Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Question for hot hatch fans
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Second-hand Edition 30 Golf, or new Renaultsport 200 Clio?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Civic Type R

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Clio

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Type-R: tried one of them, very good but couldn't live with the styling. (Also the ride put me off – felt like it had no give at all, whereas the Clio Cup seems to feel stiff and supple at the same time.)

l45key
    Free Member

Golf Edition 30 or the Pirelli limited edition(fantastic design on the seats)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

MG metro turbo 😀

You can spend the change sorting out the rust and replacing the engine each time it blows up.

l45key
    Free Member

Nice!

richmtb

Personally I'd have the Golf. Really nice inside, well put together good residuals. Much more room then the Clio, cracking engine and good fun to drive.

The Clio (i've never driven one I have to say) is probably more fun to hustle down a B road but I'd still have the Golf

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Had a Civic Type-r as a company car, much happier to be back in an Octavia VRS.

I'd go Golf out of those 2, unless you're early 20's / don't mind people thinking you're a cock stand.

nicko74

Golf – depreciation on the Renault will hit you harder, plus they're still not quite as well put together as VWs.

Now if you'd said Clio Trophy or Golf Edition 30, that would be a different question… But then it would *actually* be a different question 😳

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

thinking your a cock stand

LOL, but that's what I think of vRS drivers 🙂

Clio has a chavvy image. But why should chavs have all the fun?

Love the Pirelli interior.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Golf – depreciation on the Renault will hit you harder,

But new price would be considerably cheaper wouldn't it?

EDIT: Noticed, second-hand v new.

Err, not sure now.

joolsburger
    Free Member

To be honest I had a civic and I agree it's something of a marmite motor, I loved it my wife hated it.

I've had Golfs and if you can live with the dealers they are good cars a couple of mine had probelms with the electrics though..

leggyblonde
    Free Member

clio trophy or a 172/182 with the cup chassis.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well get the Clio then and we'll both look like cock stands then.

I'm off to get mine chipped and re-mapped might even see 220 bhp out of it.

tony24
    Free Member

renaultsport 200 is supposed to be best handling clio apparently it is reminiscent of the old peugeot 205 gti handling 😀

will
    Free Member

out of the 2 the clio please. However… Seat leon cupra?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The Golf by MILES.

The Renault handles well and is quick but the dealers are just shocking and they still fall to bits.

The Golf has a nice torquey engine, is really quick, handles very well and is MUCH nicer inside.

Those recommending CTRs have no idea what torque is – a CTR has almost none so unless you like ragging the s**t out of your car (occasionally fun, often wearing) then it'll get right on your nerves.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Golf every time. Won't let you down. Great to live with. Won't start to rattle like a hyperactive skeleton in a biscuit tin

sofatester
    Free Member

One question – Why? 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Surf mat you are dead sure of yourself there but I think you're wrong.

I have had a Type R, a golf R32 and a volvo V50 T5 in the last few years.

The civic is fast even at low revs and will happpily pull from 30 in 6th. The other two are of course much happier low down in the rev range but for most day to day driving all three are perfectly fine. Where the civic scores is its handling and the fact that the K20 engine is a masterpiece, combined with a perfect gearchange for a 17k car. If you like drving hard and being involved it is the absolute nuts I did 23k in mine no worries. Get a mugen tune and 9.5k revs are possible and sound like nothing else in a production car (except an S2000)it's addictive..

My brother has one of those ST Ford Focus's I'd say that's also worth a look.

Milkie
    Free Member

Really people should be asking, what are you going to be using it for?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

what are you going to be using it for?

Getting to work in and having fun with on the weekends. No track use. But I want something I'm going to enjoy driving.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The civic is fast even at low revs and will happpily pull from 30 in 6th

You must be happy pulling away verrrrrry sloooowwwwwly then!

Until the revs kicked in mine drove like a pretty normal car.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Lack of torque also ruled out Type-R for me, along with the daft styling.

I had a MkII GTI, loved it but just a bit bored of Golfs. Renault seems a bit more hardcore. Build quality better than it used to be? … chassis and engine tuned by car nuts in Dieppe … I'm favouring Renault.

I think I'm just bored of all VAG product.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jools – I do like the CTR is many ways and it DOES have one of the best gearboxes available in any car but the following put me off (this was the last shape – not the current one) when I tested one:

Needs thrashing – it really does
    Back end is skittish
    Electric assisted steering is a big vague
    Interior although well made, just looks a bit chav
    They are MPV shaped.

Focus ST is very good in many ways but the mpg is just insane for a car with (only) just over 200bhp. A Golf GTi, even an edition 30 will do low 30s – an ST is low 20s. And the older ST (ST170) handles better too.

tron
    Free Member

Golf. A Clio will be fun, but you can actually use a Golf as a proper car. Do big miles in it, sit 5 in it, put bikes in the back easily etc.

A Clio will do your head in when you're not ragging it around.

Shandy
    Free Member

Got to be the Golf really, depreciation on the Renault will be ridiculous. I looked at the Megane a couple of years ago, lovely car to drive but if I'd bought one I'd probably have 3 or 4 grand less to put into my next motor.

davidrussell
    Free Member

clio – golf is overpriced and a bit dull looking.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

leggyblonde – you seem to know your Clios – is what people are saying about them being rattly and annoying true? The 200 I drove seemed pretty well made, to be honest. And my Golf rattled.

(I like your website by the way.)

nicko74

Interesting point actually – a more fair comparison in terms of size would be Megane vs Golf. Megane R26, or possibly dCi, I reckon 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those recommending CTRs have no idea what torque is

You appear to be a little confused yourself.

RS4KEV

If it's the golf check the seats before you buy it, the bolsters are bl@@dy uncomfortable 😡

R32 for sale, any takers?

Pigface
    Free Member

Drove a ST Focus the other day and was amazed, very very good.

Get a Mk 2 golf and throw some money at it would be my choice.

davidrussell
    Free Member

leggyblonde – you seem to know your Clios – is what people are saying about them being rattly and annoying true? The 200 I drove seemed pretty well made, to be honest. And my Golf rattled.

can't speak for the 200 series, but you dont buy a 1*2 clio for the interior, lets put it that way 🙂

However if you want a car that is superb on the twisties but is still mannered enough for day to day driving then a 182 takes some beating IMO.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That focus ST has the same lump as my V50 T5 dead smooth, hugely powerful and fast the ST hits around 238BHP on 99 octane fuel.

I've driven my brothers a good few times and I like it lots reminded me of my R32 power delivery wise but had more grip and better handling.

Quite nice inside too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You appear to be a little confused yourself.

Please explain further.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

R32 for sale,

Go on then, tempt me … details?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I had a mk4 R32 for a year – really liked it. Amazing sounding engine, effortless and unstressed, pretty quick (but should have had more bhp for a 3.2 V6) and gripped incredibly well. Nice inside too.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

See, people who know Clios (I'm talking Cup versions) seem to really love them.

I like the Clio cos it feels a bit bananas. Whereas the Golf feels mature … like your Mum.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Question for hot hatch fans’ is closed to new replies.