Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Q for whisky lovers
  • grahamh
    Free Member

Worth it??
    Xmas presnt for a whisky loving brother inlaw???

Haribo
    Free Member

NO NO NO NO NO

spend an extra (£5 maybe) go to tescos (well in scotlandshire anyway) and buy a decent speyside.

or

IF you can get a bottle of black famous grouse (islay grouse) again tescos as a blend its pretty decent and you coud save a fiver

CountZero

Found this review on http://www.themorningadvertiser.co.uk, which seems to be a licensed trade publication:

Glen Marnoch 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky (Aldi £11.99) tasted recently with a group of malt whisky buffs. Verdict: a super, mellow, smoky malt whisky with hints of peat and heather. The slightly dry aftertaste diminishes after a while, leaving an impression of dark chocolate on the back palate. As good as any, and just look at the price!

I'm as fond as any of a really good malt, preferring the Islay's, but I will certainly check out a bottle or two of this. I'd say go for it, it's an eighteen yr old single, fer chris'sake; there are blends cost a lot more than that.

lister

i'm watching this space with interest…sounds good, but…there have to be doubts.

TooTall
    Free Member

A friend of my dads, who really knows his stuff, does rate the occasional Aldi / Lidl tipple.

Garry_Lager

It might be ok-ish, but the likes of laphroaig 10 yo is £21 from Tescos, so the Glen Marnoch is not really worth looking at.

Keva
    Free Member

never tried it so I dunno. I wouldn't risk it though, just me, I don't gamble either.

miketually
    Free Member

Is Aldi still doing the Glen Moray for less than a tenner? A proper Speyside, so a bargin.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tried a speyside last week, really wasnt keen. Just no real flavour to it.

No idea about this aldi tipple, but I've found I'm VERY selective lol.

boxelder

No. You'd be better off spending a similar amount on a half bottle of something unusual/interesting.
    Like this

edhornby

this is the same price as the Asda 10yo islay single malt (which incidentally I think is rebranded Bunnahabin)

gotta be worth a go….

ok I'll take one for the team and buy a bottle, tell you if it's good or not. Plan ???

being serious for one second, I'd say not as a present but for a home drinker it could be a win

edhornby

just thought, if he's a whisky lover, get him a voucher for http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com

you'll look like you really know your shit 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

tesco do an own branded islay for around £17 which s very nice, but my favourite is Benromach for £22.

scotabroad

For that price its got be worth a punt?

AdamML
    Free Member

The Wee Dram whisky shop in Bakewell have a single cask bottling of Caol Ila under their own label. £30 a bottle for something really special…

simon1975

Aberlour's a nice speyside for £18 at Tesco at the moment

I'm liking Tobermory right now which was on offer at Morrison's for about £17 I think. Not quite as "smoky" as the Islays.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Tesco do some pretty good deals – a quinta rubain is in the low £20's as is highland park 12 yo

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Q for whisky lovers’ is closed to new replies.