

Lots of comments about “fun cars”- you can have fun in any car, with the right approach and mindset. If you’re dependant on the hardware to enjoy yourself then fair enough but not everyone is.

slimjim78 – Member

Am currently negiotiating on a 91 Golf Mk2 Driver, 1 onwer, zero rust, low miles, 1.6auto box – whaddya reckon?

I reckon that should sell to someone who’ll put a new engine in it. If that’s you, then go for it.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Polo Gti tomorrow..

godzilla
    Free Member

Polo Gti tomorrow..

Black / Red / Silver / 5dr / 3dr? my little sis had one, it was fit and fun, i was keen for one myself but ended up with a Fabia vRS.
    Slammed Dud’s rock, (If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin)

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Polo Gti tomorrow

Make sure the gearbox is not ready to go bang – otherwise normal checks will get you a fun little toy

Inbred456
    Free Member

I had an old golf estate 1.9tdi mk 4. Worst handling car i have ever had but i quite liked it. Our focus and mondeo estates are better in every way, having said that i could of sold that car 10 times over with 150k on the clock.. People love the badge.

hora
    Free Member

A 130k 1.6 VW for 1k? I’d rather spend 1k on a full service history Ford Puma thanks.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Puma? neh.

Black / Red / Silver / 5dr / 3dr?

3 door silver. Would go for a 5 door as I think they still look fine but this one has super low mileage and one owner etc etc.

Make sure the gearbox is not ready to go bang

yes the gearbox track record isnt great and does worry me slightly. Not sure what to check for other than strange/louder than normal noises in neutral, and jumping out of gears.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

I have an 02 astra estate 2.0 dti for sale for £1500, 83k on the clock. Tax test, new front tyres, recent discs and pads all round, brake pipes all round. In silver. Bike fits in the back with wheels in when seats are down. Drives well ands strts first time.tow bar and roof rails , selling due to new job and going to one car

slimjim78
    Free Member

sorry mate, im under strict instruction from the wife not to bring back a Vauxhall.
    That was her only condition!

slimjim78
    Free Member

ok, test driven the Polo, lovely looking car, with lovely spec. But… fairly perched driving position (for a taller chap) even compared to other Polo’s test driven.
    And gearbox linkage felt a bit sloppy. Its was probably fine 9of course the dealer said they are all like that) but having driven my Mrs Audi A2 over it felt worlds apart.

So..back to the E30. I reckon the future is boxy with super low mileage

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Haha, it wasnt my first choice either, i wrote off a bora and had to get one within a week and this was an easy option!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have a friend that’s selling an original Toyota MR2 well within that budget?!

I’m going to hate myself, but..

How much?

hora
    Free Member

Binners missus has a polo gti- I think its cost a tidy sum in repairs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Quick, £1500 burning a hole, need a car ASAP, practical or fun?…’ is closed to new replies.