Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Quantocks trail condition (dead women's ditch)
  • ruscle
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone know’s if the tree which had fallen across the twisty rooty descent (1 on the right) from dead women’s ditch has been cleared? Needed someone with a saw to clear it. I’m off to the Q on saturday and wanted to know which descent to take from DWD, I prefer this twisty descent as long as their is no tree’s in the way!

ruscle
    Free Member

anyone?

sharki
    Free Member

Is that the one to the right of the actual ditch itself, heading down towards Holford? or The concrete block trail? I’ll be heading up in a bit for the night and will see to it with my wee chopper.

I always carry my saw and think most riders should as i can never be sure someone else has cleared the trail for the next time. 😀

Will report in tomorrow, as i’m sleeping up there tonight.

jam-bo

Will report in tomorrow, as i’m sleeping up there tonight.

tramp.

ruscle
    Free Member

Hi Sharki, Yes its the one to the right of the ditch dead opposite the car park. The tree is towards the bottom just where it starts to straighten out and about 150 meters before it joins the end of the ditch run at the bottom of the combe. That would be great if you could clear it as it was a bit of a largish tree and was too heavy for 4 of us to move! was up their about 3 weeks ago on a sunday when it was very monsoon like weather, I think you were up their yourself showing a group around.

sharki
    Free Member

Was certainly a wet one.

I’ll sort it either today or tomorrow for ya.

I prefer the gully run as it’s a bit daft, especially with tree debris and those rocks covered in leaves. lol

ssjeff
    Free Member

You could always use 29er wheels as TnT and carry out a controlled explosion 😎

sharki
    Free Member

My chopper does a splendid controlled explosion thanks. 😆

ruscle
    Free Member

Cheers Shane, will certainly take some chopping although I expect its abit rotten aswell. Will try the ditch run 1 day, I just like all the roots and the way its like a slalom course at the start. Have the trails dried out?

sharki
    Free Member

Sorted.
    A lovely piece of solid seasoned oak that.
    Took about 30mins of mutilation, followed by a bit of muscle to make the final break, which put me on my ass. lol
    its been years since I’ve even looked at that run, my how its evolved…

trails are looking mint, condtions as dry as they get, with a good smattering of fallen leaves.

enjoy.

ruscle
    Free Member

Can’t thank you enough Shane, Yes I do like that run quite rough/twisty and rooty and loads of fun then a short climb back up to Bin combe which is oh so sweet. May see you on the trails Saturday as down their in the morning riding from 9am onwards from Holford and if your in the Holford area at 1-1.30pm ish pop into the pub and I will shout you lunch and a pint for clearing the trail. Once again thanks.

sharki
    Free Member

No probs, i was up there anyway so packed the tent and dealt with the tree before brekie 😉

I’m doing a rare mornings work tomorrow so doubt i’ll ride tomorrow at all. 🙁

The Plough may be closed whilst the lease holders attempt to get someone in there to run it, so might be a bad move to depend on it, the grub wagon should be open up the road in the layby, but even that’s gone to pot..

My suggestion would be to use bincombe as a descent to lunch in the rose in nether stowey, that or the Hood in kilve. The blue ball in Triscombe would be suggested but i can’t guarantee that will be open either.

If you do choose the rose, here’s how to get there.
    When you get to the bottom of Bincombe, take the usual route up as if to climb back up to the gibbet(corner of the road) now! here’s the difficult part and fun for me to send you there 😉 as you climb and near the point where the trail pushes you over to the right(before it cuts under and through dense trees) look for a fairly obvious path on the right, which is now no doubt not at all obvious, lol. It drops gently down and finally ends up bringing you into a holly tree slalom section, you will get prickled. You’ll then come out on the bottom track again having missed out the slop, find the gate and go through it. Follow the path and at the junction, go straight on. After approx 100 yards watchout as the path turn left up some steps, stick left of the steps and you can ride up, carry your speed though and commit. follow all the way to the end, turning left at the road. Stay on the road all the way to the end, turn right at T and follow down the narrow street, The rose is next to the George on the left hand side, slip the bikes up the alley under the coach house doors.
    To get back, follow the same route, but after the gate go straight on and endure the mud..

The hoods easier to get to, but at a premium price.

saladdodger
    Free Member

But the Hood does a superb Venison though

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks trail condition (dead women's ditch)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM