• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Quantocks – Slaughterhouse Combe
  • DJ
    Free Member

Hi All,

Just been planning my next ride for the Quantocks and need your advice. I’ve been down Slaughterhouse Combe a few times and really enjoy it, the stream crossings and flowing stuff towards the bottom. I just wondered what it was like as a climb? I’m trying to avoid climbing Lady’s Edge and Somerton Combe as I do them all the time.

Cheers

sharki
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a pig of a climb TBH, after the last crossing where it turns sharp right(ascending) the trail is quite spongey as well as fairly steep. I’ve done it a few times but find Ladies and somerton much easier.

The alternatives out of Hodders combe are Willoughbys, short combe, the climb out up to Hare Knapp or at the far reach, up past the Dog pound.

Willoughbys is of a fair steepness, and favoured by horse riders meaning this time of year it can be mulchy, there are three root steps you’ll need to clear making it difficult to clear in oner. It get’s steeper as it climbs out into the clearing, if you keep left the trail will climb then undulate all the way back to the top of ladies, or you can go straight on and pick up longstone ridge.

Short combe is pretty much next to the trail head of willoughby’s, but instead of climbing north out of the combe it heads west up through a valley floor, it’s soft in places causing drag, then splits of to the left and climbs up a grassy trail which get very steep(this is hard work or a nice walk) this will come the the great road(track) on the whole it’s not recommended.

Heading east you can climb up to hares knapp, follow the course to somerton combe, the trail ascends a really steep loose section(after stream crossing) and there at the top a trail splits of left, somerton being to the right(straight on) it’s hard going and perhaps even a little hike a bike to get to the grassy trail between lower hare and higher hare knapps.

Dog pound needs little explanation(it’s up pretty much all the way to Beacon hill)

There’s your options out of Hodders, the other way is out from Holford combe where you have at least 6 ascending options.

Up to Dowsborough(two choices)
    Ladys combe(pleasant)
    Frogcombe(challenging rooty section 2/3rds up)
    Horizon, easiest. It’s the one that starts at the bottom of frog after the stream crossing as if your heading down the combe, it heads up to your left coming out just below Higher hare knapp.

HTH Enjoy.

DJ
    Free Member

I knew I could rely on you Sharki. Cheers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks – Slaughterhouse Combe’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM